Any information on Victor ( Mark) Hansen brn 1887 Pakenham Australia and arrival in NZ, settled in Balclutha NZ. On Electoral Roll 1911 :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

Any information on Victor ( Mark) Hansen brn 1887 Pakenham Australia and arrival in NZ, settled in Balclutha NZ. On Electoral Roll 1911

Question by Graham2

His parents were Hans Christian Hansen born 1857 in Denmark Aahrus I think. His mother was Janet, nee Hunter, had previously married to Abraham Tenderson, her parents were from Scotland.

Viewed: 794 times
by Graham2 Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2017-07-09 11:41:59

Graham2 has been a Family Tree Circles member since Nov 2012.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by bighaich47 on 2017-07-09 11:49:59

Name: Victor Hansen
Birth Date: abt 1886
Death Age: 71
Death Date: 13 May 1957
Death Place: Dannevirke
Burial Place: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Cemetery: Mangatera
Spouse Name: Margaret Florence Hansen
Spouse Death Date: 14 May 1977.

Hi could this be the Victor.?


by bighaich47 on 2017-07-09 12:01:22

Hi Graham, Found a Family Tree on Ancestry belonging to someone called dandavo so if you is on Ancestry look it up. This is what he has on Victor.
Victor Martin HANSEN

BIRTH 1887 • Pakenham, Victoria, Australia
DEATH 22 NOV 1926 • Balclutha, Otago,NZ.
Ethel Muriel Maker

BIRTH 18 FEB 1895
DEATH 22 JUL 1958 • Balclutha, Otago,NZ.
05 APR 1915 • Balclutha, Otago,NZ
Ethel Muriel Maker (1895–1958).
A Son.
Thomas Maker Hansen

BIRTH 24 SEP 1918 • Balclutha, Otago,NZ
DEATH 09 AUG 2005 • Balclutha, Otago,NZ

Victor's Parents.
Hans Christopher HANSEN

BIRTH 15 MAR 1858 • Aarhus, Denmark
DEATH 25 JUN 1937 • Coburg, Victoria, Australia.


BIRTH 1855 • Templestowe, Victoria, Australia
DEATH 9 AUG 1935 • Fairfield, Victoria, Australia.

Hope this helps you, good hunting.


by Graham2 on 2017-07-09 16:01:33

Harry, thanks for that, I do have access to Ancestry. In the middle of trying write up a family history The Third Generation, have come a little unstuck, have all that information and have found Electoral Rolls of 1911, 1914, was actually trying work out when he came to NZ and what was the connection to him in Balclutha in Sth Otago. Could you suggest any sites for shipping lists, actually found one with him possibly in England, do not think that is right. It is the questions we never asked and Dad did not say too much or we did not ask, guess it may have been because he was a child when his father died. Once again thank you for your assistance.

by bighaich47 on 2017-07-09 19:58:23

Hi Graham, Don't know any at all, but googled to see what was there. Came up with a good one on Family Search should help you out. I Googled " What Passenger shipping lists are available from Australia to NZ.".

New Zealand, Immigration Passenger Lists (FamilySearch Historical Records).
New Zealand Shipping Passenger Lists
This page was last updated on Monday, 02 April 2012 02:38:47 AM.

There are a number of sites dedicated to researching Passenger Lists.
These are some (but by no means all) of them...

Many more on that page Ancestry, Roots, Free Pages Etc, let me know how you get on. Good hunting


