<< Previous - Next >>

Cometville State School Queensland 1878-1930

Journal by janilye

Cometville renamed Comet on the 19 March 1931 is 859 kilometres or 534 miles north west of Brisbane, Australia, on the Comet River which was named by explorer Ludwig Leichhardt in December 1844 after Wilmot's Comet which was visible in the Southern Hemisphere at that time.
Comet is where Leichhardt's famous "dig tree" was established to indicate to others where he had buried food and journals.

It was a very important day for the outback settlement of Cometville when the State school opened on the 23 October 1878.

Below is a list of the Head School Teachers and the years in which they served up until 1930

Samuel Clark........................ 23 October 1877 to 19 September 1879
Alexander Blyth..................... 01 January 1879 to 30 September 1879
John Boland (acting) ............... 01 October 1879 to 30 September 1881
John Hassell........................ 01 October 1881 to 02 September 1883
William Henry Allen Jeffreys........ 20 August 1883 to 31 December 1884
William Henry Smith ................ 19 January 1885 to 25 April 1889
John Mills ......................... 06 May 1889 to 25 April 1891
Phillp Henry Robinson............... 26 May 1891 to 31 December 1896
Louis Charles Francis .............. 01 January 1897 to 06 February 1898
George Henry Osmond ................ 28 February 1898 to 31 December 1900
Denis sheahan....................... 01 January 1901 to 13 March 1902
Hubert George Ladbrook ............. 07 April 1902 to 31 March 1905
Clement Bleakley ................... 01 April 1905 to 30 June 1910
Patrick Kehoe....................... 01 July 1910 to 28 February 1911
Albert Boettcher ................... 27 February 1911 to 30 March 1914
James Thiele........................ 01 May 1914 to 15 September 1918
John Henry Langford ................ 18 September 1918 to 30 September 1921
Gladys Fannv Kidd .................. 01 October 1921 to 24 January 1926
William Leslie Kemp ................ 25 January 1926 to 31 December 1929
William Charles Thomas Jordan....... 01 January 1930

The photograph below which is not all that well preserved, but I've not ever been able to find another.
Taken in the 1930s it shows the original Cometville State School in the foreground and the new Comet State School behind. after this photograph was taken the old school was removed.
The new school behind was bought in 1936 by the Country Women's Association (Gindie branch) and turned into a rest home.

by janilye Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2012-03-09 10:20:35

janilye - 7th generation, Convict stock. Born in New South Wales now living in Victoria, carrying, with pride 'The Birthstain'.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.