DRAYTON/JARVIE/PRITCHARD :: FamilyTreeCircles.com Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by viv_clem

New to Ancestry searching and am very interested in finding out information on my great grandmother who was born Ellen Maud Drayton in 1884 (Victoria, Australia), to Robert Drayton and I believe Mary Firth. She married Peter Jarvie (don't know the date) but he died at aged 43 in 1915 so I believe she remarried and took the name Pritchard.

Viewed: 1455 times
by viv_clem Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2014-09-14 04:46:09

viv_clem has been a Family Tree Circles member since Sep 2014.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by wizard28 on 2014-09-19 05:34:41

Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922
Name: Ellen Maud Drayton
Father's Name: Robert Drayton
Mother's name: Mary Firth
Birth Place: Yea, Victoria
Registration Year: 1884
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Number: 28918

by wizard28 on 2014-09-19 05:38:43

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Ellen Maud Drayton
Spouse Name: Peter Jas Jarvie
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1905
Registration Number: 668

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Arth Cecil Vere Pritchard
Spouse Name: Maud Ellen Jarvie
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1918
Registration Number: 5859

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-19 20:41:28

PETER JAMES JARVIE, FARMER, late of Jeeralang, near Morwell Victoria died 23rd June 1915.

The "Morwell Advertiser" writes':-It is with feelings of very deep regret that we have to record the death of Mr Peter Jarvie,of Jeeralang,who died under very distressing circumstances, on Wednesday night. Deceased, who was about 43 or 44 years of age, resided in Jeeralang all his life, and was well and most favorably
known throughout the district. He was among the first to volunteer for active service at the time of the Boer war and saw a good deal of service in South Africa. Some time after his return from the war, he married and settled down on his farm at Jeeralang, about nine miles from Morwell. He was a hard working, industrious man
of steady habits, and naturally prospered. He, however, resolved to leave the hills, and settle on the flat country. He therefore sold his farm a few weeks ago, and entered into negotiations to purchase a property handy to Melbourne. In the meantime he and his family removed temporarily to Mrs
E lis farm at Hazelwood.
It seems that deceased became greatly worried regarding the purchase of some properties, and the matter upset him so much that it would appear for a time at least that his mind became so deranged that he shot himself.
He was in Morwell on Wednesday, and in the afternoon returned to his old farm at Jeeralang with two friends.
In the evening the two friends went across to see deceased's brother Dave,who resides close by, about some matter, leaving deceased to boil the kettle.
When the friends returned they were horrified to find deceased had taken his life.
Deceased leaves a wife and five young children to mourn their loss, and deep sympathy is expressed for them, as well as for deceased's aged parents and other relatives in their sad and sudden bereavement.
Tralalgon Record 29th June 1915 p.4

