ELDRIDGE: The surname enters my tree
The surname enters my tree through Jonathan > Thomas > William > Josiah > Duncan > Jacob Mullen ELDRIDGE.
Jacob's 2nd wife, Mary HIGH WILLIAMS, bore 9 children in the outskirts of Davenport, Scott, Iowa on Jersey Ridge Road, so named by him because it reminded him of his home in Haddonfield, Camden, New Jersey where he was born to Duncan CAMPBELL and Rachel BROWN ELDRIDGE, their only surviving child.
This Jersey Ridge fruit farm home was given up in bankruptcy and the family moved to the southwest corner of 16th St.(now Kirkwood Blvd) and Farnam St. It was convenient for the children to get to school and for Jacob to maintain a real estate, loan agency office 'downtown', and his committees that helped build Davenport.
The 9 children:
1. Elizabeth born 3 Apr 1852 became a medical doctor and married Wm. I. JOY; 2 children, divorced as of 1880 census; married Dr. Reuben ELDRIDGE - not related - became divorced, moved to Ames, Story, Iowa where she died of diabetes and is buried in Ames Municipal Cemetery with her son and granddaughter.
2. Charles born 1854 (no date), died 26 Apr 1854 buried in Oakdale
3. Katherine/Kate/Katty born 9 Mar 1855, married Samuel LYTER GLASPELL, in the ELDRIDGE family home, moved to Dakota Territory with Samuel who was a circuit judge, had 3 children, both died in North Dakota and are buried in Davenport's Oakdale Memorial Gardens. Both buried in Oakdale
4. Frank Wallace born 29 July 1858, married Luella ALLEN, moved to Stutsman County, North Dakota near Kate and Samuel, moved back to Davenport, worked at the Rock Island Arsenal as a carpenter, and was a mail carrier for the USPS in Davenport. Both buried in Oakdale.
5. William V. "Willie" born 14 Feb 1860, died of typhoid 19 Mar 1866, buried in Oakdale
6. Minnie born 20 July 1862, married Carl Edward SCHLEGEL in the ELDRIDGE family home, had 4 children, died in Davenport - both are buried in Oakdale
7. Jennie - this writer's lineage. She married George Washington BAWDEN, a lawyer. They built a home on Kirkwood Blvd. Both are buried in Oakdale on the Jacob Eldridge lot.
8. George Wallace born 16 Jan 1868, married Sue KELLY, and helped develop the town of Wynne, Cross, Arkansas. He died 4 Feb 1943 in Wynne and they are buried in Wynne's Cogbill (hill?) cemetery.
9. Emily M. born 23 Jan 1870, died 23 Oct 1876 of diptheria and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery.