Andrew James CURRY + Nancy Lamphier MAHER - Blenheim
From the Cyclopedia of New Zealand
written about 1905
... Mr. Andrew James Curry, formerly Bandmaster of the Blenheim Volunteer Band, first took up his duties in 1890, and after devoting about two years to the conductorship he resigned. Mr. Nancarrow help the leadership till 1897, when Mr. Curry again took charge for some time.
Mr. Curry was born in Wellington in 1856, and followed the trade of a joiner. He has been associated with musical matters all his life, and was a member of the Wellington Artillery Band for two years under Mr. Salvatore Cimino
Andrew was a Carpenter and a representative of the Carpenters' and Plumbers' Industrial Union in Blenheim.
He married Nancy Lamphier MAHER (1861-1900) in 1892
- Nancy was a daughter of Michael MAHER of Tipperary, Ireland & Elisabeth HOULT
- the 6 known children of Andrew & Nancy:
1893 - 1966 Theresa Marion Curry
- Theresa married Charles Edwin COSTELLO (1886-1951) in 1927
1894 - 1916 Andrew John Curry
- Andrew was a Law Clerk.
- January 1907 ... Master ANdrew Curry, son of Mr A. Curry, of Blenheim, has been successful in winning the O'Leary Scholarship, which is tenablefor three years at St atrick's College, Wellington
- He served in WWI as Rifleman 25/533 with the New Zealand Rifle Brigade, 3rd Battalion, C Company. HIs Next Of Kin was listed as his father Andrew James Curry, Blenheim
- he also served in Egypt
- he was KILLED IN ACTION 2 Oct 1916 aged 22 on Somme, France
- he is buried IV.F.23. at Beaulencourt British Cemetery, Ligny-Thilloy, France
1896 - 1936 Elizabeth Ellen Curry
- Elizabeth died, unmarried, aged 40
1897 - 1960 Leonard Alphonso Curry
- Leonard was a Law Cerk
- he served twice in WWI as Private 3/3640 with the NZEF, *Hospital Ship No 2 Marama (Third Charter) Staff & *Hospital Ship No 2 Marama (Second Sailing of Third Charter) Staff
1899 - 1975 Rhoda May Curry
- Rhoda married Richard Francis GRIFFIN
1899 - 1984 Annie Mary Monica Curry
- Annie married Alfred Henry DAVY (1896-1973) in 1922
Nancy died on 9 September 1900 aged 39
...On 9th September, 1900, at Springlands, Blenheim, New Zealand, Nancy Lamphier, wife Andrew Curry, aged 39 years.
Andrew died 25 January 1926 aged 69
... On the 25t January, 1826, at Blenheim, Andrew James Curry; aged 69 yeara. Deeply regretted. Requiescat in pace