CUBA Street, Wellington- 1841
the following taken from NZETC was written about 1928
... Cuba Street, extended, in 1841, from the water front behind Manners Street, to Ingestre Street (now Vivian). In 1845, a worthy citizen of Wellington plodded his way through fern and ti-tree to Te Aro flat in search of the surveyor's peg, which had been driven in at the corner of Cuba and Dixon Streets. Upon this spot a small house and shop were erected in which a very successful drapery business was carried on by two ladies named Smith. Later, Mr. J. Smith (no relation to the Misses Smith) bought the business, which became long and favourably known as Te Aro House.
There was only one house in Cuba Street in 1850. In 1857 a five-roomed house and garden was offered for sale by Mr. William Henry Rotermund. (died 1863 age unknown) The garden was stocked with fruit trees of every description, a well of water, and outhouse.
A very interesting paper, compiled and read by Mr. E. G. Pilcher, vice-president of the Early Settlers Association, before its members on the 6th September, 1922, and published in Vols. 2, No. 3 and 4, pp. 25 and 17, gives a detailed account of Cuba Street in the 'sixties. A few extracts are here quoted:— “Starting on the eastern side, we find the Market Reserve, extending as far as Dixon Street.” (This was in 1863.) “Stalls were provided, whence country settlers might dispose of their produce, but practically no attempt was made by those concerned to take advantage of these facilities.”
Later, one end was converted into a morgue, and a hotel was built on the corner of the section. This was the first Royal Oak, destroyed by fire in 1879.
Some of the names mentioned in the article are,
from Dixon Street:
* T. Whitehouse (arr. 1841),
* E. Campbell,
* W. Haybittle,
* C. Ward,
* Mrs. Lawrie,
* Brewer and Knigge.
Hannah's Buildings now occupy these sites.
* W. P. Barber,
* J. Renall
* and G. London. The bridge over the stream coming from Polhill Gully (Aro Street) crossed Ghuznee Street at the corner, and was known as “London Bridge.”
The places from Ghuznee Street belonged to E. H. Crease, afterwards Kirkcaldie and Stains branch establishment, then later Thompson and Bennett, Mrs. Wrigley, J. Tolley, and J. Hurley.
Then came the White Swan (Churchill's). On the opposite corner (still eastern side) were R. Martin's and R. Miller's establishments (J. Dixon, 1870, formerly Godber's now Dustins)—Edward Dixon's garden adjoined.
Across Vivian Street were several residences, occupied by J. H. Horner, A. P. Stuart, and Lieut. Willis (later by Major Paul, whose daughter founded the “Paulina Home, the site of the Salvation Army Hostel, or People's Palace).
Higher up was Mr. Billman's residence. Above Abel Smith Street were the houses of W. Tonks (senr.), John Gell and W. Bennett.
Tonks' brickyard was at the top of the street, and Isaac Lovelock's house adjoined it. The latter's house was standing in 1922.
Then (west side) were the houses of Lynch, Martin, E. Bannister, J. W. Chisholm, and W. Ashbridge.
From Abel Smith Street to Vivian Street were the residences of B. Smith, Mrs. Mills, W. H. Meek, W. Nicholson, Mitchell and Gandy (W. Scott in 1870) and H. F. Logan up to 1884.
Mr. E. Miller, banker, lived in a house next to the Veitch and Allan corner. J. Dixon's brewery, through the grounds of which the Te Aro Stream took its course.
The Galatea Hotel (1868) before Garrett Street was formed, E. Wilton, Mrs. Marriott, Miss Harris, now Youmann's buildings (1922), J. Lett, Gordon Baillie bookseller, E. Dixon's cordial factory, W. Grigg barrack sergeant, Dr. France, D. Kinniburgh (arrived on the George Fyfe, 1842), Te Aro House, Miss Taylor and Misses Smith (1845) and Jas. Smith in 1868.
From Dixon Street to Manners Street was the Nag's Head Inn, an old-fashioned hostelry of the English type, the stable yard and equipment reminiscent of Dickens; Mr. J. Lowry was the landlord. This was destroyed by fire in 1879, and the Alhambra Hotel now stands on the site.
The cottage at the corner of Manners Street was occupied by