by janilye on 2017-07-10 15:37:09


Mr H. J. Dixon, S.M., district coroner, conducted an inquiry touching the death of Victor Mark Hansen, aged 39, which occurred in the Balclutha Public Hospital early on Monday morning last. The inquiry was held in the Balclutha Courthouse on Wednesday. Detective Farquharson (Dunedin) represented the police, and Mr R. R. Grigor (Balclutha) appeared on behalf of the officials of the Balclutha Card Club. The widow of the deceased was not represented by counsel. The first witness called by the police was Angus Stewart M'Diarmid, taxi driver, Balclutha, who said that on Saturday, November 6, he went to the house of deceased at 2 p.m. and invited him to go to witness’s place, where there was a two-gallon jar of beer. Hansen did not come with witness then, but came about 4 p.m. There were two other men present and the four of them drank nearly all the beer. They then went with Hansen to his place, where witness had tea, and left about 8 p.m. for the Dalton Hall, where the Card Club was holding a party. He did not go in with Hansen, but followed him a little later. Hansen was not very sober, but he was quite sensible. On arrival at the card party they had a few more drinks of beer. Witness had four, but could not say how many deceased had. Witness had occasion to leave the hall for a little while, and when he came back the deceased was making a noise about a glass not being filled for him. This glass was one that witness had left on the table half-full. The president of the Card Club (Mr T. Milne) called Hansen to order, and told him he would either have to behave himself or leave the hall. The deceased took off his hat and coat and gave them to witness to hold, abusing everybody and offering to fight. He did not abuse Milne in particular. He was persuaded to put on his coat, and then went towards the door leading to the cloak room. There he attempted to strike Milne, and grazed the side of his head. Milne edged in, and witness next saw Hansen lying on his back on the floor. Witness saw him fall; his feet slipped and he fell backwards. He could not say whether he fell in the cloak room or out of the door on to the path outside. Detective Farquharson explained to the coroner that the outer door was at an angle to the cloak room door. Witness said Hansen was lying near the door leading from the hall to the cloak room when he saw him. Witness at this stage was asked to leave the hall, and went to Hansen’s to get his (witness’s) car to take Hansen home. When he got back to the hall, however, he found that Hansen had been taken home. While in the hall he did not see Milne or anyone else push or strike deceased.
William Carter, butcher, Balclutha, gave evidence that he had attended the Card Club’s party in the Dalton Hall, and had noticed the deceased going in ahead of him. Hansen was then three parts drunk. Witness played two games of single cribbage with Hansen before they all started progressive crib. Hansen became abusive on account of his glass not having been filled. Witness noticed him having two drinks before that. It was really M'Diarmid’s glass that he wanted refilled. Mr Milne (the club president) asked deceased to keep quiet, and he did become quiet. The next time witness noticed Hansen he had jumped up and had aimed two or three blows at a man named Cameron, who was sitting alongside. He missed Cameron, who paid no eoed to him. Milne again asked Hansen to be quiet, and told him that if he did not he would have to go out. Witness some little time after noticed a scuffle at the door of the cloak room, and saw deceased lying on the broad of his back in the doorway. Deceased got up immediately and made a “swipe” at Milne, who closed with him. Milne got in close in order to escape being punched. Milne did not strike, deceased. As Milne closed they went back to the wall, and Milne pushed himself clear. Hansen was punching at Milne, and as Milne got clear Hansen made another swing at him. Then, as far as witness could see, Hansen overbalanced himself and fell through the outer door on to the ground. Witness saw him fall out backwards, but did not actually see him hit the asphalt. He saw W. M‘Donald and another man pick Hansen up, and take him away. He did not see any blood or scar on Hansen during the evening. He saw no one strike him. He could not say whether deceased fell through the outer door as the result of a blow or a push. He thought that what happened was that Hansen overbalanced as he swung his fist at Milne, and fell out on to the asphalt.
To Mr Grigor: There were two steps, each 6in high, at the door where deceased fell.

