Andrew & Ann GILLIES of Ardnamurchan -Argyllshire Scotland.
Andrew Gillies was born 1797 & his wife Ann (nee MacEachen) 1800. In the 1841 & 1851 census in Scotland, they were living Back of Keppoch Ardnamurchan Inverness.
They left Scotland in 1852 with their family for South Australia. There were 6 young adults & 3 children in the family, however I think two of the young women were cousins - not siblings.
Arriving with Andrew & Ann on the Medina were -
1. Anne 27
2. Angus 25
3. Mary 18
4. Donald 15
5. Christina 13
6. Ewen (Hugh) 10
7. John 7
8. Ann 25*
9. Catherine 22*
Both John & Catherine* married into my family.
1. Anne married James Palmer in 1862 in Adelaide - but died five years later - no issue.
2. Angus Gillies married Mary Jane Kelly in 1879 at Jamestown S.A. They had a son William John in 1880.
3. Mary married John O'Donohue in 1864 at Morphett Vale S.A. Their children were Joseph 1865, John 1867, Maryanne 1869, Ann 1873, Andrew 1875 & Margaret 1878.
4. Donald married Elizabeth Dickson in 1862 also at Morphett Vale. They had one son Nicholas in 1863.
5. Christina Gillies was unmarried & died 1915 - no issue.
6. Hugh married Sarah Stock in 1882 at Maitland S.A. They had Frances Ann 1882, Christina 1885, Clara Edith 1888, William Andrew 1890, Mary 1893, Hugh 1895, Victor John 1897 & Florence Monica 1899.
(Hugh & his family used GILLIS as the surname.)
7. John married Catherine Kenihan - the daughter of an early South Australian colonist Hugh Kenihan. Their daughter Rose May was my grandmother.
8. I have found no information on Ann* (the sister of Catherine).
9. Catherine* married my paternal great grandfather Patrick O'Neil. Their children Mary Anne 1864, John (Jack) 1866, Catherine 1868, Andrew 1870 & Michael 1873 were born at Willunga, S.A. lived in Port Elliott then Broken Hill.
I would love to hear from anyone who could help me add to my tree.
*Cousins not siblings - most likely.