FARISH Street, Wellington - 1840s
the following taken from NZETC was written about 1928
... Farish Street City, is off Manners and Old Customhouse Streets. The Te Aro portion of Captain Mein Smith's panoramic view of Port Nicholson, 1842, taken from the high ground above the R.C. Church in Boulcott Street, and showing the flagstaff and thatched roofs of three raupo houses in Willis Street, gives one a good idea of what Farish Street was like.
The Customs House and Post Office stood at the corner of Old Customhouse Street, opposite the vacant section, facing the Public Library. The site is now (1928) occupied by H. M. HAYWARD's brick building, (lettered H.M.H. 1892 on stone at the corner). The Ship Hotel, Manners Street, and the Southern Cross Hotel may be seen a short distance away. Captain E. DANIELL is credited with having a sawmill at the foot of the street in 1841.
The Burgess Roll, 1843, discloses the address, in Farish Street, of Mr. William FITZHERBERT, whose building, shown in the 1848 earthquake illustrations was badly damaged.
The almanac for 1852 gives the names of John VARNHAM, merchant, and R. WAITT. The latter had an office in the Customs building. His wharf (quoting Baillie's Early Reclamations) : Its present position would be through the vacant section owned, I believe, by Burns, Philp and Co.
Although sometimes referred to as Customhouse wharf, it was privately owned, and frequently changed its ownership and name. A tramway and crane were on the wharf, which extended about two hundred feet from a platform on which were two iron stores. Mr. W. Waring TAYLOR purchased it in 1860 for 800.
Farish Street terminated at Customhouse Street. The almanac for 1863 adds Mr. G. Crawford's name to the business places, and that of 1866 the names of Sidey and Co.
The Customs officers associated with this locality in 1845 were Messrs:
* P. D. Hogg, sub-collector and landing surveyor;
* J. Macarthy, landing waiter, searcher and tide surveyor;
* Renney, clerk and warehouse keeper; and
* Moses Yule, locker.
The moneys received by Mr. Hogg from the 6th of April to 3rd July, 1846, were:
Spirits, 2717 gall., at 5/- 679 9 2
Cigars and Snuffs, 257lbs., at 2/- 25 14 0
Tobacco, manufactured, 3890lbs., at 1/- 194 10 0
Ad valorem duty 321 19 9
1221 12 1 [gap reason: illegible]
The officers in 1848 were Messrs
* P. D. Hogg, collector;
* Captain C. Sharp, acting-harbourmaster;
* A. W. Shand, acting-landing waiter; and
* E. Catchpool, acting-clerk and warehouse keeper.
In 1856 they were: Messrs.
* S. Carkeek, collector;
* E. Catchpool, first landing waiter;
* Captain Sharp, tide surveyor and harbourmaster;
* S. E. Grimstone, collector's clerk and accountant;
* R. E. Bannister, first clerk and warehouse keeper;
* F. Meier, second ditto;
* T. W., third ditto;
* Charles Ward, first locker;
* C. H. Stulfield, second ditto; and
* G. Hawkins, weigher and gauger.
The Wellington Directory for 1866 gives the names as follows: Messrs.
* W. Seed, collector, registrar of shipping and licensing officer under the Arms Act:
* Charles Ward, chief clerk and cashier;
* F. Meier, second clerk and cashier:
* A. Cheeseman, third ditto;
* J. Plimmer (junr.), extra do., do.;
* T. Hill, landing surveying and emigration officer;
* G. Hawkins, first landing waiter;
* E. Ball, second ditto;
* J. Chittey, third ditto;
* P. N. Cole, export and boarding officer;
* W. B. Burgess, first locker;
* W. Bromley, second ditto;
( James Plimmer, third ditto;; and
* David Hogan, messenger.
The postmaster was Mr. J. F. Hoggard. His clerks were: Messrs.
* R. Kirton,
* E. Cooke,
* J. Hoggard, and
* L. Buck.
The messengers were
* A. Phelps and
The Biscuit and Confectionery Company were established in Farish Street in 1875, and R. Hudson and Co. in 1895.
The origin of the name of Farish Street, is shrouded in mystery; though it is said to have originated from a remark passed between the surveyor and a friend who were standing at the corner of Manners Street (Clarendon Hotel) and looking towards the sea, that it was a Fairish Street.
Possibly it was named after a Mr. Farish, whose name was on a fly leaf of a book once owned by Mr. T. L. Buick.