Elsie Norah BLUNDELL + Charles Winforton TRINGHAM
Elsie Norah BLUNDELL (1875-1960) was the 3rd of 12 children of Henry Thomas BLUNDELL & Keren Happuch MARTIN (1850-1928)
Elsie married on 20 December 1899 at St Peter's Church Wellington, to:
Charles Winforton TRINGHAM (1873-1945), the 2nd of 5 sons of Charles TRINGHAM (1841-1916) & Margaret Hunter BENNETT (1845-1927)
- His father Charles Tringham, an Architect was born in Winforton, Herefordshire, England, hence Charles's second name
- also see notes below
from the Evening Post, Volume LVIII, Issue 148, 20 December 1899
- (everything in italics are my additions)
... A choral wedding, with its accompanying graceful and impressive effects, was celebrated at St Peter's Church at half-past 1 o'clock, when Mr Charles W. Tringham, barrister and solicitor, and second son of Mr C. Tringham, of Pigeon Bush, formerly of Oriental Bay, was married to Miss Elsie Norah Blundell, second daughter of the late Mr Henry Blundell, one of the proprietors of the Evening Post.
There was a very large attendance at the church to watch the ceremony, the young couple being well known. The bride had long been a member of the church choir, hence the choral ceremony, the marriage portion of which was performed by the Rev. W. C. Waters, vicar, assisted by Rev. Mr Davis, curate.
The bride wore an exceedingly pretty dress of white brocaded satin, trimmed with silk lace, having transparent sleeves and yoke, and surmounted with the usual veil and orange blossoms. She carried a shower bouquet of spring flowers, presented by the bridegroom.
She was given away by her uncle, Mr John Blundell, and was attended by four bridesmaind, the Misses Mabel, Lydia, and Eileen Blundell, her sisters, and Miss Edie Robertson. All four were dressed in white muslin, trimmed with white satin ribbon, and they wore pictur hats. The two elder bridesmaids wore jewelled necklets, and the two little maids, Eileen and Edie, gold bangles, given them by the bridegroom.
The bride gave her future partner a gold albert, and, as is the custom now-a-days, a present of a pair of gold sleeve-links to the "best man", Mr C. Johnston, who was assisted in his portion of the ceremony by Mr F. S. Tringham (his brother Francis Stanley Tringham)
Mrs H. Blundell, mother of the bride, wore a handsome gown of flowered brocade, trimmed with cream lace, and with bonnet to match; amd Mrs Tringham was dressed in black surah, sprayed with lavender blossoms, also with bonnet to match.
Dr Fyffe, the church organist, superintended the musical portion of the proceedings, at the close of which the "Wedding March" was played, and subsequently a large number of guests were entertained at Te Kiteroa, Mrs Blundell's residence on Clifton-terrace.
Mr and Mrs Tringham left for the north by train during the afternoon, it being their intention to spend their honeymoon at Rotorua.
The many presents received by the bride included a serviceable gift of silver table ware from the members of St Peter's Church choir
* Charles Winforton Tringham was a Barrister and Solicitor in Wellington as taken from NZETC ... Tringham, Charles Winforton, Barrister and Solicitor, Commercial Union Buildings, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residence, Palmer Street.
Auckland, Mr. John Sinclair
New Plymouth, Mr. C. W. Govett
Greytown North, Mr. B. W. Tate
Mr. Tringham, who is a son of Mr. Charles Tringham, the architect, but who is now a sheep-farmer at Pigeon Bush, Wairarapa, was born in Wellington, educated at Wellington College and St. Patrick's College, and studied law while acting as law clerk to Messrs. Kirk and Atkinson, barristers and solicitors, with whom he remained for six years. He was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in March, 1893, and established himself in business in May, 1894. Mr. Tringham is solicitor to the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 Co-operative Building Societies
St Peter's Church, Willis streetm Wellington
- wedding venue of Elsie Blundell & Charles Tringham
taken from Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries