DEATH OF MR. JOHN WILLIAM LUPTON - Organ Builder
Below is a transcript of the Obituary for J.W.Lupton - Organ Builder, from the Craven Herald, Yorkshire, 1930.
AN OLD DALES ORGAN BUILDER
LINTON CHURCH ORGAN BOUGHTFOR £10
Another old Dalesman for many years associated with the organ - building industry, passed away on Saturday in the person of Mr. John William Lupton, in his 83rd year. He was a native of Grassington and spent the major portion of his life there, although for the last few years he had resided with his son at Long Preston and also with another son at Higher Parrock Farm, Nelson, where he died following a seizure.
Mr. Lupton was the son of Jacob Lupton, a lead miner and as a boy he worked in the mines on Grassington Moor. Later, he went to Bradford and was apprenticed to a cabinet maker in Westgate. Being of a musical turn of mind, he became interested in the construction of organs and ultimately devoted his career to their manufacture. He made the organ at St. Paul’s Church, Keighley, other organs built by him being those at Slack Lane Baptist Church, near Keighley ( a large 3- manual instrument with 36 stops) ; Higher Broughton Wesleyan Chapel, Manchester( 3- manual, 36 stops) ; St. Thomas’s Church Barrowford (3-manual, 36 stops) ; Ingamite Chapel, Wheatley Lane, near Burnley (2-manual, 16 stops) ; West Lane Primative Methodist Chapel, Keighley ( 2-manual, 20 Stops) ; Hermit Hole Wesleyan Chapel, Keighley ( 2-manual , 18 stops) ; Independant Chapel, Colne (2-manual, 20 stops) ; Linton Parish Church (2-manual, 23 stops ).
It was on June 5th, 1890, that Mr. Lupton purchased the old organ belonging to the Skipton Parish Church, from the late Colonel Robinson, one of the church wardens, for £10.The sum was paid by the late Dr. Aston, then Rector of Linton. Mr. Lupton paid the carriage of the organ from Skipton to Linton, and fixed the old “great” organ in the church, where it was used for 10 months until new parts were completed. The organ was opened on April 11th, 1891. The whole cost of moving from Skipton and building new parts was £120. It never cost the Church money in cleaning and repairs until 1913.
Mr. Lupton first showed his musical instinct when a boy working at the lead mines engaged in handing out candles to the miners
he was constantly whistling a habit which led Mr. J. Ray Eddy the last and famous “Captain” of the mines, to notice him. He taught Lupton to play a concertina.
Mr. Lupton was well known locally, as he formally visited all parts of the Dales tuning pianos. Having regard to the fact that he was practically stone - deaf, his accomplishments in this direction was astonishing. It is recalled that a Miss Sarah Fennings, a violinist of St. James Hall ( London) fame, visited Grassington regularly and gave concerts in the old Town Hall. It is note-worthy that Miss Fennings always engaged Mr. Lupton, not withstanding his deafness to tune the pianoforte engaged to concert pitch, a task which he performed faultlessly.
The funeral took place at Long Preston Church on Tuesday the service being conducted by the Rev. G. S. Addison (vicar).
The mourners were Mr. W.H.Lupton and Mr. H. Lupton (sons), Mr. L. Lupton, Mr. D. Lupton and Mr. G. Lupton ( grandsons ),
Mr. James Holt and Miss M. Holt ( cousins ), Miss Robinson ( friend ).
The bearers were Mr. Stork, Mr. Ward, Mr. M. Jackman, Mr. T. Thompson, Mr. T.Kayley and Mr. A Jackman.
Photo below John William Lupton aged 52 in 1900.