FITCHETT TOWN, Brooklyn, Wellington - 1899
the following from NZETC was written about 1916
... Fitchett Town *Brooklyn, approached by Ohiro Road, and by tram via Brooklyn Road, is named after Mr. A. B. Fitchett, the former owner.
The township of Fitchett comprised the land owned by Messrs. Ashton B. FITCHETT and R. B. TODMAN, who offered for private sale 208 lots of the well known Fitchett's farm, adjoining Brooklyn. A magnificent view of the city and harbour, with Kai-wharawhara and Nga-uranga, and the distant ranges forming the back ground, may be obtained from this locality. The property, comprising lots 16 to 169 of sections 11 and 13, was sub-divided in 1899. The principal roads formed were Mitchell and Todman Streets. These were intersected by Laura, Bruce, Charlotte and Reuben Avenues, Tanera Crescent, Apuka Street, and Sugar Loaf Road. The latter gives access to the Reserve (No. 135) of 1a. 1r. 19p. known as the Sugar Loaf Hill (Brooklyn Soldiers' Memorial). An extension of Fitchett Town was made in 1902, when 37 lots in Section 11 were sold privately by Mr. Fitchett. The main street was called Karepa Street, and Apuka Street was extended. The names given by Mr. Fitchett to the streets, perpetuate family names and those who were employed by him.
* Brooklyn, 3km south of Wellington CBD, takes its name from the borough in New York City, which in turn recalls the Dutch city Breukelen. When a syndicate led by J.F.E. Wright (a Wellington Provincial Councillor between 1861 and 1863 and then for Karori and Makara between 1873 and 1876) subdivided Brooklyn, it named a number of its streets after former US Presidents
a descendant of Ashton B. Fitchett - Ashton FITCHETT (1926-2008) OBE, a Brooklyn GP for 32 years