*Brother Dave is David Weir Jarvie

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-19 21:11:13

At magisterial inquiry held before Mr J. Hall, J.P., touching the death of Mr Peter Jarvie (reported in our last issue), the following depositions were taken :
Thomas Thompson, residing at Morwell, deposed: I have viewed the body and identify it as that of Peter James Jarvie.
Geo. Alex. Davidson, farmer, residing at Jeeralang, deposed : I knew the deceased Peter James Jarvie. I left Morwell with him about mid-day on 23rd June and arrived at his farm about 5.15 p.m. We took certain articles out of the buggy. I then suggested to deceased that Mr. Ashe and myself should walk over to Dave Jarvie's to get some blankets, etc. that had been left there on a previous visit, on our departure. Deceased proceeded to light a fire and we heard him chopping the wood as we ascended the hill. We arrived at Dave Jarvie's ; stayed about ten minutes and
then returned with our things. On entering the house on our return we saw the deceased lying on the kitchen floor on his right side, between the dresser and the kitchen door. On close examination we saw there were big pools of blood beside him, and a rifle or gun underneath him, the stock of which was under his head. On closer examination we saw that he was quite dead. The greater portion of his head seemed to
have been blown away. We remained about five minutes, turned the lamp down and returned to Dave Jarvie's to give him word of the occurrence. The rifle produced, I have no doubt, is the rifle seen on my return where deceased was lying. I was on friendly terms with deceased and had no altercation with him concerning anything while we were unloading the buggy. Deceased passed the remark that "this once seemed
like a home, but now it appears more like a graveyard."
John Langtree Ashe, farmer, residing at Jeeralang, deposed : I knew Peter James Jarvie, deceseased, and corroborate the evidence of last witness, Geo. Alex.
Davidson, to a detail in connection with all the evidence he has given. I was in
his company and that of deceased from the time we left Morwell on the 23rd inst. till the arrival at deceased's residence, at about 5.15 p.m., and subsequently. I accompanied Mr Davidson on our visit to Dave Jarvie's, and on our return to the farm where we found, deceased lying dead.
John Willett, constable of police, stationed at Morwell, deposed : On Wednesday, 23rd inst., about midnight, it was reported to me that Peter James Jarvie was lying dead in his house at Jeeralang. I went out and found him lying on his face in the kitchen. He was fully dressed and and his clothing was not disarranged in any way. There was no appearance of a struggle. The top of the head had been blown off. I discovered a bullet hole in the ceiling. The carbine produced was lying underneath
the body, the stock being under the head. A discharged 303 cartridge was in the breach of the rifle. I am of opinion it was a self inflicted wound.
Ernest Weston Sutcliffe, medical practioneer residing at Morwell, deposed that he had made a post mortem examination of the body of Peter James Jarvie, on 25th June, as requested by the police. The body was well formed and well nourished. The roof of skull was missing. Several pieces of bone were lying in the brain cavity. The brain was lacerated. In the centre of forehead was a large hole surrounded by bruising and scarring of the skin and flesh. The hole might have been caused by a rifle bullet fired with the muzzle of gun in close contact with the forehead. The direction of the hole and the roof of the skull being blown off pointed to the fact that the gun was pointing upwards, and that the injury could have been self inflicted. He was
of opinion that the wound was self-inflicted and that the state of the brain pointed to the fact that there was unsoundness of mind at the time.
A verdict was duly returned in accordance with doctor's evidence, that deceased died from a wound self inflicted by rifle, and that there was unsoundness of mind at the time.
Morwell Advertiser 2nd July 1915 p.2

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-19 21:33:25

DEATH OF MARY JARVIE (Mother of Peter James Jarvie)

JARVIE-On the 13th June, at her daughter's' residence (Mrs Thompson), 128 Charles street, Footscray, Mary,widow of the late James Jarvie, of Morwell and Jeeralang, also Ballarat,and loving mother of Jenie (Mrs. Thompson), Mary (Mrs. Hare), Peter
(deceased), Elizalbeth (Mrs Aitken,Dandenong), Jessie (Mrs Thompson,Yarraville), Ettie (Mrs Rowell, Bairnsdale) and David (Bamawin), aged 83 years.
Peace, perfect peace
Morwell Advertiser 18th June 1926 p.2

An old pioneer and highly respected resident of the district, in the person of Mrs. Jarvie, relict of the late Mr. James Jarvie, passed away on Sunday last, at the residence of her daughter (Mrs. Thompson),Footscray, at the ripe old age of 83
The deceased lady was one the grand old pioneers who helped to
open up Gippsland. She was the first white woman to go back into the hills of Jeeralang, when the place was simply a dense forest and under most difficult conditions assisted her husband to make a comfortable home and rare a family that
is a credit to them. Mrs. Jarvie was of a kindly and hospitable nature, and in the early days when other settlers followed her and her husband into Jeeralang, their home was simply an open house to which everyone was made welcome and treated in a most hospitable manner.
After many years spent in the hills, Mr. and Mrs. Jarvie settled down in Morwell to enjoy a well earned rest.
Mr. Jarvie shortly after crossed the "Great Divide" and Mrs. Jarvie later on lived with her daughter (Mrs A.Rowell) for some years. A short time ago she went to visit her daughter (Mrs. Thompson) at Footscray, where she took a bad turn and passed away as stated. She leaves a family of one son and five daughters for whom sympathy is expressed in their bereavement.
The remains of deceased were brought to Morwell on Monday last,and interred in the Hazelwood cemetery. The Rev. J. A. Craigen officiated at the grave, the mortuary
arrangements being carried out by Mr J. Bolger.
Morwell Advertiser 18th June 1926 p.2

by viv_clem on 2014-09-21 05:37:07

Thank you very much to the two members for their discovery, this is very, very helpful.

