Arthur William Burrell & Mary Myrtle Holley, Westport NZ
Written for TamaraLee who messaged on 25 Oct 2017...
Hello Ngaire, I was wondering if you would be able to please help me with something.
I have being trying to find a photo of my nana, Mavis Eveline (nee Burrell) for over 25 years now. Our family has no photo of her as a young person before she married granddad Gordon McDonald McRae. Nana and Granddad eloped (I think) and I don't even know if there is a wedding photo of them. We would all love to see what Nana looked liked before her marriage. Apparently she was Miss Westport at some stage - I'm thinking between 1937 and 1940. Can you please help me I would be ever so grateful and appreciative
* If anyone recognises the people in this journal could you please leave a comment which may help Tamara
Arthur William Burrell (1879-1959) was born in Kumara, West Coast of the South Island, to James Burrell (1837-1914) & Eliza Ann Brunton (1847-1927) who married in 1868
Arthur William's siblings were:
.. 1 1869 - 1950 Robert James Burrell
- Robert married Emily Mary Ashton (1871-1910) in 1894 and had 5 children: Maud Alice, Emily Marion, Robert James, May Gwendoline & Anthony Burrell. Emily was a daughter of Anthony Ashton & Emma Yarmans. She died aged 39 and Robert next married Elizabeth May Stark (1881-1953) in 1914
.. 2 1871 - 1958 Emma Caroline Burrell
- Emma was born in Hokitika. She married Edward Thomas Burke (1870-1942) from Westport in 1896 and had 4 children: Edward James, Myrtle, Percival Leslie & Robert John Burke
Edward was a butcher, he & Emma are buried together at Kelvin Grove cemetery, Palmerston North
.. 3 1873 - 1875 Eliza Mary Ann Burrell
- Eliza was born in Hokitika. She died aged 2
West Coast Times, 29 May 1875 FUNERAL NOTICE
The friends of James and Eliza Burrell, are respecfully invited to follow the remains of their late daughter, Eliza, to the Cemetery. Funeral to move from their residence, Brittan-street, near Weld-street, on Sunday afternoon, at half-past three o'clock
.. 4 1877 - 1959 Albert Edwin Burrell
- Albert married Esther Law McLauchlan (1881-) in 1902
Esther was a daughter of Hugh McLauchlan & Mary Bell
Greymouth Evening Star, 5 April 1902 MARRIAGE
BURRELL-McLAUCHLAN - On the 24th February, at Holy Trinity Church by Rev York, Esther Law, second daughter of Mr Hugh McLauchlan, to Albert Edwin, second son of Mr James Burrell, both of this town
of note Esther's older sister, Annie, married the following month in Pahiatua, to Charles Edward Robbie from Palmerston South
- Albert & Esther had 5 known children: Esther Mary, Edwin Albert, Hughie Gilbert Burrell (was a Councillor in Lower Hutt in mid 1930s), Ruth Victoria & Joyce Louise Burrell
.. 5 1879 - 1959 Arthur William Burrell *
- Arthur married Mary Myrtle Holley - see below
.. 6 1882 - 1967 Beatrice Charlotte Burrell
- Beatrice married George Lewis Chittenden (1880-1938) in 1904
George was the 2nd of 8 known children of Lewis Henry Chittenden & Mary Ann Macey. Beatrice & George had 5 children: Allan George, Lewis James, Ivan, Eric Thomas & Edna Alice Chittenden. They are both buried in Nelson
.. 7 1884 - 1889 Florence Jessie Burrell
- Florence died aged 5 years
.. 8 1888 - 1888 Ellen Rosetta Burrell
- Ellen died aged 7 weeks in Greymouth
.. 9 1889 - 1964 Amelia Grace Burrell
- Amelia was married in NZ on 2 Feb 1910 to William James Christensen (1885-1965) of Bundaberg, Queensland. James was a son of Peter Christensen (1859-1941 born Sonderby, Selso Parish, Denmark) & Ellen Clarke (1864-1948 born Maryborough, Queensland) who married in Queensland in 1882 - both died in Bundaberg. Their children were: Jessie Anne, William James, Lillian Agathe, John Peter, Herbert Francis, Robert Cecil & Sidney Percy Christensen
Amelia & William lived in Mundaring & Nollamara, West Australia. Their ashes are interred Position 14, Niche Wall R of the Crematorium Rose Gardens at Karrakatta
... NOTES ...