William John M'Donald, a stockman in the employ of the South Otago Freezing Company, gave evidence corroborating that of the previous witness. When witness saw the deceased lying outside he was on the broad of his back, and was breathing very heavily, and seemed partly unconscious. Witness called to another man, and they lifted Hansen and carried him part of the way along the path to the street, which was 60 yards from the Dalton Hall. They could not carry him further, and witness asked M'Diarmid to go for a car. Witness then went back to the hall to get his coat, and returning to Hansen, found he had roused up a bit, and with the assistance of a man named Ashwell, took Hansen to his home, at the latter's request going in the back way. Hansen was a bit unsteady, but talked all the way home. Before leaving the path at the hall deceased vomited. Witness put him to bed, and noticed blood on his moustache. He did not notice a scar on the bridge of his nose or on the left ear. While witness was in the hall he did not see anyone strike or push Hansen, and on the way home the latter did not make any complaint, and did not accuse anyone of having assaulted him.
To the "Coroner: He had no knowledge of the deceased's disposition. Thomas Alexander Milne, stock drafter employed by the South Otago Freezing'Co. said he was president of the Balclutha Card Club, which held its parties every Saturday night during the winter and spring. Only members were admitted. On Saturday. November 6. from 25 to 30 men were present. There was a supply of beer for the use of members. He could not say from memory what quantity there was, as the secretary attended to that. Every now and then — perhaps every 20 minutes — the jug of beer was taken round and the glasses refilled. He noticed deceased at the party after the tournament started, and saw he was under the influence of liquor. After he had been playing a while he became abusive because the steward had not refilled a glass for him. It was M'Diarmid's glass. The latter had gone outside. The steward refused to fill the glass, and witness took the jug and filled the glass himself, and asked Hansen to be quiet. He was quiet for a short period, but soon became abusive again. Witness then went to the top of the table and called for order, and told Hansen he would have to be quiet or go out. He did neither. Hansen jumped up quickly from his seat and fell on his hands and knees on the floor. Then he became very aggressive and several of the committee tried to pacify him. Witness went to him and asked him quietly to go outside. Hansen was then at the bottom end of the hall near the cloak-room and he aimed a blow at witness, which grazed the right side of his head. Witness then leaned against him to avoid any further blows. Witness left deceased and went to the other end of the room. When he went back Hansen was in the cloak-room and was still abusive and was waving him arms about. Witness spoke to him again and Hansen aimed a blow at him which missed. Hansen lost his footing, staggered back, and fell through the door on to the asphalt path outside. Witness then closed the door to keep him out. The committee immediately held a meeting and the secretary was instructed to write to Hansen and tell him not to return to the club. He did not see the deceased again that night. He was informed he was all right and had been taken home. At one stage the deceased was "fighting drunk." He had never behaved that way previously at the card parties. At no time during the evening did witness strike or push the deceased, nor did he see anyone else do so. He did not see any abrasions or blood on deceased's nose or ear while he was in the hall.
To the Coroner: The club membership subscription was 5s.
To Detective Farquharson: A levy was struck weekly on the members for beer, biscuits and cheese, rent of hall and sundries.
To the Coroner: The money was collected in the hall from those present. The prizes played for were trophies presented by shopkeepers and others.
Douglas Gordon Radcliffe, medical practitioner, Balclutha. said that at 1.30 a.m. on Sunday. November 7, he received a call to attend to deceased at the latter's home. Witness was unable to go until 5.30 a.m. He was told by deceased's wife that deceased had been brought home about 11 on the previous night with his face covered with blood and under the influence of liquor. He examined deceased and found an abrasion on his nose and one on the left side of the forehead above the eyebrow and another on the left ear. He was then unconscious. The abrasions were quite superficial. He examined his head but did not find a fracture of the skull. His face had been washed when witness saw him and there was no sign of blood issuing from ears or nose, although witness was informed that he had vomited some blood. That could only have come from his ears or mouth, and suggested a fracture of the base of the skull. He did not disturb deceased, as he had been told he had been trying to get out of bed. He did not show signs of concussion or fracture. Witness next visited the patient at 11 a.m the same day and found him a little better. He spoke quite naturally, and when witness asked him if he had fallen over and hurt himself he said yes, and also that his head was sore. He visited him again at 10.50 p.m. and he was still in the same condition, which was caused partly by alcoholism. Witness believed he was suffering possibly from concussion, but he was not alarmed at this condition, which did not seem at all grave. On the following day he visited the deceased at 2 p.m. when the latter spoke quite rationally, but complained of a headache. He considered that as deceased’s wife was the only person in charge it would be better to send him to the hospital, and he was taken there by ambulance. He refused to be carried, and walked to the stretcher, which was outside the bedroom door. On the day following his admission to the hospital he relapsed into unconsciousness. The abrasions on his face might have been occasioned by a fall. In falling he might have grazed something, but he would not say they were caused by a man’s fist. The position of the injuries would be quite consistent with striking the corner of a step. Concussion might, result from a blow from a man fist; it sometimes happened in boxing matches. Some time previously he had examined deceased for insurance purposes, and found him perfectly sound and healthy. He would say the cause of death was oedema of the brain, which was one of the complications of concussion due to a fracture of the base of the skull, also loss of blood and alcoholism.
To the Coroner: Witness did not think there was a fracture of the skull. The heavy breathing and the blood from the nostrils did not indicate that. Arthur Cecil Barker Biggs, medical superintendent of the Balclutha Hospital, said that on November 8, at 4 p.m., deceased was admitted to the hospital. He was not unconscious, but was in a hazy state of mind, and had abrasions on the nose forehead, and lobe of the left ear. He found no other injury on the head or the body. He would say he was suffering from concussion. He could answer questions, but it was doubtful if any reliance could be placed on his answers. He complained of severe headache. Witness asked him what had happened, and he replied that on the Wednesday he had hurt his head, that he had been to work, but on the Saturday he had to lie up. It was on the Wednesday morning following his admission to the hospital that he became completely unconscious. The abrasions on face and head were superficial, and were consistent with falling against a sharp edge or wall. If caused by blows from a fist, witness would have expected to see more discolouration and swelling. The deceased regained consciousness before he died, but not sufficiently to answer questions sensibly. He made no intimation that he had been assaulted in any way. Witness did not find any trace of fracture of the base of the skull. On Saturday night last deceased suddenly relapsed into unconsciousness and died on Monday at 2 a.m. The cause of death was acute oedema of the brain following concussion. To the Coroner: Witness had hearer that the accident happened on Saturday night, November 6 and did not believe deceased when he said it was on the Wednesday. His mental state was such that he was not reliable in his statements.

