<< Previous - Next >>

ABERFELDIE NEAR ESSENDON, VIC., AUST. (HOW SPRING HILL BECAME ABERFELDIE.)

Journal by itellya

I found this advertisement while researching 22E Doutta Galla re Airport West.

Aberfeldie was originally called "Spring Hill" by James Robertson Snr of "Upper Keilor". When he died, "Mar Lodge" passed to his son, Francis, a bachelor who became a politician,and "Spring Hill" to another son,James. The latter stayed at Upper Keilor to care for his mother but after her death,he built a mansion on Spring Hill and called it Aberfeldie.

TO Let by Tender, on Lease for Seven Years or more, one of the most desirable Farms in the colony of Victoria, and only five miles distant from the city, known as Springhill,
The property of James Robertson, Esq., of Keilor, situate in the parish of Doutta Galla, and consisting of 180 acres of rich agricultural land, entirely fenced in, and at present in cultivation.
A dwelling-house is already erected, and the proprietor of the property is disposed to treat liberally with a tenant who may desire to make improvements.
Entry will be given on the first of March next.
Further information may be obtained on application to G. MILLAR, Estate Factor, 32 Queen-street, Melbourne.

(P.3, Argus,21-11-1855.)

Spring Hill was the most southerly of many properties whose names referred to springs. William Foster called his grants (3 Tullamarine and 21 Doutta Galla) "Springs",probably due to a never-failing spring at Melway 5K12 in what became Edmund Dunn's "Viewpoint",feeding a creek that crossed Broadmeadows Road (now Mickleham Rd) and Macedon Road (now Melrose Drive ) and, following the east boundary of today's Leo Dineen Reserve, passed through the present right of way to meet the western branch of Spring Creeknear the end of Clyne Court. Spring Creek then joined Steeles Creek (which flows through Spring Gully)just south of the boundary between "Springs" and "Springfield" at Melway 15 F7, that point being a water reserve.Another tributary of Steeles Creek starts in Airport West and flows through "Spring Park" to join up just south of the A.J.Davis Reserve.
Wilson and James Anderson's farm on Main's Estate, west of Hoffman's Rd was called Springbank. Dugald McPhail bucked the trend and called his farm (between Rosehill rd and Buckley St)"Rose Hill".

MAURICE QUINLAN AND ABERFELDIE.
Bookmaker Maurie died in 1918 and his residence, the Aberfeldie mansion, was advertised for sale along with part of Airport West and many farms near Bulla.


"ABERFELDIE", Essendon, the residence of the late Mr Quinlan consisting of handsome bluestone dwelling, containing 9 rooms, bathroom, pantry,scullery, and large vestibule, bluestone stable (5 stalls, loose box, feed room, harness room), man's quarters, and sheds. Land 300ft frontage west side Aberfeldie street situated within ten minutes' walk of Essendon railway station, off Buckley street, and commanding a position that is entitled to be designated as superb.
(P.3,Argus, 26-4-1919.)

Anyone wishing to know more about the mansion or the development of Aberfeldie should visit the Essendon Historical Society's Courthouse Museum at Moonee Ponds.

Surnames: ANDERSON FOSTER McPHAIL ROBERTSON WILSON
Viewed: 446 times
by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2013-03-14 03:20:14

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.