SATHERLEYs - Kingsbury, Episcopi to Nelson, New Zealand
EDMOND SATHERLEY was born in 1790 Kinsbury, Episcopi, Somerset, England. Base born to Jesse Staherley and Silas Talbot. (His mother later married Wiliam GERRARD)
Edmond married Sarah GIFFORD in 1811 in England.
They had 1 child, Job Satherley, Sarah died 5 weeks later.
Edmond next married Mary READ in 1814
- Mary was born in Kingsbury. She died in Nelson, New Zealand 1862
- Edmond died in East Lambrook in 1843
They had 8 (known) children in Kingsbury, Episcopi, Martlock, Somerset, England of which at least 3 emigrated to New Zealand:
1/ William Satherley
- born 1817 - died 1893 in Wellington, New Zealand.
He 1st married Caroline ? in 1839 in England. They had a son, James then emigrated to New Zealand in 1842 on the SIR CHARLES FORBES. Caroline died at sea.
He next married Sarah Ann PAGE (from Hampshire) in Nelson in 1844
- They had 6 known children:
1846 - 1913 George Satherley
- he married Caroline PILCHER
1848 - 1925 Caroline Satherley
- she married Bruce WITHERS
1851 - 1919 Elizabeth Kate Satherley
- she married George ROUT
1855 - 1924 John Satherley
- he married Ellen MARSON
- he married Bridget CAMERON
1857 - 1865 Henry William Satherley
- he died aged 8
1861 - 1947 Mary Satherley
- she married Thomas SATHERLEY (their parents were siblings, William and Sarah, children of Edmond and Mary (nee Read)
2/ Elizabeth Satherley
- born 1824 - died 1878 in New Zealand - possibly settled in Nelson.
She married Job RUSS and had 10 known children (9 boys then a daughter):
- they also brought up Job's brother, Jacob's, daughter Bertha as her mother died a few weeks after her birth. Jacob Russ was a twin with Esau Russ who was muredered by Joseph ELLIS in 1861 at Nelson
The children of Elizabeth & Job:
1844 - 1866 Henry Russ
- he died aged 33 of Typhoid
1846 - 1913 John Russ
- he died aged 67
1848 - 1934 Thomas Russ
- he married Alice HORN
1850 - 1930 William Edmund Russ
- he married Jane KERR
- he married Hannah HIGGINS
1852 - 1936 George Russ
- he married Margaret BELL
1854 - 1866 Walter Russ
- he died aged 2 weeks from Typhoid
1856 - 1901 Charles Frederick Russ
- he married Leila Mills 'Lily' DAVIES
1858 - 1920 James Albert Russ
- he married Sylvia Eliza DAVIES
1860 - 1931 Simeon Russ
- he married Ellen Ann HUNTER
1866 - 1907 Emily Jane Russ
- she married Albert Newth DAVIES
.. 1869 - 1953 Bertha Russ (see above)
.. - she married Sydney HIGGINS
the DEATH of ELIZABETH RUSS (nee Satherley) as reported in the NELSON EVENING MAIL, 9 July 1878:
... A sudden death occurred on Saturday last at Waimea West. Mrs Russ, the wife of Mr Job Russ, the recent purchaser of the Bearcroft property, while engaged in moving the furniture into their new house, slipped in the verandah and fell, and in doing so it seems that she inflicted upon herself some internal injury. She complained of feeling unwell, and was in some pain, but it was not thought that anything serious was the matter until Saturday, when Mr Waring was sent for. On arriving at the house he at once saw that she was in danger, and returned to Richmond to telegraph for Dr Farrelle, but an hour later she expired. Mr and Mrs Russ had been residents in Waimea West for considerably over 25 years, and, together with their family of seven sons, have always been looked up to as respectable, industrious, and valuable settlers.
3/ George Satherley
- born 1831 - died 1887 in New Zealand. He married Harriet Martin in Somerset in 1854 (Martin being her middle OR surname)
- They had 3 children in Somerset, 1 born at sea on the QUEEN OF AVON in 1859 and another 10 in New Zealand.
- Their first born, Henry 'Harry' Satherley was murdered in 1897.
Thank you to Tania and her email of Jan 2010 that provided info for this Satherley family, especially for Harry here and the news of his murder
... Henry Satherley went by the name Harry Satherley, he married Annie Hathaway who was born in 1863 in NZ and died on 25 June 1887 in blenhiem, they were married on 30 June 1881, she`s buried in the Tua Marina Cemetery in Blenhiem. He then married Mary Christina Galvin on 15 Aug 1889 in Spring creek. She was born on 20 Dec 1863 in Ireland and died 22 Feb 1958 in Foxton, They had a still born son in July 1892 who is buried in Richard Ward Cemetery, Richmond. He had children to both women I have a couple of names but have to do a bit more research. Will get back to you in a couole of days with that info. Henry or Harry as he was known, was a horse trainer/owner in NZ. He was last seen alive on 9 July 1897. This is thought to be his death date. His body was found on 26 Oct 1897 in the Opawa River. . . This is referred to as the Satherley murder and also The Satherley Mystery
Please leave a comment if you can help with more info or correct any of the data at the above links