Elsie May BROWN marries Charles Gordon HARDING in Karori 1929
taken from the EVENING POST 5 January 1929
A choral wedding of much interest to friends, was recently solemnised at St Mary's Church, Karori, by the Rev. G. Y. Woodward, when Elsie May (1906-?), eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs H. G. BROWN (Henry George Brown & Lucy Jane KING), Karori, was married to Charles Gordon (1907-1951), second son of Mr and Mrs W. HARDING (William HARDING & Elizabeth HOPWORTH), of Masterton (late of Dannevirke).
As the bride entered the church appropriate music was played by Mr HAYES, church organist.
The bride wore a charming frock of ivory mariette with pale pink trimmings and an embroidered veil with orange blossoms and pearls. She carried a bouquet of pink and white flowers and maiden-hair fern.
The briesmaids were Misses Linda BROWN and Edna HARDING, who wore dainty frocks of mauve and apricot mariette respectively, with tulle head-dresses and bouquets to tome. They also wore strings of pearls, the gift of the bridegroom.
Little Pauline DEWSTOW (Wanganui), who was flower girl, wore a dainty shell pink frock of georgette, and carried a retty posy of pink flowers, and wore a gold brooch, the gift of the bridegroom
Mr Eric HART, of Dannevirke, was best man, and Mr George HARDING was groomsman.
After the ceremony a reception was held at the Basin Reserve Pavilion. Mrs Brown, who received the guests, wore a smart frock of biege georgette and lace, and a black silk coat, wearng also a fox fur and hat to tome. Her posy was of pink flowers. Mrs Harding, the mother of the bridegroom, wore a navy ensemble suit and hat to match, and carried a posy of mauve floweres.
Mrs KING, (grandmother of the bride, Hannah nee ASHTON who married Thomas KING in 1880), who wore a black coat and hat, was amongst the numerous guests present.
Mr and Mrs Gordon HARDING left by car, the latter travelling in a fawn costume and hat to match, and also wearing the bridgroom's gift, a handsome fox fur
Looking south across houses to the Basin Reserve, Wellington
On the left is St Mark's Church. (wedding venue)
Houses around Rugby Street and Adelaide Road can also be seen. The new buildings of Wellington College are in the top left and evidence of the recently demolished old gothic school is visible on the terraces in front of the main buildings. Taken by an unidentified photographer, circa 1931.
taken from Alexander Turnbull Library