Austin CUPITT 1769 St. Leonads CofE Shirland England.
Descendants of Austin CUPITT
Check Item 21 William Cupitt Journal for link.
Generation No. 1
1. AUSTIN1 CUPITT He married MARY SEDDALL 17 Apr 1769 in St. Leonads CofE Shirland England.
More About AUSTIN CUPITT and MARY SEDDALL:
Marriage: 17 Apr 1769, St. Leonads CofE Shirland England
Child of AUSTIN CUPITT and MARY SEDDALL is:
2. i. GEORGE2 CUPITT, b. 09 Mar 1777; d. 14 Jun 1846, Windsor NSW Australia.
Generation No. 2
2. GEORGE2 CUPITT (AUSTIN1) was born 09 Mar 1777, and died 14 Jun 1846 in Windsor NSW Australia. He married MARY WICKS. She was born 1777, and died 15 Jun 1845 in Windsor NSW Australia.
Notes for GEORGE CUPITT:
George joined the 102nd. Regiment 14-1-1793 just 3 weeks before his 15th birthday. He could not read or write but did learn to sign his name.
He migrated to Australia with his wife on "Ganges" transporting 203 Irish convicts acting as a guard for 1shilling per day as a private. George transfered between regiments In NSW to avoid the 4 year turn around of the military.
He was discharged on 24-9-1823 and chose a land grant in leiu of a pension. Governor Brisbane's letter 28-10-1823 granting 100 cres within surveyed lands was lost and it took until 1830 after much correspondence that Governor Darling granted 100 acres at Castlereigh "Cupitt's Farm"
During the wait George purchased 32 rods of land from Rev. Samuel Marsden for £12.4.6 in George Street Windsor. This parcel of land remained with the family for 157 years until sold by Jack Holman in 1981.
The Cupitt farm produced wheat for the colony and notes in the 1824 Sydney Gazette recorded tenders from Mary Cupitt to supply 100 bushells @ six shillings and six pence and Mr. George Cupitt to supply 100 bushells at the same rate.
"In the name of God, Amen, I George Cupitt of the District of Evan in the colony of NSW, Farmer, being very sick and weak of Body but perfect mind and memory and knowing that it is appointed of all men once to die, do make this my last Will and Testament. First of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it, and my body I commend to the earth to be burried in decent christian berrial at the discretion of my Executors and as touching such worldly estate herewith it has pleased God to bless me in the following manner" He made his son George executer of his will and bequeathed the three properties that he had acquired to his three youngest children Eliza, James and Matilda with the proviso that on their deaths that the properties would then pass to his three grandsons George, Thomas and James the eldest of George and sara's brood.
Notes for MARY WICKS:
Mary gave evidence at a trial in 1811 where Jane harding had thrown herself into Cockle Bay ( Darling Harbour) 30-11-1811 and drowned. Jane had borrowed 6/- from Mary leaving a gold ring as security and the next day borrowed a second 6/- leaving a shawl as security and used the money to buy liquor.
Cockle bay was used by convicts and their jailors to gather wattle for the walls of their huts. They found in the mud "tasty animals which they called cockles". In 1827 the area was renamed Darling Harbour in honour of Sir Ralf Darling.
Mary and George are burried in St. Matthews Cof E Windsor. There is a family vault.
The church was commisioned by Governor MacQuarie. The first building was condemned and the bricks used to cronstruct a wall in Thompson Square Windsor. Convict francis greenway was the comissioned to build the current Church which opened in 1822.
The cemetry was first used in 1810.
Children of GEORGE CUPITT and MARY WICKS are:
i. WILLIAM3 CUPITT, b. 03 Oct 1797; d. 1866.
ii. JOHN CUPITT, b. 03 Oct 1799; d. 1837.
iii. MARY CUPITT, b. 13 Sep 1803; d. 1821.
