A Part of my RAGLE Family History
John Ragle, age 61, born in Sullivan County, Tennessee. Alfred Ragle, son of John Ragle, was born 21 February 1834 Raglesville, Orange, Indiana; married 13 January 1854 Daviess County, Indiana to Minerva Almeda Casey. He died 29 November 1899.
Children of Alfred Ragle and Minerva Casey, all born in Raglesville, Indiana: (My line)
1. Eliza Jane (Dicy) Ragle born 1 January 1855, married 1st to John Glenn; married 2nd George DePew Smith She died 1934, probably in Topeka Kansas (My line)
2. Minerva Frances Ragle, born 1858, married William Edward Bennett. They had a son named Roy Alfred Bennet
3. William Dempsey Ragle, born 1859, died 20 September 1865
4. Mary Ellen Ragle
5. Thomas Webster Ragle born about July 1864, died 15 September 1865
6. John Ross Ragle born 1867
7. Ella Ragle born 1869, married 21 December 1887 to Charles H. Meyers
8. Bertha Estella Ragle born 20 December 1871, married 12 September 1892 to Ira Albert Correll. She died 26 October 1949 in Austin, Texas
9. Lena Larue Ragle born 1873, married Marchion
10. Charles Edwin Ragle born 25 August 1875, died 25 April 1878
11. Claude Alfred Ragle born 1877/78, m. 12 Nov 1898 to Phoebe Helm, had son Alfred C. Ragle (Alvie), born 17 May 1899.
Note: Notice the death dates for William Dempsey Ragle and Thomas Webster Ragle, is September 1865. They were both babies. There must have been some bad epidemic at the time.
The picture is Claude Alfred Ragle, Sr., son of Nathan S. Ragle, the brother of Alonzo Ragle.
Obituary, The Odon Journal, Odon, Indiana, Saturday, December 2, 1899, page 3:
ALFRED RAGLE DEAD. AN OLD SOLDIER EXPIRES SUDDENLY WEDNESDAY EVENING. – Alfred Ragle, a soldier of the late Civil war, died very suddenly Wednesday evening. Mr. Ragle was subject to heart trouble, and it was the cause of his death. He was on our streets as usual that day, seemingly as well as ever. About five o'clock he dropped in Erwin's meat market. He was taken home, and died a few minutes after arriving there
Daughter of Minerva Almeda Casey and Alfred Ragle, Eliza Jane (Dicy) Ragle was my Great Grandmother. I have quite a lot of history on that family as well as the Smith family of Eliza Jane (Dicy) Ragle. She married secondly to George DePew Smith, son of Samuel S. Smith, born in Connecticut.