Their father, James Burrell arrived in Hokitika in 1865 and went to the Kanieri diggings and also followed the gold rushes at Stafford and Greenstone. He spent eight years in Hokitika and later moved to Kanieri, then Greymouth and later moved to Nelson. In June 1913 he was one the pioneers who remembered the "Roaring '60s" at the West Coast Goldfield Jubilee (a good read at that link as it lists many of the people he would have known and been friends with and tells a story of what life was like on the Coast in his day).
* James Burrell died in Nelson in 1914
Grey River Argus, 30 Oct 1914 Many people of this district and the West Coast sawmilling circles, generally, will regret to hear of the death of Mr James Burrell, which tool place at his residence, Haven Road, Nelson, on Wednesday morning. Mr Burrell was one of the earliest settlers of the West Coast, being one of the Pioneers of Westland and as such visited Hokitika on the occasion of the Jubilee celebrations in February last. From the early days he was engaged in sawmilling and on his arrival in Kumara was employed for many years in Blake's sawmills, afterwards Nicholson and Fairbairn's. He the went to Greymouth where he was sawyer for Stratford and Blair for many years and only relinquished his post owing to advancing years and failing strength. Some two years ago he, with his wife, went to Nelson to reside
* Arthur William Burrell, * like his father, was a Sawyer in Kumara with 100 acres of timber area in early 1900-1902 and a sawmill license for 10 acres at Westbrook. He was a member of the Kumara Fire Brigade and he also had the Saddlery and Furniture business of Burrell Bros., at the corner of Main & Seddon streets in Kumara which he put up for sale in 1902.
In Dec 1907 Arthur was working at the sawmill of the Baxter Brothers when he met with a nasty accident, his hand became badly jammed with his first and second fingers being seriously injured. He was taken to the Westland Hospital where they found it necessary to amputate the first finger at the second joint. He was granted a prospecting license at Reefton in 1910. By 1927 he was in Waiuta
Arthur married Mary Myrtle Holley (1881-1961) on 22 July 1902 and they had 6 children
Mary Myrtle Holley was born 8 Sep 1881 in Kumara, West Coast, to William Holley (1851-1934) & Mary Ann Lewis (1848-1920).
Her parents William & Mary Ann were married in Herefordshire, England and had three children before emigrating to New Zealand and having another 6 children
Mary Myrtle's siblings were:
.. 1 1872 - 1955 George Holley
- George married Maria Wasley (1874-1955), in 1900. Maria was 1 of 12 children of William Nicholas Trebilcock (1848-1914) & Caroline Peters (1850-1944) both from Cornwall, England. George & Maria had 4 children: Mary Myrtle, George Edward, William 'Billy' & Rubina Ivy 'Ruby' Holley
NOTE The children of William & Caroline Trebilcock were born Wasley, suggesting a name change
- George died 20 May 1955 in Christchurch
.. 2 1874 - 1951 Sara Ethel Holley
- Sara(h) came 2nd in class in Standard IV at Kumara school in 1888
- She married Charles William Joshua Pierson (1874-1958) in 1902 (brother of her sister Jane's husband) & had 3 sons Charles William Joshua, Herrick Roosevelt Philetous & Albert Ernest Frederic Pierson
NOTE The Pierson brothers were 2 of 10 children of Charles Anson Crocker Herrick Philetous Pierson (1838-1904) from Cairo, Green, New York, USA & Hannah Church (1851-1923) from London who both died in Hokitika
- Sara died 23 May 1951 in Kumara. Charles died in Hokitika
.. 3 1876 - 1881 Emma Holley
- Emma died aged 5 and is buried in Kumara with brother James & their mother Mary Ann
.. 4 1879 - 1952 Annie 'Honey' Holley
- Annie married James Chisholm (1865-1920) in 1904.
