Birth certificates for the adopted :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

Birth certificates for the adopted

Question by Rosalee

I am trying to find out what happens when a child is taken in by relatives and adopted; concerning the birth certificates. Are they reissued with the adoptive parents shown as birth parents?

I understand that these children cannot then inherit from original parents as they are deemed to have been "born" to the adoptive parents. (Thank the programme Heir Hunters for that little gem) I have a hand written tree from an uncle which gives a different father to several children - other people have his sister and husband as the parents. No social benefits then so I know that relatives did take on children - even my g/mother was raised by her maternal grandmother. Hopefully - Rosalee

Viewed: 732 times
by Rosalee Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-03-13 18:31:12

Rosalee has been a Family Tree Circles member since Aug 2010. is researching the following names: FILLARY.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by janilye on 2011-03-13 19:57:38

The only thing I know for certain is that there is ALWAYS an original birth certificate and can be applied for. For any legal adoption to take place the original certificate must be available. Adoptees and their natural parents are now able to obtain information previously kept private.
Contact your Dept. of Child Services in your city, they would have someboby to help you out. Jan

by rschking84 on 2011-03-13 20:02:59

Hello Rosalee,
I am an adoptee, Was put up for adoption by my maternal grandmother,
from what I understand.
Regarding the birth certificate situation, I was born in Georgia there it is a "closed" adopotion. I am 45 years old now and have never
seen a reissued birth certificate for me. I have asked the state, put
in petions to the courts, nothing.All I have is a copy of my birth with all personal information blocked out, (they did too good of a job) As far as I know that is the only certificate for me, it doesnt even have my name on it, the name I have today.
Hope this helps you.I try.
best regards

by janilye on 2011-03-13 20:12:12

When a child is adopted, the childs birth certificate will be changed to reflect that information. The nature of the changes and how they are made may depend on the state in which the child and adoptive parents reside. In many cases, the original birth certificate may be kept and sealed after an adoption and a new birth certificate may be created.

Q.How is a birth certificate changed after an adoption?

A.After a child is adopted, most states will perform a similar procedure as follows:

If the child is from a foreign country, the parents will file the adoption papers from that country in their local jurisdiction when they arrive home. The papers will be handled by the district court to complete a certificate of adoption.
The same will be true of a child adopted within the US. The adoption certificate will be created by the parents district court based on those papers, regardless of their point of origin.
After the adoption is finalized and the certificate of adoption is completed by the district court, it will be mailed by the court to the local State Department of Health to be processed by the Registrar.
The adoption certificate will be used by the Registrar to create a new birth record. This will list the new adopted information, i.e. the names and information of the adoptive parent(s) as the legal parents of the child. The child's birth date and other details may or may not remain as listed, depending on the circumstances of the birth. Information about the biological parents will be removed from the official record, and the new information regarding the adoptive parents will officially replace the original birth records, if any. The original records will be sealed and filed in confidentiality, only to be released under specific court orders in rare situations.
To ensure that all steps are completed smoothly, an adoption lawyer should be consulted during the process.

by alra on 2011-03-17 02:12:38

We adopted three children through Dept. of Social Services, Harford County, MD. Through an application process the kids were issued "replacement" birth certificates. Looks identical to the orginal, but their names were changed and we were listed as if we were the birth parents. New SS# were issued to. I have wondered about this. It is like the witness protection program!

by Elainehee on 2011-04-21 04:39:35

In Australia we too had closed adoptions for many years. Each State has its own laws for adoption. For years my only record was what was called an Extract, it only contained my name as I was then known by, and my date and place of birth. When the law in Victoria changed I took a punt on where to find the information and started with the Adoption Agency I thought had arranged my adoption. After answering a lot of questions my original birth certificate and baptismal certificate arrived but in one the first name was different to the other. As I figured she would have been in her late 60's or older I arranged to have my information flagged to indicate I would be happy to have any relative to contact me.

by lostinlimbo on 2011-08-27 02:05:02

my mom was adopted her "parents" went and got her at 3 days old the last name she had was baby rawson thats all her adopted papers said everything after she left the hospital with her new "parents" says harvill so yeah help me out please ....

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.