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-21 19:45:52


[Letter from Trooper P. Jarvie.]
The following are extracts from a letter written by Trooper P. Jarvie, late of Jeeraling, which will be found very interesting. He writes:
"I am writing you this while on outpost duty, away from Middleburg.I am in splendid health. I will give you an account of our travels. We left camp at Sunnyside about 8 p.m. and rode into Pretoria, but there were no trains to take us on, so we tied our
horses to fences and verandah posts, and slept on the road in our great-coats and entrained about 9 next morning from Middleburg. This line is pretty bad as it is continually being broken, and we could not travel at night. We made about thirty miles the first day, and camped for the night. It look three days to do about ninety miles.
We camped two days outside Middleburg and then moved northward with a large convoy, and a body of infantry, altogether about three thousand men.I was amnong the Baggage Guard, and two of tihe waggons got bogged, and a few of us were left with them and the rest went on. It is a sight to see Kafira driving bullocks. They take 16 bullocks to draw a load of 3500lb. and the chains and harness are continually breaking. Three of us were sent with the second last waggon and had just caught the convoy when word was brought in that the last waggon was attacked, so we galloped back with a gun and fired a couple of rounds of shell into a farm house, where they
were sniping at the waggon, but it got away alright, and we camped at Honning Spruit that night. When our cattle raiders came in that night they reported one man wounded, one prisoner taken (afterwards released) and one horse killed. They got about 200 cattle. Next day we moved on again,and soon our left flank was under fire.
The guns opened on some hills in the front, and shelled some Boers there. Then the convoy went on, our company being in the centre, so we proceeded with occasional sniping until about 8 p.m., when fire opened in front and we were galloped about two miles, but with the exception of a few bullets striking the grouud near us, we did not see anything. Camped that night at dark,and the next day all was quiet and we
went on in peace, and camped about 10 miles further on, coming across two waggons the Boers had abandoned and those were quickly looterd by the advance guard, and some split and soft-nosed ammunition found in them. Next day day we left the convoy and infantry in camp, and all men with strong horses were ordered to strip their sadldles of everything, and on no account were men with weak horses to go. We left the camp at 9 a.m, and rode through a valley studded with bushes until about 3 p.m, but did not catch the convoy as expected, and after halting for about an hour, the scouts reported they had turned up a valley on our left. The guns were moved on to a hill, and soon sighted them, and opened fire on the convoy and the hills in front. Our company had to cross the valley and we had a bit of trouble to find a place to
ford a river. While looking for a crossing a few shots were fired at as, but they did not get the range. We crossed the valley and came up to where the waggons were burning (being fired by our shells) and rode up into horse shoe shaped valley where we could hear a dog barking and where our guns could not reach. As we crossed a donga we saw a waggon about one hundred yards from us and rode towards it. We had to cross about an acre of open ground, and when we got fairly onto it the Boers opened fire from the half circle of hills. I was in the first group and as we wheeled to get back to cover Corporal Carter was wounded in the thigh, and a glanced bullet braised another man's back (both being in my group) while the bullets whistled around us We galloped back about five hundred yards, left our horses and advanced
and opened fire, and soon silenced the Boers, burnt the waggon and retired, it being nearly dark. Our bill was Cor. Carter wounded, one horse killed and three wounded, and all the satisfaction we had was the waggons were burnt, for we saw no Boers. We rode back to camp reaching it about 10 p.m.
Then we heard that Jim Beaths had been wounded and the other Company had burned nine waggons. Yesterday we left camp with some waggons and moved out to the South East about seven miles and camped for the night.
Today we are still here in a lovely valley with farm houses along it. From where we are we can see a lot of houses about two miles from us, and see men coming and going from the hills to the left of them, and they are certainly Boers. Last night our advance guard caught eight or ten prisoners at the same houses and one of them, a lad, had his rifle loaded with a soft-nosed cartridge, and they seriously considered
about shooting him, but I don't know if they did, but we are told to bring no man into camp if we take any with soft or split-nosed bullets.
" This is an account of things up to date, and now for a word about the country. This part is called the high or bush veldt, on account of being studded over with bush ; it is covered with grass in places 6ft high, and looks something splendid. As this is the end of the rainy season it is at its best, nice and green, but there is something wrong about it, as our horses will hardly touch it. It is a cursed country for horses; we have some die at every camp and along the road, and what are left don't thrive. Cattle and sheep are never left out at night, but put into a yard and kept there until the dew is off the grass in the morning. The weather is as hot as summer during the day and very cold at night, with heavy dew. In places the ground is black with iron dust like gunpowder, and the hill we are posted on is one huge outcrop of quartz, running in a straight line East and West. This country has never
been prospected and I would like to try it if I had a chance. The hills are flat
on the top like a table, and very steep on the sides, in places being upright.
Broad valleys run through them and they are dotted with maize patches, and farm houses. There are plenty of lemons, oranges and limes, pigs, poultry and cattle. I would like to have the value of the cattle they have collected, it would give a man a fine start. We spare the houses where they are deserted or have women in them ; but if there is any firing from the house, or close to it, or any ammunition found in it, then it burns. They are bringing all women into camp, and at present about
200 men, women and children are there.
A few have brought in waggons and surrended, and are treated well in camp.There are some nice looking girls among them.
" Now about our friends. J. Moran is well ; J.Thompson was left sick
somewhere on the way, and there is a rumour that T. McDonald is dead; McKenzie was left sick at Sunnyside, and J. Nutall was left at Middleburg, having no horse. The remainder of them are well, but we left nearly 100 men behind at Sunnyside, with fever,measles, and mauser fever, not a very good record for the Fifth Contingent.
I met Dave White, he is a sergeant attached to G Company.
Morwell Advertiser 26th June 1901 p.3