James was a son of Duncan Edward Chisholm & Elspeth Janet 'Elsie' Grant
Annie & James had 5 children Elsie Marion, Irene Mary, Annie Margaret, Christina May & Duncan William Chisholm. They both died in Masterton
.. 5 1881 - 1961 Mary Myrtle Holley *
- Mary married Arthur William Burrell, see below
.. 6 1884 - 1909 Jane Holley
- Jane married George Augustus Victor Pierson (1876-1963) in 1904 (brother of her sister Sara's husband). Jane died 5 years later in Ahaura - a son, George Augustus Victor Pierson (1907-1991) married Alice May McQuilkin (1911-2003) in 1932
.. 7 1886 - 1888 James Holley
- James died aged 14 months in Kumara & is buried with mother Mary Ann & sister Emma
.. 8 1889 - 1972 William John Holley
- spouse not found, died in Hokitika 8 June 1972 and buried with his father in Block 284, Plot 6249 at Hokitika
.. 9 1891 - 1962 Elizabeth Maude Holley
- Elizabeth married Charles Arthur Jolley (1885-1961) from Tasmania, in Greymouth on 4 Jan 1910 and had 7 children: Annie Elizabeth, Mary Winifred, Arthur Keith, Lorna Mary, Charles William, Albert George & Edna Celia Jolley.
- Charles was born in Port Cygnet, Tasmania on 2 July 1885, the 5th of 10 children of Edward Jolley (whose father changed the spelling of their name from Jolly about 1875) and of Henrietta Elizabeth 'Annie' King (1859-1897). Charles first married Alice Elizabeth 'Eliza' Glennie/Glennon (1884-) on 22 Dec 1902 in Port Cygnet and had 3 sons in Sorell, Tasmania: Malcolm Henry Charles Jolley (1903-), Sidney George Jolley (1907-) & Irvine Reuben Jolley (1909-). Charles then left Australia, never went back and had no further contact with his family. He married Elizabeth bigamously.
Elizabeth & Charles later moved from the West Coast to Canterbury. They both died in Christchurch.
... NOTES ...
* their mother Mary Ann Holley (nee Lewis) died 6 Feb 1920 and is buried Block 3, Plot 69 at Kumara with daughter Emma (1876-1881) & son James (1886-1888)
* their father William Holley died 24 August 1934 and is buried Block 284, Plot 6249 at Hokitika with son William John Holley (1889-1972)
Press, 24 Aug 1934 William's Obituary
HOKITIKA - The death has occurred of an old and respected resident of the West Coast, Mr William Holley, at the home of his son, Hampden street. Mr Holley was a native of Herefordshire, and was 84 years of age. He leaves a family of four daughters, Mrs Jolley (Hokitika), Mrs Pierson (Kumara), Mrs Chisholm (Masterton), and Mrs Barrett(sic, Burrell) (Westport) and two sons, George (Hokitika) and William (Waitangi). Mr Holley lived for the last 57 years in New Zealand
... NOTE ...
* a Mary Ann Holley (nee Duncan) died 29 April 1936 aged 84 and is buried Block 233, Plot 5259 at Hokitika with husband John Holley (1847-1911), daughter Ada Louisa Holley (1879-1947) & son John Holley (1880-1950). Because of her name Duncan she is added here with interest in case of links ...