3. iv. GEORGE CUPITT, b. 28 Dec 1808; d. 1875.
v. ELEANOR CUPITT, b. 05 Jan 1811; d. 1865.
vi. HANNA CUPITT, b. 20 Apr 1813; d. 1865.
vii. ELIZA CUPITT, b. 30 Nov 1816; d. 1895.
viii. JAMES CUPITT, b. 10 Nov 1821; d. 1874.
Generation No. 3
3. GEORGE3 CUPITT (GEORGE2, AUSTIN1) was born 28 Dec 1808, and died 1875. He married SOPHIA UPTON 10 Oct 1831, daughter of THOMAS UPTON and SARAH PIGG. She was born 26 Apr 1816, and died 02 Apr 1884.
Notes for GEORGE CUPITT:
In 1859 George paid his sister Matilda £100 for the George Street parcel of land in Windsor. This parcel was to have passed to Matilda's son James on here death only James died at age 13. There were two dwellings erected on the land.
In 1867 Windsor had the biggest flood ever recorded. (Flood debris was found in the rafters of the three story building diagonally oposite the old picture theatre.) Only the two hiils of St. Matthews church and the Court House were above water. A Mrs. Smith hung out a white flag from her window at dawn after spending the night in water with the furniture banging aginst the family. George saw the flag and got a boat and with the assistance of the local school teacher rescued the family. The story was published in the Richmon-Windsor Gazette.
Notes for SOPHIA UPTON:
More About GEORGE CUPITT and SOPHIA UPTON:
Marriage: 10 Oct 1831
Children of GEORGE CUPITT and SOPHIA UPTON are:
i. GEORGE4 CUPITT, b. 13 Sep 1833; d. 30 Jul 1903; m. JANE NORRIS.
Notes for JANE NORRIS:
George and Jane had 13 children
ii. THOMAS CUPITT, b. 11 Jun 1835; d. 14 Aug 1895; m. ELIZA UPTON.
Notes for ELIZA UPTON:
Thomas and Eliza had 11 children
iii. SARAH CUPITT, b. 08 Dec 1837; d. 16 Sep 1923; m. WILLIAM WOOD.
Notes for SARAH CUPITT:
William and Sarah had 5 children.
iv. JAMES CUPITT, b. 15 Nov 1839; d. 21 Mar 1853.
v. MARY ANN CUPITT, b. 21 Jan 1842; d. 05 Jan 1909; m. JOHN PYE.
Notes for MARY ANN CUPITT:
John and Mary had 14 children.
Notes for JOHN PYE:
One of the sons of John "Dilbrey Pye" worked in Windsor as a carter collecting parcels from the railway station in a horse drawn dray and deleivering them around town. (RJH.)
4. vi. SOPHIA CUPITT, b. 26 Mar 1845; d. 08 Mar 1932, Windsor NSW Australia.
vii. JOHN CUPITT, b. 17 Aug 1847; d. 21 Aug 1847.
viii. ELIZABETH CUPITT, b. 14 Jul 1848; d. 09 Jan 1925; m. WILLIAM HANSELL.
Notes for ELIZABETH CUPITT:
William and Elizabeth had 2 children.
ix. WILLIAM CUPITT, b. 28 Dec 1850; d. 03 Jun 1927; m. MARY ANN MALELEN.
Notes for MARY ANN MALELEN:
Wiliam and mary Ann had 2 children.
x. JOHN JAMES CUPITT, b. 02 Dec 1853; d. 03 Jun 1927; m. MARY ANN COX.
Notes for MARY ANN COX:
John James and Mary Ann had 10 children.
xi. ELIZA JANE CUPITT, b. 05 Feb 1856; d. 22 Sep 1936; m. ALFRED EVERINGHAM.
Notes for ELIZA JANE CUPITT:
Alfred and Eliza Jane had 12 children.
