David COLLINS died in DANNEVIRKE 1899
DAVID COLLINS (1856-1899)
was unknown in Dannevirke. He arrived into town about 20 June 1899 and died 2 nights later of heart & lungs disease at the Central Boarding House, Dannevirke.
He was 43 and is buried unknown location Settlers Cemetery, Dannevirke
the INQUEST into the death of DAVID COLLINS
Bush Advocate, 24 June 1899
... An inquiry into the death of David Collins, who was found dead in bed at the Central boarding house on Thursday morning, was held at the boarding house the same evening before A. Mackay, Esq., J.P., Acting-Coroner, and the following jury:- Messrs Thos. Bain (foreman), J. S. Freeman, C. Fry, A. Armstrong, C. Easther, and J. Broach. The jury having viewed the body, Sergeant Siddells called:-
... Mrs PEARSON, proprietress of the boarding house, who said: Deceased came to the house on Tuesday afternoon, slept here that night, and stayed all yesterday. Had not known him before. He went to bed about 10.30 last night; he was quite sober, but had had liquor during the day. Mr Coleman slept in the same room. I occupied the next room, and heard deceased moaning a little in the night, and again this morning. Called out to him, but he did not reply. He made no complaint before going to bed. He had all his meals on Wednesday. At 11.30 this morning, being told by the girl that there was still a man in bed, I went to his room and tried to rouse him, but he did not move; as it was dark in the room I went and got a candle, and then saw that he seemed to be dead. He was lying on his back, with knees doubled up and head thrown forward. Sent for police and doctor. Deceased had a small swag; he did not say where he came from;
... Dr MACALLAN said; To-day I was called in to make a post mortem examination of deceased, which I did between 2 and 3 p.m.; he had then been dead about five hours. He was clad in trousers, stockings, shirt, singlet and waistcoat. The legs and arms were slightly drawn up and head thrown back. He appeared to be 40 years of age or over; about 5ft 3in in height, and very poorly nourished. There were no marks of violence on the body. Found the lungs much congested, with numerous adhesions; and the hear was diseased. Concluded that death was due to heart disease and congestion of the lungs; the latter would account for the noise Mrs Pearson heard, making it difficult for him to breathe.
... John COLEMAN, bricklayer, said: I reside at this boarding house, and last night occupied the same room as deceased. Went to bed after him; there was somebody in another bed in the room. Deceased appeared to be asleep. About 7 this morning heard moans two or three times. Took no notice, thinking the man might have nightmare. Left the room about 7.30, and did not enter it again. Saw the man in the sitting room last night sitting down cutting tobacco. Did not know him or speak to him.
... Sergeant SIDDELLS said: Shortly after noon to-day it was reported to me that a man had died at the Central boarding house. Proceeded there and found the body lying on its back on a bed in a room downstairs; it was clothed in trousers, shirt and socks. The legs were doubled up; there were no ,arks of violence. Recognised the body as that of DAVID COLLINS, whom I have known for the past 18 years. Previous to his coming to Dannevirke this time I last saw him at Ormondville 10 years ago. First saw him here about 11 a.m. on Tuesday; he was then sitting with his swag on the verandah of Gleeson's hotel. Saw him about town yesterday, and casually spoke to him. He appeared in good health and as far as I know had not been drinking to excess. Have searched his clothes and swag; he had not money or valuables. Found on him an envelope with D. Collins written on it. He has brothers at Hastings, whom I have communicate with. Deceased was usually employed about sheep stations.
... The Coroner briefly addressed the jury, who brought in a verdict that deceased was found dead, and that, as shown by the medical evidence, death was due to heart disease and congestion of the lungs.
GLEESON'S JUNCTION HOTEL DANNEVIRKE
where David was sitting with his swag 2 nights before his death
(later owned by Charles Baddley)