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-21 20:38:58

PART OF ARTICLE ON JAMES (JIM) JARVIE- Father of Peter James Jarvie

Presentation to Mr, Mrs and Miss Jarvie.
Fifty-five years ago a strong,robust young Scotchman, about 20 years of age, named Jim Jarvie left his native land for the distant shores of Australia, from whence the discovery of rich gold had been noised abroad. He possessed all the grit, stamina, and determination of his race, and having once made up his mind to go to Australia, no obstacle was too great for him to overcome, and in due time, after a long and
tedious passage of some 14,ooo miles across the water, he eventually set
foot in Victoria. It was not long before he found his way to the "diggings," and shared in the "ups and downs" of the general run of miners in those days. When things quietened down somewhat in Victoria, and gold was discovered in New Zealand, Jim Jarvie went to Maoriland and remained there for about eight years.
He then returned to Victoria, and decided to settle on the land. With a fine wife and young family he came to Gippsland, and it was his indomitable pluck and determination to overcome difficulties that led him, thirty years ago, to select a
block of land in Jeeralang that his nephew had thrown up. He found out afterwards that there were a number of other blocks available miles closer to railway and township, on flat country, but "having put his hand to the plough would not
turn back." His block was on top of a mountain wild and steep, covered with dense scrub and giant trees,and only a man with a heart like a lion would have attempted to carve out a home in such a place. There were no other settlers so far back, but a man named Dean had a block a few miles lower down, and a little later on John Beale found his way into the locality. It was utterly impossible to negotiate the hills with a vehicle, but bridle-tracks were made and with pack-horses provisions were
got in, but it was no small task for a horse to get up the " Blowfly" hill or "Little Joe" with any sort of a pack on. After a time a spring cart could be got as far as the foot of the "Blowfly" where a shed was built on the road and goods packed on, from there. In the meantime Jarvie worked like a Trojan on his land,and with the support of his partner in life and family was fast converting a wilderness into a smiling farm.
But only the " boys of the old brigade" who have had experience in such work can realise what such a task meant; the bush fires that had to be started and fought, the bad roads and the difficulty of getting produce to market, to say nothing of the privations and self-denials to be endured and difficulties to be encountered so far back from civilization. But Jim Jarvie was cheerful and hopeful all through. Settlers arrived and the land all around him was, taken up. His block was getting clear and the roads were being much improved. New arrivals found him and his family, genial and hospitable, and everybody was always made welcome at Jarvie's. This
proved a great boon to the new settlers who also profited by the sound advice Mr Jarvie was able to give them. And so time has gone on and great changes have occurred.The dense forest has been cleared, there is now no necessity to scale the
"Blowfly" or use the pack-horse, for new roads have been made and for some years past Mr Jarvie has been able to drive a vehicle to and from his place. Now the cream-waggon calls almost at his door, church services are held at his house, there
is a state school not far distant, and entertainments and other forms of amusement frequently take place, so that the rising generations have much to thank the old pioneers for,and especially the "Grand old man of the hill"-Mr Jim Jarvie-his part-
ner-Mrs Jarvie-and family, who have all done their share in opening up the way for others, as well as doing their best to cheer and help all with whom they came in contact.
And now that the old couple have reached their declining years, have cleared their farm and reared a family of which they have every reason to feel justly proud, they
intend enjoying a well-earned rest. They have sold their place in the hills on which they have resided for thirty years, and have bought a cottage in Morwell where, we join their many friends in expressing the hope that they will spend many
happy and peaceful days.
Naturally when it became known that Mr and Mrs Jarvie were about to leave Jeeralang the residents felt they could not allow their old and esteemed-friends to depart without expressing in some way their kind regard and goodwill towards them.
Several met together to decide what action should be taken, with the result that on Friday evening last a large and representative gathering met at their residence to bid them farewell and present them with a small token of esteem. As usual
the guest were all made most welcome, and a very enjoyable time was spent by those present.
Morwell Advertiser 24th february 1911 p.3

