DIXON Street, Te Aro, Wellington - 1843
the following from NZTC was written about 1928
... Dixon Street, Te Aro, extends from The Terrace to Taranaki Street, and is approached by tram via Willis and Cuba Streets.
Named after J. Dixon, Esq., a promoter of the New Zealand Company, and a friend of Captain Mein Smith, who surveyed the road in 1841.
The earliest residents recorded on the Burgess Roll, 1843, are: Messrs.
* Geo. Hunter and E. Catchpool.
In 1845 (Free Lance, 12/8/1925), Mr. Geo. Waters advertises the sale of oranges and drapery at his place of business in Dixon Street.
In 1849 the Misses Spinks conducted a school opposite Herbert Street, before they removed to a house (still standing in 1927) behind St. John's Presbyterian Church. This school was in operation from 1849 to 1897. (Some Schools and Schoolmasters, by G. Macmorran.)
A horse infirmary, Michael Quin, appeared in 1852, and the following names are recorded in an almanac for 1863 (spelt Dickson) :
* G. Turnbull, merchant;
* J. Tully, grazier;
* A. Allen and M. Quin (south side).
From Quin Street (now Sturdee) are:
* N. Stoddart,
* G. Waters,
* C. Luxford,
* S. Parks,
* G. Goldfinch,
* J. Halket.
On the north side are:
* G. Hunter, merchant; to Willis Street,
* T. W. Pilcher, ships agent, to Herbert Street;
and from Herbert Street were:
* P. McCafferty,
* J. R. Williams (surgeon),
* J. Kermore, J. Harris,
* T. McClelland.
A Wesleyan School, conducted by Mr. Stephens, was started in 1873, and Prouse page 223 Bros. timber mills were in full swing in 1874. Dixon's cordial factory, later Ballinger's, occupied the site now partly covered by the Municipal Milk Depot. The principal buildings are St. John's Presbyterian Church, the Y.M.C.A. Hostel, and King's Theatre.