"DALKEITH", TULLAMARINE, VIC.,AUST.
Found this while chasing Bulla/Broady and Mornington connections.
Messrs. A. E. Gibson and Co. report having sold by private contract, on behalf of Messrs. James Harrick and Son, 200 acres at Tullamarine, being the eastern portion of part of Crown portion 3, to Mr. George Mansfield.
Gordon Connor told me that George had built the Dalkeith homestead in 1910. Spot on!
Section 3 Tullamarine, granted to William Foster and consisting of 640 acres, fronted the north side of Sharps Rd, Tullamarine west of Broadmeadows Rd. The northern boundary,Post Office Lane,is indicated by the north boundary of Trade Park industrial estate. It also fronted the road to Broadmeadows Township (now Mickleham Rd) to the Londrew Court/Freight Rd midline. William inherited and returned home with his younger brother,John adding William's 1280 acres to his own "Leslie Banks" between Fosters Rd (now Keilor Park Drive)and the river.
In 1847 a road was declared between North Melbourne and Bulla. Land north east of it was leased in portions and soon David William O'Niall had established the Lady of The Lake Hotel just a triangular 1.5 acre block* south of the Derby St corner.(*This still exists,with a Melrose Drive frontage the width of a fence post, and was part of section 6.)Broombank (Millar Rd, Tadstan Drive) and the Junction Hotel and associated land (Northedge and Andlon/Londrew Courts)took up the rest of the triangle.
What is now Trade Park was sold to Methodists such as Charles Nash and Ann Parr and the Methodist Church was built on the north corner of the present Trade Park Drive in 1870. Before that the Wesleyans had bought a one acresite on the bend in Cherie St and established a Wesleyan School in 1855 that operated until 1884 when the Conders Lane school opened on the present Link Rd north corner,also replacing the "Seafield" school.
South of the Catherine Avenue/Janus St Midline,the remaining 400 acres were bought by the Kilburns who called it"Fairfield". David Milburn,Victoria's first irrigator, seemed to be leasing it in 1868 and it was later leased by the Williamsons for many years. James Harrick,whose homestead is now the museum of the Keilor Historical Society later bought the property and split it into two 200 acre farms. The farm west of the Fisher Grove houses became Michael Reddan's "Brightview" (later Doyle's "Ristaro") while the eastern half was Dalkeith. This was owned by George Mansfield, T.and Ernie Baker (who had a bad accident), Tommy Loft* (who subdivided 40 acres for the Dalkeith Ave, Eumarella St and Gordon St housing), Leslie King Dawson and Moorooduc's former postmaster, Percy Hurren, who'd earlier snored during sermons while near Red Cliffs, according to Mrs David Shepherd.
(*Tommy Loft called a meeting to form the progress association in 1924 and in 1929 had Squizzy Taylor's haunt,the Junction Hotel closed, much to the displeasure of the local drinkers.His son,Ray, married Maggie Millar,lived at 3 Eumarella St,leased and then owned "Broombank",hence Millar Rd,and had a son named Gordon,after whom Gordon St was named.)
on 2014-02-16 07:57:53
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.