Aldercar Hall, Heanor
Aldercar is an old area of what is now a joint parish with Langley Mill. The grandest building in Aldercar (and Langley Mill too, for that matter) was Aldercar Hall. By the mid 1800's the Hall, originally built in 1668, was occupied by the Wright family, partners in the booming Butterley Company, which had bought the land in the early 19th century as part of their expansion into the Heanor area. The 1881 census gives some idea of the grand nature of the Hall. Amongst the 17 occupants at that time, as well as the master of the house, Francis Beresford Wright, described as "Iron and Coal, Proprietor of the Butterley Company, JP for the County of Derby, MA Cambridge, Farmer of 295 acres," there were also 9 servants: a lady's maid, a housekeeper, a laundry maid, two housemaids, a kitchen maid, a nursery maid, a groom and a footman.
The 1900 Ordnance Survey map gives some idea of the splendour of the hall, with its fishponds, boat house and gardens.