Elijah Branford 1827-1905
Emigrant on the barque Indian, Elijah Branford was just 22 when he arrived in Port Adelaide.
Born in Lakenham, Norfolk, England on the 3 March 1827, the son of Samuel BRANFORD b:abt.1805 and died 14 March 1833 at Swainsthorpe, Norfolk, England. Elijah's mother was Hannah Elizabeth Baxter born 25 December 1807 in Barford, Norfolk, England. Hannah also migrated to Adelaide, South Australia and died on the 7 June 1852 under the name Hannah PALLENT from her second marriage.
Elijah had two syblings also emigrants;
James BRANFORD b:1828 Norfolk. d: 8 December 1888, Little Adelaide, South Australia
Elizabeth BRANFORD b:1831 Norwich, Norfolk, England d:12 March 1915, Mount Gambier, South Australia
Elijah BRANFORD married Susanna LEWIS in Adelaide on the 20 April 1852. Susanna was born in Breconshire, Wales on the 5 February 1834 one of five children on Edward LEWIS and Harriet.
The children of Elija BRANFORD and Susannah, nee LEWIS all born in Kangarilla, South Australia 41 km (25 miles) from Adelaide, were:-
1. WILLIAM BRANFORD 1853 1853
2. EZRA BRANFORD b:24 March 1854 d: xxxx m. Lucy Rose WOODS 1866-xxxx I've found three children born to this couple; DORIS (-) Veda Laurel (1889-1923) OLIVER LESTER (1891-1918
3. JOHN BRANFORD b: 16 March 1856 ?
4. SAMUEL BRANFORD b: 11 March 1859 Kangarilla. d:15 March 1939 at Brighton, South Australia. m. Jane SHEARING 1862-1902 at the Congregational Church, Glenelg on the 24 September 1884. their four children were:-
GRACE EVA (1885-1944) HENRY ERNEST (1887-1954) BERTHA ALICE (1891-1974) ADELINE MAY (1896-1985).
In 1910 Samuel next married Ellen Florence Elliott 1871-1956.
5. JAMES LEWIS BRANFORD b: 14 July 1861 Kangarilla.
6. RUTH ELIZABETH BRANFORD b: 12 July 1863 Kangarilla
7. ELIZA JANE BRANFORD b: 30 August 1865 Kangarilla. m. William TOOP on the 22 October 1884 at the home of the bride's parents, 'Glengrove' Kangarilla
8. SUSAN BRANFORD b: 24 March 1875 died 7 October 1879 Kangarilla, South Australia
9. ELIJAH DAVID BAXTER BRANFORD b: 1 June 1876 Kangarilla. d: 10 September 1946 Tumby Bay,South Australia m. Louisa Jane ?
Elijah David was Licensee of the Mintaro Hotel in 1902 which is now known as The Magpie and Stump hotel. He Joined the A.I.F at age 40, a motor mechanic by trade he joined as a driver on 16 September 1916. ANZAC
THE ADVERTISER, Thursday 12 September 1946
BRANFORD.- On September 11, at Tumby Bay, Elijah (Jack), beloved husband of Louisa Branford. Aged 70 years
Please note: The Port Lincoln Times gave date of death 10 September and the Advertiser and The Chronicle the 11 September. He was buried on the 11th. at the
TUMBY BAY CEMETERY and his headstone gives date of death as the 10th.
Susannah Branford nee Lewis died at 'Glengrove' Kangarilla on the 6 February 1885 of Heart disease.
The South Australian Advertiser. Friday 13 February 1885
BRANFORD.On the 6th February at Glengrove. Kangarilla, after three weeks of extreme pain, caused by heart disease, Susannah, the beloved wife of Elijah Branford, aged 51, leaving a large family to mourn their loss.
Elijah BRANFORD died on the 10 July 1905 at the Adelaide hospital. He was a colonist for over 56 years.
He was buried the next day in the old section of the Clarendon-Kangarilla Cemetery, Plot 244
The image below is Mrs. Bennett in her bonnet, with her two daughters and grandchildren in front of the Post Office, in Kangarilla, South Australia, which was formerly Eyre's Flat Post Office