FOSTER, SHARP AND CROTTY OF TULLAMARINE, VIC., AUST.
EXCERPT FROM "EARLY LANDOWNERS: PARISH OF DOUTTA GALLA.
SHARP’S “HILLSIDE” AND CROTTY’S “BROOMFIELD”.
SECTION 20 and 21.
The north and south boundaries of both are indicated by Sharps Rd. and Spence St. Section 21 was between Barrie Rd. (named after the son of Joe Thomas who died young) and Fosters Rd (Keilor Park Drive). Section 20 runs from Keilor Park Drive to the river. In 1840 the Foster brothers were granted a 10 year squatting lease on a station called Leslie Park and this might be why much land in the Doutta Galla and Tullamarine parishes was not alienated until 1849-50. Both William and John had Leslie as Christian names and John’s friends called him Leslie. William, the older brother, bought section 21 as well as section 3 in the parish of Tullamarine across Sharps Rd. At the same time, in the early 1840’s, John bought section 20. They called their land Springs and the name was confusingly used in 1849 to describe the location of both James Laverty in Keilor Rd. and David O’Nial, who had opened the Lady of the Lake Hotel (near Millar Rd. at Tullamarine) on his property Broombank at the n.e. corner of section 3, Tullamarine.
In 1843, John horsewhipped Dr. McCrae of La Rose on 1-12-1843 because he thought the doctor had hoodwinked him in relation to the Eumemmerring Cattle Station at Dandenong, and the Doc. bolted for Sydney. It seems, despite the “Pastoral Properties of Port Phillip” entry under Foster*, that the Fosters were dissatisfied with McCrae’s former run and stayed only 1839-40, which prompted their move to Tullamarine. (Notice that main streets in Dandenong are named after each of them.) * 1839-45 but only till 1840 under Station entry.
A fine stone house was built on section 21 and John must have lived there after William inherited and returned home, as it became known as the Governor’s house according to Joe Crotty. John Foster was later colonial secretary and as well as drafting Victoria’s constitution with his cousin, William Stawell, he served as Governor between La Trobe and Hotham.
In December 1844, one of John Foster’s native servants, Booby, was murdered by another aborigine named John Bull while driving a dray back to Springs from Melbourne. Another servant, Maurice Fitzgerald, who was driving a dray behind Booby, was a prime witness.
In 1860, Maurice Crotty, who married a McCormack* lass from Annandale, on the other side of Fosters Rd., started leasing “The Springs”. Charles Kavanagh was the occupant of The Springs before Crotty moved in. Seven years later, Mrs. Crotty reported that someone had bought part of their farm. That was James Sharp who was probably raised on Craigllachie south of Glenloeman. Tullamarine Park Rd. was close to the boundary between Sharp’s Hillside and the portion that Maurice bought in 1868 and called Broomfield. The original Broomfield homestead was across Tullamarine Park Rd. from Allied Drive and their 1890 house was on the site of Honda’s riding school.
(*A McCormack/ Crotty/Delahey/ O’Neil family reunion was held in February 2000. The contact number of 9 739 7182 may help relatives who missed this function to make amends.)
Butcher Thomas bought Hillside in about 1940 and renamed it as Carinya Park. Sharp’s homestead was extended by Joe Thomas. Sadly, Carinya Park’s homestead was bulldozed in 1998 by Vaughan Constructions; the gate pillars made using stone from James Sharp’s original kitchen will hopefully remain.
In 1847, William O’Neil, who later received the grant for 9B with Davies and Robinson and bought Horseshoe Bend Park, was obviously leasing section 20 from John Foster. He was on “Lesley Bank, Springs, Mt Macedon Rd” according to the directory. Lesley should be Leslie but the inclusion of bank in the farm’s name would suggest a river (which forms the west boundary of section 20) rather than the small creek running through section 21. As mentioned elsewhere, all three roads heading north (Pascoe Vale, Bulla, Keilor Rds) were called Mt Macedon Rd at various stages, but this time it meant Keilor Rd. “Leslie Banks” may have included part of section 19 later owned by James Harrick (who was married at Williamstown in 1861 and obviously not yet in Keilor), thus extending to the road.
The Delaheys owned section 20 by 1868 and until at least 1900. Early this century, Thomas Nash, who had been leasing Hillside, bought land south of the bend in Fosters Rd, 150/1 acres straddling the section 20/21 boundary which Edward Cahill had been farming in 1868. Later he added 188 acres north of the present Botanical Gardens. The Wards and then the Williamsons farmed where Keilor Park clubs now play footy and tennis. In about 1943 Claude Butler established the Moonya Dairy Farm on the former Nash land. In 1940, James White found the famous “Keilor Skull” while digging a sand pit at the junction of Dry (Arundel) Creek and the river. This spot (Melway 14,K/2) is at the north- western corner of both the parish and section 20.
Titles information on sections 21 and 20.
Maurice Crotty bought the north western portion of section 21, roughly bounded by Tullamarine Park Rd and consisting of 243 ½ acres, for 913 ½ pounds on 8-6-1868. The Crotty dairy farm, Broomfield, was a feature of the area for a century. The original house was opposite Allied Dr and the 1890’s house near the motor cycle school. Incidentally, in 1867, both Sharps Rd and Broadmeadows Rd were known as Foster’s Lane (Vol. 175 folio 509).