Generation No. 4
4. SOPHIA4 CUPITT (GEORGE3, GEORGE2, AUSTIN1) was born 26 Mar 1845, and died 08 Mar 1932 in Windsor NSW Australia. She married ALFRED JAMES HOLMAN 30 Nov 1876 in Orange NSW Australia, son of GEORGE HOLMAN and SARAH YOUNG. He was born 13 Sep 1848 in Camden Middlesea England, and died 04 Jan 1885 in Windsor NSW Australia.
Notes for SOPHIA CUPITT:
For the last 20 years of her life the widow Sophia lived with ther daughter Annie Rutter nee Holman at Little church Street Windsor.
She died aged 87.
Notes for ALFRED JAMES HOLMAN:
Alfred James Holman was a carpenter as was his father. He was born in Camden Town in the County of Middlesea and baptised at St. Pancras Church London and migrated to Australia in 1871. He married Sophia Cupitt in Orange NSW in the Trinity Church Of England on 30th. November 1876. He was aged 28. Their first child was stillborn and after the birth of their second child they moved from Orange to Windsor and moved into one of the houses on the Cupitt land in George Street. Alfred built addittional houses and replaced those built by his fatherinlaw.
"Cupitt house" can be seen today as it is a museum last occupied by Nora Cupitt nee , a teacher who taught grade three at Windsor Primary and had Jack Holman and his son Robert as pupils.
Alfred continued to work as a carpenter in the Windsor district but contracted typhoid from contaminated foundations of a house he was demolishing in the town and died shortly after in 1855 aged 36. Sophia was left with three children 4 years and under to raise.
It is noted that a school boy who sold her a load of fire wood for 2/6 stole a grindstone valued at 2/-. George PLATT pleaded guilty in the local court and was imprisoned for 7 days.
More About ALFRED HOLMAN and SOPHIA CUPITT:
Marriage: 30 Nov 1876, Orange NSW Australia
Children of SOPHIA CUPITT and ALFRED HOLMAN are:
i. ?5 HOLMAN, b. 13 Sep 1878, Orange NSW Australia; d. 13 Sep 1878, Orange NSW Australia.
Notes for ? HOLMAN:
5. ii. ANNIE AGNES HOLMAN, b. 17 Feb 1880, Orange NSW Australia; d. 07 Sep 1964, Windsor NSW Australia.
6. iii. ALFRED GEORGE HOLMAN, b. 24 Jan 1882, Windsor NSW Australia.
7. iv. WALTER BOXLEY HOLMAN, b. 29 Oct 1883, Windsor NSW Australia; d. 14 Sep 1949, Windsor NSW Australia.
Generation No. 5
5. ANNIE AGNES5 HOLMAN (SOPHIA4 CUPITT, GEORGE3, GEORGE2, AUSTIN1) was born 17 Feb 1880 in Orange NSW Australia, and died 07 Sep 1964 in Windsor NSW Australia. She married DAVID JACOB RUTTER 1911. He was born 1880, and died 25 Jun 1947 in Windsor NSW Australia.
Notes for ANNIE AGNES HOLMAN:
Annie dide 17 years after her husband. Both are burried at St. Matthews Cof E Windsor in the family crypt.
More About DAVID RUTTER and ANNIE HOLMAN:
Children of ANNIE HOLMAN and DAVID RUTTER are:
i. MARJORIE GRACE6 RUTTER, b. 23 Aug 1912, Windsor NSW Australia.
Notes for MARJORIE GRACE RUTTER:
Marjorie worked at Windsor dry cleaners and remained a spinster.
ii. LLOYD DAVID RUTTER, b. 26 Jan 1915, Windsor NSW Australia; m. MYRTLE HULBERT, 08 Jul 1966.
Notes for LLOYD DAVID RUTTER:
Llyod became a cement worker and genera building tradesman. He did not marry until 51 years old and he married a widow Myrtle Hulbert.
More About LLOYD RUTTER and MYRTLE HULBERT:
Marriage: 08 Jul 1966
8. iii. ERIC JAMES RUTTER, b. 04 Jun 1917, Windsor NSW Australia.
