BOLTON Street, Thorndon, Wellington - 1841
the following from NZETC was written about 1928
... Bolton Street, Thorndon, named after the ship ?Bolton,? which arrived April 28, 1840, is immortalised in one of Brees' illustrations published in 1847 by the view of the old Parsonage where the Rev. Robert Cole resided. The figures toiling up the hill are Mrs. KNOWLES and her son Walter, on their way to visit the vicar's wife.
The old vicarage is now (1928) called ?Dunmore,? and occupied by Mrs. CALDWELL
The sub-division of the Prendergast estate, beyond the cemetery, has metamorphosised that locality
Toiling leisurely up the north side of the road one may read, in passing the cemetery, some of the grave stones marking the resting place of the early settlers. Near the lower entrance may be seen that of Andrew GILLESPIE and son, who died of wounds inflicted by the Maoris on the 7th of April, 1846. Nearly opposite, across the narrow track, is the Dorset headstone with its inscription, i.e.:
?John DORSET, surgeon, died at Nelson on the 2nd of October, 1856. Aged 49 years. Also William DORSET, died 2nd April, 1877. Aged 75 years.? Nearby lies Hugh MORRISON, died 1843, and his wife Ann TURNER, died 1844. A little higher up, John KING, solicitor, 1862, and his wife, 1856. The headstones beyond the upper gate record the names of John HOUGHTON, died 1879, H. Middleton BLACKBURN, 99th Reg., killed in action at Horokiwi engagement, August 6th, 1846, aged 22 years; C. B. IZARD, G. MARTIN, Wm. PHARAZYN, Messrs. SAXBY and McCOLL
Passing through the upper entrance, one may see, by turning to the path on the right (a few yards from the gate), one of the oldest tombstones erected in Wellington. It is split in halves, which are resting against a tree opposite Mr. Jas. FUTTER's stone. The inscription reads thus:?
?This stone is erected by the affectionate widow of the late John PEARCE, late of Birmingham, who was one of the eight unfortunately drowned on the 26th August, 1841; aged 41.?*
The address of Mr. John FITCHETT is given as Bolton Street in the Burgess Roll of 1843, and The Almanac of 1863 contains names of the following residents:?
* G. Bennett, Mrs. Smith and James Wallace (south side),
* A. Allen, R. H. Huntley, R. Watson (north side, called Cemetery Hill).