DUNN'S FARM OF 123 ACRES AT STRATHMORE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA INCLUDED 12 ACRES THAT BECAME PART OF "LEBANON".
MOONEE PONDS as used in the first decades of Victoria's permanent settlement did not mean the present suburb but "somewhere near the Moonee Moonee Chain of Ponds" (Moonee Ponds Creek.)
Today's Strathmore consists of the part of section 16 Doutta Galla east of Bulla Rd, section 15, east of today's Carnarvon/ Arvon Rd to the Moonee Ponds Creek, and section 23 (known in early times as St John's) north of section 15 to the Moonee Ponds Creek, whose south west corner was just south of the Nomad Rd, Vaughan St corner.
Title documents for section 23 mentioned a 123 acre farm leased by a Mr Dunn which became known as Dunn's Farm but I was not sure whether this Mr Dunn was Henry Dunn or a Thomas Dunn AND there was no way that the whole farm could have been in section 23. Sir John Franklin was the owner of the 123 acre farm and title documents regarding section 15 showed that 12 acres of Dunn's farm was actually the northern portion of section 15 which John Murray Peck had fenced in 1882 when he moved onto the part of section 15 purchased by William Smith and immediately south of Sir John Franklin's section 15 purchase. Peck paid the rates for this 12 acre block but never claimed title. After Peck's death, J. English bought Lebanon and claimed title for the 12 acres through adverse possession.
Across the creek from St John's was John Pascoe Fawkner's grant, crown allotment 151 Jika Jika of 709 acres, north to the line of about Victoria St/Rhodes Pde where it adjoined the Glenroy estate and east to Northumberland Rd, Pascoe Vale. In about 1842, Fawkner was forced to sell the land east of Pascoe Vale Rd because of losses from his squatting venture near today's Monegeetta but his Belle Vue Park across the creek from St John's was in his wife's name and could not be sequestered. Fawkner had established the Pascoeville Village just north of the Pascoe Vale bridge and the Young Queen Hotel became a landmark. William Smith (from whom Peck purchased his section 15 land in about 1881) was running the hotel when in 1847 he was accused of murdering his servant, which might account for Mr Parslowe being in charge of the hotel at the time of the robbery at THOMAS DUNN'S farm in 1848*.
Major St John's corruption as a Crown Land Commissioner was exposed by Fawkner who was sued by St John, found guilty and fined a token pittance. Disgraced, St John left the colony. Sir John Franklin added section 23 to his several purchases in the area and leased Dunn's Farm to the mysterious Mr Dunn. Thomas Dunn's home would have been near today's Lebanon Reserve, just across the creek from the Young Queen.
* ROBBING A DWELLING HOUSE WITH VIOLENCE
SNIPPETS FROM "EARLY LANDOWNERS: PARISH OF DOUTTA GALLA".
This was granted to corrupt magistrate and Crown Lands Commissioner, Major G.F.B.St. John in 1843. J.P.Fawkner exposed his bribe-taking and he fled home embarrassed in 1848. Lady Franklin bought the 516 acres.
Sketch of Title 11578 seems to indicate that St John made Charles Hotson Ebden a dower trustee on 25-2-1843 (B 304). On 17-12-1844, section 23 was conveyed to Sir John Franklin by Ebden, Frederick Armand Powlett (who was probably also a trustee) and St John (c 341).
On 31-3-1852, Sir John and Dame Jane leased 414 acres of section 23 to Thomas Lawson for 10 years at a rent of 100 pounds p.a. This land went east to “Nursery Corner”. On 17-3-1862, Henry Mawbey (mentioned by Harry Peck) started a 5 year lease of 123 acres commonly known as Dunn’s Farm and recently occupied by Eliza Guest. As mentioned before, section 23 only consisted of 525 acres, and these two farms had a total area of 537 acres. Dunn’s farm actually comprised 111 acres of section 23 plus the northernmost 12 acres of section 15.
UNDER SECTION 15.
SIR JOHN FRANKLIN.
On 15-2- 1847, Sir John Franklin bought the northern 12 acres of section 15. From Brewster memorials it has been established that the northern boundary of section 15 is indicated by the intersection of Esmale, Lebanon and Amar Sts. From this line, Franklin’s land went 295 links (59 METRES) south to the e-w section of Lebanon St (D 847).
46645. John M.English.
Part allotment 15 Doutta Galla.
Claim by possession.
L.R.O. Sir John Franklin
(see D 847* set out on ??) also see 11578 from which it appears that his widow Jane Franklin is interested.
John Morgan English, the registered proprietor of abutting land in 9 T? Vol. 2209 Fol 441708 (records available only go to volume 999) from which the land applied for was with other land excised **thus necessitating this present application
(* D 847 records the sale of the 12 acres to Franklin by Brewster.)
(** Broadmeadows Rate books show that in 1900 Alex Robertson had just replaced dairyman, Robert G.Bryant as lessee of “200 acres Doutta Galla” owned by the Hodgson executors. It is known that this was Thomas Kelly’s former eastern portion of section 23, which was roughly between the Strathaird/Menarra St corner and Lebanon Reserve.
His application states (inter alia)
That Crown Grantee was Edward Jones Brewster- But he conveyed
That he has never acknowledged ownership or been called on to do so and no rent or payment has been made by or claimed from him except rent under lease from Land Investment Coy to whom he has sold under contract of sale dated 4 Dec 1923
He occupies under Co lease-
That from 1902 or sometime prior unto: up to 26 June 1918 land was occupied by himself and his brother (probably Joseph English) for grazing purposes and since that date by himself as owner? or lessee as ###? for same purposes:
All rates paid by him or his brother till 1918 and from 1918 to 1923 by him since then by Co. ?? Coy.
Since 1902 a fence has always stood on south boundary of land on south of land applied for- red on survey plan (survey plan not enclosed) and was erected on line upon which an old fence had stood for at least 15 years prior to 1902.
19 Dec 1925 Staty Decl of Harry Huntington Peck
456830 He well knows land in survey plan ???A
(Of course the future author of “Memoirs of a Stockman” should have known the land; his father had squatted on it for about 20 years.)
He is joint owner of land abutting (on portion of south side ) of red and blue and first became acquainted with (said?) land in 1882 when such land was enclosed by fences on south, west and north west sides shown on plan and land has been enclosed by fences from 1882 (to date?) except that about 1902 a new fence was erected on south on line on which original fence stood since 1882.
Thomas Dunn later bought portions of section 15. Details can be supplied on request.
on 2017-11-27 03:28:54
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.