Section 20, between Fosters Rd (Keilor Park Drive) and the river, was leased to James Henry Smith for 5 years on 23-6-1857, the lease probably being extended for a further 5 years. On 7-9-1868 Henry and James Delahey bought 692 acres (all but the s/w corner) from Foster/Fitzgerald for 2641 pounds. This farm had been known as "Leslie Banks".
In the land boom of the late 1880’s a railway line was proposed, along the east side of the Saltwater River, to Keilor.
This led to subdivisions at the end of Braybrook Rd (renamed as Buckley St) where Ramsay built Clydebank on the
south side and the Rose Hill and Buckley Park estates were placed on sale along Hoffmans Rd.
The Essendon Land, Tramway and Investment Co., which may have been involved in the aforesaid subdivisions,
was certainly expecting to reap quick profits along Fosters Rd. On 4-5-1889 the company signed contracts to buy the Delaheys’ 692 acres (whose s/e boundary was the diagonal part of Fosters Rd) for L46 318/3/10 and Maurice Crotty’s 243 acres at the n/w portion of section 21(for L10581/4/9), while Thomas Nash contracted to buy 150 acres in section 21 from the company for L 5536/12/7. (This 150 acres fronting the east side of Fosters Rd south of the bend, and therefore including about 20 acres of section 20, had been leased by Edward Cahill for 5 years from 1-4-1866).
The rescissions of the first and third contracts were memorialised on 20-8-1890 and 1-8-1890.
On 4-5-1889 and 18-7-1889 other contracts cancelled revealed that the Doutta Galla Estate Co Ltd, Evan Roberts and
James Evans (estate agents), and the Ascot Vale Land Co. Ltd. had also been involved in the web of deals concerning the Delahey, Crotty and Nash land.
(356 808, 364 378, 376 110, 356 809, 356 810, 364 900, and V.356 folios 805, 806, 807.)
No memorial of the Crotty contract has been found but it’s a fair bet that the new Broomfield homestead near the Honda Riding School site was paid for with the speculators’ money.
Joe Crotty told me that dairy farming on Broomfield was hard work for little financial gain and this claim is backed up by these James Crotty memorials, which almost certainly relate to mortgages:
388 493, 392 697, 400 361, 429 829, 435 769, 473 742, 491 469, 501 688 (14-9-1922), 516 713 (13-11-1925).
On 5-2-1868, James Sharp paid J.F.L.Foster (by then called John Foster Vesey Fitzgerald) L682/10/- for 133 acres 1 rood 10 perches. This had a Sharps Rd frontage from opposite Broadmeadows Rd to 1/3 of the way between Allied Drive and Tullamarine Park Rd. Its s/e corner was near the North/ Thomas St corner and its s/w corner was 160 m west of the start of the off ramp to Airport Dr.(176 786).
Thomas St probably gets its name from the Thomas family, which took over Sharp’s Hillside in about 1940 and called it Carinya Park. Barrie St is named after Joe Thomas’s son who died young.
James Sharp enlarged Hillside by buying 22A, of 87 acres 1 rood 28 perches, for L1114/15/4 on 10-7-1877 (267 607).
By 1893-4, Sharp had acquired 303 acres and was leasing 294 acres to Thomas Nash while he remained in the homestead on 8 acres.
HISTORY OF THE KEILOR PARK FOOTBALL OVALS.
I have been contacted by Brenda Lee, who has asked me for details of the land on which the club’s ovals are located; the following may supplement her story of how the club was formed. This information comes from Titles Office documents, Keilor Council rates, directories and oral history (Gordon Connor and Colin Williams from the pre W.W.1 days and Joe Crotty and Noel and Joe Butler regarding later times.)
The land between Sharps Rd, the lines of Barrie Rd and Spence St, and the river was granted to William Vesey Leslie Foster and his younger brother John Fitzgerald Leslie Foster on 15-10-1842. This land would have been part of Leslie Park, on which the brothers received a 10 year lease in 1840. William’s 640 acres, section 21 of the parish of Doutta Galla, was east of Foster’s Rd and John’s section 20 of 712 acres was west of it.
William sold his 640 acres to John on 31-3-1843 and returned home to claim his inheritance.
In 1847 William O’Neil, who later purchased Horseshoe Bend Farm, was leasing “Lesley Bank, Springs, Mt Macedon Rd”, which was probably section 20, on which the clubs ovals now stand. On 23-6-1857, section 20 was leased to James Henry Smith for 5 years and it is likely that he occupied it for another five years.
On 7-9-1868, 692 acres of section 20 was bought by Henry and James Delahey for 2641 pounds. The vendor, John Foster Vesey Fitzgerald, was none other than John Foster, who had changed his name and returned home to inherit from his late brother. This was all of section 20 apart from the area including the courts running east off Fosters Rd and the western end of Ranwick Drive; the northern part of Keilor Park Drive indicates the boundary between sections 21 and 20. The Delaheys owned the land for many decades. A contract of 4-5-1889 to sell the land to the Essendon Land, Tramway and Investment Co. for 46 318 pounds was rescinded on 20-8-1890; the land boom and the prospect of a railway line to Bulla had ended abruptly. The Delahey family, and their relatives, the Dodds, also owned most of the land between Milleara Rd and the river. James Harrick was leasing the 692 acres from the Delaheys in 1900-1.
on 2012-02-02 20:23:55
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.