The Coroner, in giving his verdict, said that there was no evidence of the injuries to deceased having been caused by blows. It seemed that he had slipped and overbalanced. and that no one was to blame but himself. The verdict would be that deceased died from oedema of the brain following concussion.

by janilye on 2017-07-10 16:34:09

registration number 13730 Registration year 1887
Family name HANSEN Given names Victor Martin
Father's name Hans Christoph
Mother's name Janet (Hunter)
Place of birth PAKENHAM
Ethel Muriel Maker
Victor Mark Hansen
Hansen Victor Mark 39Y
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.) Sat 10 Aug 1935

HANSEN. — On the 9th August, at 34 Gillies
street, Fairfield, Janet, loving mother of
Thomas, Elizabeth, and William Tendeson,
Amelia (Mrs. Bastian), Janet (Mrs. Duffy),
George, Victor (deceased), Leslie, Hans, Harold,
Ronald (deceased, late A.I.F.), aged 81 years.
—Peace, perfect peace.
HANSEN. — Friends of the late Mrs. JANET HANSEN are respectfully informed that her remains will be interred in the Templestowe Cemetery.
The funeral is appointed to leave the Church of Christ, Gillies street, Fairfield, after a short service commencing at 3 p.m., arriving cemetery
about 4 p.m.
The Age (Melbourne, Vic.) Saturday 31 July 1937

HANSEN.— The Friends of the late Mr. HANS CHRISTIAN HANSEN are Informed that his funeral will arrive at the New Melbourne crematorium. Fawkner. This
Saturday, MORNING, at 9 o'clock.
RAY B0ULDS PTY. LTD., Prahran.
and a daughter
1912/4612 Hansen Janet Elsie Maud 19Y

by janilye on 2017-07-10 16:57:43

The 1912 death for Janet Hansen (above) is incorrect.
Is there any mention of him joining up.
Here is Ronald's papers
I don't have time to go through them tonight. I'll leave that to you

by janilye on 2017-07-11 04:11:13

Ronald Stewart Hansen Killed in action on the 9 December 1916.
The Argus, Sat 6 Jan 1917
Mrs. J. Hansen, 406 Smith street, Collingwood, has received word that her son, Private Ronald Stewart Hansen, 21 years of age, has been killed in action in France. Private Hansen, who enlisted in New South Wales, was well known throughout the Healesville (Victoria) district.
Also you should read The will of Abraham Tenderson
click 35/954 for the physical.

Explore the online collection at Public Records Office Victoria

by janilye on 2017-07-11 06:15:55

registration number 6839
Registration year 1884
Family name TENDERSON
Given names Janet
Spouse's family name HANSEN
Spouse's given names Hans Christopher
registration number 10746
Registration year 1878
Family name TENDERSON
Given names Amelia
Father's name Abraham
Mother's name Janet (Hunter)
Place of birth PACKENHAM
Event registration number 2564
Registration year 1882
Family name TENDERSON
Given names Abraham Elias
Father's name Jacob
Mother's name Elizabeth (Unknown)
Place of birth
Place of death MELB SOUTH
Spouse's family name HUNTER
Spouse's given names Jennet
registration number 16547
Registration year 1905
Family name TENDERSON
Given names Chas Terence Oneill
Father's name (no father given)
Mother's name Janet Mary Hunter (Tenderson)
Place of birth CARLTON

by Graham2 on 2017-07-11 09:35:29

janilye, thank you for the information you sent, some I have and the other will back up my research. I wonder if VMHansen, used the name of Mark as I have found in the Electoral Roll for 1911 in NZ. The big mystery is, why did he go to Balclutha? Will keep on looking and see if I can find a shipping list.

by ngairedith on 2017-07-11 11:50:58

this is one of the best sites for IMMIGRANT SHIPS to New Zealand from the United Kingdom & Ireland 1835 to 1910

Ports are:

by janilye on 2017-07-11 13:00:53

I too saw a Victor Hansen a few times so searched NZ.BD&M. BIRTHS and found 6 1896/5549Hansen Harold Victor Elizabeth Emil
1891/16690Hansen Victor Henry Mary Elizabeth Niels Peter Ferdinand
1903/4927Hansen Victor William Christina Isabella William -
1879/4798Hansen Victor Albert Ernest Nelsina Peder -
1903/15551Hansen Victor Mary Rasmus Peter -
1901/7492Hansen Victor Joseph Annie Emilie Albert Oscar

He wasn't the only Hansen in Balclutha. There are any number of reasons why he was there. No good guessing. It'll come

by Graham2 on 2017-07-11 13:29:39

ngaairedith, thanks for that information, we think he actually sailed from Australia, but not sure. Did look at some sites yesterday but nothing clear, but then a few days ago found a passenger Hansen on a sailing from the UK, which I thought was strange same name and the birthday was correct.

