BOULCOTT Street, Wellington - 1863 :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

BOULCOTT Street, Wellington - 1863

Journal by ngairedith

the following from NZETC was written about 1928

... Boulcott Street, City, is approached from Manners and Willis Streets, and the Terrace, and named after J. Elliker BOULCOTT, Esq. This street is described by Brees
?The Catholic chapel (St. Mary's Cathedral) is situated at Te Aro, near the beach. The Catholic Pastor is represented by the Rev. Father O'REILLY, who is highly respected among his flock, as well as by all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.

The residents in 1863 were:
from Minifie's Queen's Hotel -
* R. J. Duncan,
* J. H. Wallace,
* W. Lyon (Hannah's), and
* Stephen Carkeck (west side),
* E. Jackson, T. Watson,
* R. W. Pattern,
* G. Payne,
* J. C. Wallace and
* Mrs. Murch (east side).

Whitehall is still in occupation. This was a boardinghouse in 1895, kept by one with the appropriate name of ?Onyon.? The old Masonic Hall and the old Marist Brothers' school are still in evidence.

?Very different from the broad, smooth, well graded road of to-day,? writes Miss I. A. EDWIN in the ?Evening Post,? 20/3/1928, ?was Boulcott Street in its earliest stages. For where the traffic controller stands at the crossroads to direct the noisy, never-ending procession of trams and motors is just about where the little fern-bordered stream?the Waikoukou?ran into the sea. A narrow track followed the Waikoukou up the gully, where among the bush, fantails flitted about the ngaios and tuis sipped honey from the flax.??

?On the opposite side to the church were two big gardens ? Dr. GILLON's on the corner, and Dr. FRANCE's higher up?the latter's old house was pulled down to make room for a picture theatre and cabaret.?

by ngairedith Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-07-11 08:21:43

ngairedith has been a Family Tree Circles member since Feb 2008.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.