Grey River Argus, 31 May 1911 DEATH of JOHN
The death of another old and esteemed resident took place about one o'clock on Tuesday afternoon when Mr John Holley of Weld Street, Hokitika, passed away. The deceased had been a resident of South Hokitika since the early days of the rush, following mining pursuits for years on his own freehold there. For some years he has been living a retired life in the town. He was a quiet unassuming man who won the esteem of all with whom he came in contact. Deceased had been in indifferent health for some time and the end came quietly. A widow and frown-up family of nine (five daughters and four sons) add a brother, Mr Chas Holley of Mikonui, are left to mourn their loss and they will have the sincere sympathy of a large circle of friends. Deceased was a native of Wiltshire, England and 64 years of age
The 6 children of Arthur & Mary Burrell
.. I 1904 - 1988 Lillian Alice Burrell
- Lillian married Herbert Charles Aldridge (1901-1968) in 1925 and had at least 5 children
- son of Charles Aldridge & Alice Marion McConnon
.. II 1908 - 1945 Charles Frederick Burrell
- Charles married Dulcie Constance Ruby Dempsey (1911-1948) in 1932 and had at least 2 children
- daughter of William James Dempsey & Leon Love
.. III 1909 - 1963 James Cecil 'Jimmy' Burrell
- James married Thelma Grace Wiffen (1914-1970) & had 2 children in Wellington
- he died in Napier 16 Dec 1963 aged 54
.. IV 1912 - 1994 Allan Arthur Burrell
- Allan is buried with his parents in Westport
.. V 1916 - 1994 Grace Edith Burrell
- Grace married Thomas James Atkinson in 1938 & had 5 children
Press, 11 Jan 1938 WEDDING
ATKINSON-BURRELL The wedding took place recently at St John's Church, Westport, of Thomas James, eldest son of Mr and Mrs T. Atkinson (Derby street), to Grace Edith, second daughter of Mr and Mrs A. W. Burrell, Adderley street (Westport).
The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a frock of heavy cream satin, cut on classical lines, the trained skirt having pleated panels back and front. The sleeves were pleated from the shoulders and the neckline was finished with a spray of orange blossom, and she carried a bouquet of Christmas lilies.
The bridesmaids were Miss Mavis Burrell, sister of the bride and Miss Lilian Atkinson, the bridegroom's sister. They wore frocks of blue and pink lace and net respectively and halo head-dresses of flowers on net to match. Their bouquets were of pink carnations and blue forget-me-knots.
Miss Edna Aldridge, the bride's niece, attended as flower girl, wearing a frock of cream net over satin.
Mr A. A. Burrell was best man and Mr R. Green was groomsman.
Little Gladys Turner, niece of the bridegroom, presented the bride with a lucky horseshoe as she left the church.
A reception was held at the Elite tearooms. The bride's mother received her guests wearing a navy blue ensemble and a hat to match. Mrs Atkinson wore a brown ensemble and a brown hat. The bride travelled in a brown ensemble and a hat to match
.. VI 1921 - 2000 MAVIS EVELINE Burrell
- Mavis was born 18 Oct 1921. She married GORDON McDONALD McRAE (1911-1997) in Westport 20 Feb 1943 when she was 21 and Gordon was 32. They had 14 children ~ Patricia, Donald (-2000), Murray, Colleen, Duncan, Sandra, Lindsay, Colin, Gordon, Ian, Phillipa, Allan, Raewyn, Clinton
- Gordon was born 19 May 1911 in Clutha, Otago, a son of Duncan McRae & Isabella Mary McDonald. He was a Carpenter and Bridge Builder. He lived in Dunedin, Motueka and moved to Masterton in the 1940s/50s
* Gordon had previously married Florence Marie Emily Lemin (1917-1987) in 1937 and had a son Gavin. Florence is buried with her parents at Invercargill
Mavis Eveline's parents are buried at Westport
Arthur William Burrell died 4 May 1959
Mary Myrtle Burrell died 4 Feb 1961 aged 79
They are buried Plot 46, Block F at Orowaiti cemetery, Westport
Buried with them are:
* Allan Arthur Burrell (1912-1994), his son
* Mary Myrtle Burrell (1880-1961), his wife
* Gordon Stuart Campbell (1905-1966), fitter of Canterbury
* Eileen Corcoran (1922-1996), from Granity, West Coast
* Lawrence Staunton (1878-1962), seaman from Ireland
Mavis Eveline & Gordon are buried at Masterton
Headstone of Mavis Burrell & Gordon McRae at Riverside, Masterton