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-21 21:37:58


On Wednesday last Mr Peter Jarvie, eldest son of Mr Jas. Jarvie, of Jeeralang, and Miss Drayton, were united in the bonds of wedlock by the Rev. H.Williams at the residence of the bride's parents.
Morwell Advertiser Firiday 24th February 1905 p.2

by Morgan2409 on 2014-09-21 21:51:29

Obituary Notes.
As mentioned in a recent issue,another of the few remaining old pioneers, in the person of Mr. James Jarvie, crossed the Great Divide,on the 4th inst.,at the ripe old age of 85 years. The deceased gentleman, who for many years was known as the grand old man of Jeeralang, was born in Sterlingshire, Klylayth, Scotland.
He was a hardy, brave and enterprising Scot,and when quite a lad made up his mind to leave the land of heather for fresh fields and pastures new in sunny Australia,
12,000 odd miles distant. In those days little was known of' Australia beyond the fact that gold was being discovered in various parts, and that fact led young Jim Jarvie to decide to cross the expansive briney to Aussie and try his luck on the
goldfields. He was possessed of a strong arm and a stout heart,and thought nothing of the big risk in undertaking the trip in a small boat,the journey occupying some months,or the hardships to be encountered in a far off strange land. It is over
60 years ago since he set foot in Victoria, and made straight for the gold fields at Ballarat, where fortunes were being dug up in a surprising manner. Like many others, however, he did not pick up a great deal of the golden treasure, and, after remaining on the diggings for a time without meeting with much luck, he joined in a rush to newly discovered gold fields on the West coast of New Zealand, where he
remained some months, but after sharing in the usual ups and downs experienced by miners in those days, he returned to Ballarat, where he followed mining pursuits for a number of years.
Forty years ago Mr Jarvie resolved to give up mining and go upon the land, and as a result he came to Morwell and selected land on the top of the Jeeralang Hills.
In doing this he was wanting of judgment, due, no doubt, to the fact that he had little knowledge of land, for equally good land was available in those days on level
country much nearer town and railway. However, what he lacked in judgment he made up for in grit and energy, and was also blessed with a staunch helpmate in his wife, who was possessed of the same nature as himself, and was the first white woman to reach the top of the hills.
They had practically to carve their way through dense scrub and giant trees to reach the selection, and here they settled down and reared a family.For many years everything had to be packed in and out,but nevertheless Mr and Mrs Jarvie and
family were cheerful, happy and content with their lot. Bye and bye other settlers came into the hills and the Jarvies found a great deal of pleasure in assisting and helping new comers in every possible way.
Their selection was converted from a wild dense forest into a smiling and productive farm and James Jarvie,the early poineer, prospered. Their home was open to all and in joy and sorrow the early settlers in the hills were wont to go there, and they never went in vain. In trouble and sickness they were assisted and comforted, whilst in joy they were made more glad. As time went on things changed a great deal in the
hills.Roads of a kind were made that did away with the old, though faithful, pack horse, and in due time a vehicle could be taken to the top of the hills. The roads were further improved until now there is every prospect that at no far distant date
there will be a splendid graded road right to the top of the hills. Having well passed the allotted span of life James Jarvie resolved to enjoy a well-earned rest. He sold his property in Jeeralang about eight years ago and purchased a house in Morwell, where he resided with his wife and a daughter till the time of his death. The deceased gentleman was a well read man, and was very familiar with Bobbie Burns and other works. He was a man of sterling character and held in the very highest respect by all with whom he came in contact.
He leaves a widow and family of one son (Mr. Dave Jarvie) and five daughters- Mrs Thompson(Footscray), Mrs K. Aitken (Moondarra),Mrs Hare (Gunbower), Mrs Thompson (Cobden)and Mrs A. Rowell (Morwell), -to mourn their loss.
The remains of deceased were interred in the Hazelwood Cemetery on the 6th inst. The Rev. Owen officiated at grave, the mortuary arrangement being carried out by Mr J. Bolger
Morwell Advertiser 19th September 1919 p.2

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.