Now janilye has got me thinking, "He wasn't the only Hansen in Balclutha", what do you mean, was told we were the only Hansens in Balclutha. I know later on in the 1960 and 1970, there Hansen, but they were not locals. So maybe I am looking in the wrong place, do not know his trade in Australia, think he may have left 1909/1910. His occupation on the Electoral Roll was Deck Hand, so he could have been a crew member on a boat rather than a passenger, so could go down that avenue as well

by ngairedith on 2017-07-12 02:35:16

Graham, janilye is right, there were many Hansen in Balclutha and surrounding districts. Of course many arrived during the Gold Rush at Gabriels Creek and areas.
Balclutha does not have a searchable cemetery database as yet (why?) but here are a few I have gleaned just to show indeed other Hansen
* Ethel Muriel - born 1894, died 1958
- nee Maker, married Victor Mark Hansen in 1915

* Glenys Ann - born 1961, died 3 days

* Robert Bevin - ?

* Ruby Georgina - born 1891, died 1966
- second wife of Theodor, had a son Charles Theodor Hansen

* Theodor(e) - 1875-1946

* Theodore Archibald - born 1899, died 1956
- son of Theodor & first wife Annie Jane Moyles, had 3 siblings who were also born in Clutha before Annie died aged 30

* Victor Mark - born 1887, died 1926

by janilye on 2017-07-12 06:45:16

by janilye on 2017-07-12 06:45:50

Victor Mark Hansen was on a list, passed as fit for active service, by the Medical Board sitting at Balclutha on August 14 to 17 1918.

by Graham2 on 2017-07-12 22:10:00

Janilye, thanks for that information. Some of the Hansens are related. Have requested information from the Balclutha Genealogy as well, forgot about the Gold rush, but as I said we were the only family of Hansens until the early 60's but I stand to be corrected. Interesting he was passed fit in 1918.

by janilye on 2017-07-12 23:37:37

When the volunteers stopped rushing to enlist in 1915; Every male resident of New Zealand, between 17 and 60, was required to register for the Reservists, between October and November 1915 or go to prison for six months. It was a war census to see how many men were available to fight.
The government at the time said it was not a precursor to conscription but then changed their mind in 1916.
So he then would have been given a medical in 1918 following his name coming up in the Ballot.

by ngairedith on 2017-07-13 00:00:14

He seems to have gone under the name Mark a number of times. This is probably him as a crew member (fireman), sleeping on board, the Clutha River Board's paddle steamer "Clyde" in December 1914 when it sunk during the night at her moorings

* His death notice in the Otago Daily Times, 23 Nov 1926
HANSEN - On November 22, 1926, at Balclutha Hospital, Victor Mark Hansen; aged 39 years. The Funeral will leave the residence of Mrs W. Maker, Barr street, Balclutha, To-day (Tuesday), 23rd November, at 2p.m. for the Balclutha Cemetery - W. Lovie, undertaker

by Graham2 on 2017-07-13 07:15:06

Yes indeed I found he had gone under the name of Mark. He was on the Clyde that sank at its moorings. Interesting on the Military side which I did not know. So now to track down when he came to NZ and why. Will look at crew lists, rather than passengers. But why would he pick Balclutha, guess there was work on the boats that plyed their trade on the rivers and there was a thriving whaling operation on the South Otago coast and further down into the Chaslands.

by janilye on 2017-07-13 17:58:30

Victor Mark was probably in Balclutha because his wife and her family (mother and 5 siblings) lived there. Ethel's father, William Henry MAKER 1858-1914, owned The Farmers' Arms Hotel in Balclutha.
He had lived in Balclutha for about 30 years. He came from Devonshire and married Margaret McLaren. William Henry MAKER poisoned himself on the 14 July 1914. the year before Ethel Muriel married Victor Mark.

by Graham2 on 2017-07-13 22:04:46

Yes I am trying to get a connection. He married in 1915, was in Balclutha prior to that as he appears on the Electoral Roll of 1911 and 1914. Trying to find his trade in Australia prior to that, that might be the key, there was lots of boats on the river at that time. I know of the Makers and have quite a lot of information on them. William Henry Maker was the proprietor of the Farmers, he also had a sister who married a Guest, then there was a cousin Joe Maker who married the daughter of one of the fathers of Balclutha, McNeil.

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.