6. ALFRED GEORGE5 HOLMAN (SOPHIA4 CUPITT, GEORGE3, GEORGE2, AUSTIN1) was born 24 Jan 1882 in Windsor NSW Australia. He married (1) AMANDA HANNA 05 Apr 1905 in Stanmore NSW Australia, daughter of CHARLES HANNA and ANNIE WATT. She was born 01 Apr 1878 in Belfast Ireland, and died 08 Aug 1918 in Granville NSW Australia. He married (2) ANNIE MAUDE MILICENT MAY OSBORN 19 Nov 1919 in Parramatta NSW Australia, daughter of THOMAS OSBORN and MARY SMITH. She was born 24 Nov 1888 in Granville NSW Australia, and died 13 Nov 1949.
Notes for AMANDA HANNA:
Died from peritonitis
More About ALFRED HOLMAN and AMANDA HANNA:
Marriage: 05 Apr 1905, Stanmore NSW Australia
Notes for ANNIE MAUDE MILICENT MAY OSBORN:
Separated from George Byrne before Beryl was born. Divorced 13-10-1914
More About ALFRED HOLMAN and ANNIE OSBORN:
Marriage: 19 Nov 1919, Parramatta NSW Australia
Children of ALFRED HOLMAN and AMANDA HANNA are:
9. i. ALFRED GEOFFREY6 HOLMAN, b. 25 Jun 1910, Granville NSW Australia.
ii. ISABEL NANCY HOLMAN, b. 27 Mar 1912, Granville NSW Australia; m. RICHARD GLEN PARKER, 11 Feb 1939, Fairfield NSW Australia; b. 23 Apr 1910, Moss Vale NSW Australia; d. 25 Jan 1972, Moss Vale NSW Australia.
More About RICHARD PARKER and ISABEL HOLMAN:
Marriage: 11 Feb 1939, Fairfield NSW Australia
Child of ALFRED HOLMAN and ANNIE OSBORN is:
10. iii. ALLAN THOMAS6 HOLMAN, b. 11 Apr 1922.
7. WALTER BOXLEY5 HOLMAN (SOPHIA4 CUPITT, GEORGE3, GEORGE2, AUSTIN1) was born 29 Oct 1883 in Windsor NSW Australia, and died 14 Sep 1949 in Windsor NSW Australia. He married MAUDE GRACE GILBERT 18 Apr 1908 in Windsor NSW Australia, daughter of JOHN GILBERT and LUCY STEELE. She was born 25 Aug 1886 in MacDonald River NSW Australia, and died 01 Aug 1955 in Windsor NSW Australia.
Notes for WALTER BOXLEY HOLMAN:
Walter used the front room of 278 George Street house as boot makers shop and shoe repairs. he served in WW 1as a and was gassed in the trenches. He died of a heart attack.
Notes for MAUDE GRACE GILBERT:
More About WALTER HOLMAN and MAUDE GILBERT:
Marriage: 18 Apr 1908, Windsor NSW Australia
Children of WALTER HOLMAN and MAUDE GILBERT are:
i. MURIEL ANNIE6 HOLMAN, b. 24 Jan 1909, Windsor NSW Australia; d. 12 Nov 1966, Roseville NSW Australia.
11. ii. NORMAN GIBERT HOLMAN, b. 23 Nov 1910, Windsor NSW Australia; d. 06 Mar 1969, Rockdale NSW Australia.
12. iii. PHYLLIS GRACE HOLMAN, b. 23 Sep 1912, Windsor NSW Australia; d. 11 Sep 1993, Roseville NSW Australia.
13. iv. JACK HOLMAN, b. 11 Feb 1916, Windsor NSW Australia; d. 03 Apr 1993, Woolgoolga NSW Australia.
14. v. ROBERT HOLMAN, b. 10 Dec 1923, Windsor NSW Australia; d. 12 Apr 1988, Figtree NSW Australia.