Dales Organ Builder John William Lupton Retires
The following is a transcript of an article which appeared in the Craven Herald and Wensleydale Standard, Yorkshire, UK in 1921.
The residents of Linton have learned with regret of the intention of Mr. J. W. Lupton, the well known Upper - Wharfedale organ builder, to remove from the village and take up residence at Longpreston where his eldest son - chauffeur to Mr Walter Morrison, of Malham Tarn resides. Seventy four years of age, Mr. Lupton has lived at Linton for thirty - three years and in the course of his business he has undertaken work of various kinds for many patrons in the district. Although Mr. Lupton's removal will be in the nature of a retirement he will still, when nescessary, give attention to the organs in various parts of the Craven dales.
During the past thirty-three years, Mr.Lupton has built organs for the following churches:
St. Peter's Church, Keighley (three manuals, 46 stops, 2000 pipes); Slack Lane Baptist
Church, near Keighley (three manuals, 36 stops); Higher Broughton Wesleyan Church,
Manchester (three manuals, 28 stops); Skelmanthorpe Wesleyan Church, Huddersfield
(two manuals, 28 stops); St Thomas's Church, Barrowford (three manuals, 36 stops);
Inghamite Church, Wheatley Lane, near Burnley(two manuals 16 stops); West Lane
Primitive Methodist, Keighley (two manuals, 20 stops); Hermit Hole Wesleyan Church,
Keighley (two manuals, 18 stops); Independent Church, Colne (2 manuals, 20 stops)
Linton Parish Church (two manuals, 22 stops)
For a few years between 1877 and 1882 JW operated in partnership, trading as Driver and Lupton - Organ Builders (their advert is posted on a previous journal) and later as Murgtroyd, Driver and Lupton, advert below.
Does anyone have any information regarding any of the above?