George Henry Cox 1824 - 1901 :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

George Henry Cox 1824 - 1901

Journal by janilye

The Hon. G. H. Cox.
This is his Obituary as published in the Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW)
Monday 2 December 1901 p 2
Death on Thursday Evening. A Remarkable Man. Particulars of his Career.
The death of the Hon. George
Henry Cox, which occurred at Bur-
rundulla house on Friday evening
last, not only removes from Mudgee
its foremost citizen, but removes from
the life of the Mother State of the
Commonwealth, its senior legislator.
The deceased was born on the 18th of
October, 1824, and was therefore in
his 78th year. He was the grandson of
William Cox, the first of the family to
come to New South Wales, who in the
days of Governor Macquarie, cut the
road across the Blue Mountains, fol-
lowing the tracks of Wentworth, Blax-
land and Lawson. The Hon. George
Henry Cox was the eldest of the
family of seven. His surviving
brothers are Mr. J. D. Cox. of
Cullenbone, and Mr. Albert T.
Cox, of Broombee. The brothers
who predeceased him were Archie
Cox, of Menah, Charles Claren-
don Cox, of Broombee, the founder of
the famous flock, Alexander H. Cox,
of Oakfield, and Frederick S. Cox, of
Wallinga. The deceased's eldest sur-
viving sister is Mrs. Stephen, widow
of the late Canon Stephen, eldest son
of the late Sir Alfred Stephen, at one
time Chief Justice and Lieutenant
Governor of New South Wales.
Another sister is Mrs. White, who is
married to Archdeacon White, of
Armidale, brother of the late Hon.
James White, and Mr. H. C. White,
of Havilah. Mrs. John Cox, of Negoa,
and Mrs. Borton, also sisters of Mr.
Cox, predeceased him. Mr. Frank
Cox, J.P., of Menah, Mr. R. W.
Cox, of Bristowe, and Dr. James
Cox, of Sydney, and Mr. Viv. Cox,
are cousins of the deceased.
George Henry Cox was educated
at the Kings School, Parramatta.
that historic educational institution,
from the class rooms of which so
many of Australia's most worthy citi-
zens have come.
Immediately on leaving school he
embarked in pastoral pursuits, with
which he was associated during his
long life. In early years he owned or
part owned many very important
properties, including Garrawilla,
Nomby and Thargomindah. In him the
pastoral industry always had a warm
and able champion, for he realised so
fully, the debt Australia owed to
those men, who in the teeth of tre-
mendous difficulties fought the battle
on the frontiers of settlement. Mr.
Cox at one time took up a lot of
country in Queensland, having for his
partner, Mr. V. J. Dowling of Lue.
Pine Ridge was at one time the
property of deceased, and was pur-
chased by Mr. Buckland two years ago.
Mr. Cox was a firm believer in the
Australian type of the merino, and
throughout his life, spared no pains or
expense to keep pure and improve the
famous flock, which his family founded
with importations from the King of
Saxony's stud. Mr. Cox was winner of
numerous prizes at all the great inter-
national shows, and in 1861 won Mr.
Thomas Mort's'gold medal for greasy
wool, while at the Paris exhibition in
1878 his exhibit received the honor of
being awarded the gold medal for the
best wool in the world. One of the
last communications we received from
the honorable gentleman, was only a
few weeks ago, when he wired us from
Sydney stating that the wool from his
Menah flock had been sold up to 12½d
per lb, which stands as an easy record
for the year. It was characteristic of the
deceased that his energies were never
confined merely to the furtherance of
his own interests, and every move-
ment which had for its object the ad-
vance of the wool raising industry in
Australia had his hearty moral and
financial support, and for many years
and up to the time of his death, he
was the president of the New South
Wales Sheep Breeders' Association.
In 1853 Mr. Cox married his cousin
Henrietta, daughter of the late Henry
Cox, of Broombee. The issue of the
marriage number twelve. The eldest
son, Mr. George Henry Frederick
Cox, is now fighting at the front in
South Africa, this being his second
period of service in the Imperial Bush-
men. The second son, Mr. Herbert
A. Cox, formerly of Burrundulla, died
ten years ago, and the third son,
Reginald Cox, died about two years
ago, while on his road to South Africa
as a trooper of the 1st Australian
Horse. The sad circumstances of that
death are fresh in the minds of Mud-
gee people, whose sympathy with the
soldier's grief-stricken and aged father
was expressed, when the body was
interred with full military honors.
The two surviving sons are Mr. Allan
M. Cox and Mr. Vincent D. Cox, who
of recent years have worked a portion
of their father's Burrundulla estate.
The deceased's eldest daughter, who
died about three years ago, was mar-
ried to Mr. George Stewart, of Binna-
wee, and the second daughter is the
wife of Mr. M. R. Lowe, of Tingha,
Mudgee. The only other married
daughter is Mrs. McConochie, wife of
the Rev. W. G. McConochie, of Mel-
bourne. Three unmarried daughters,
Miss Lucy Cox, Miss May Cox, and
Miss Florrie Cox, survive their father,
who was predeceased by his other
daughter, Miss Maud Cox.
At the age of 32 Mr. Cox entered
the political arena, being elected in
1856 member for Wellington in the
Legislative Assembly under the Con-
stitution Act. During the first Par-
liament, Mr. Cox secured so well
the favor of his constituents, that
when he sought re-election he was re-
turned unopposed, but on a sub-
sequent election in 1863 he was de-
feated, and was appointed to the
Legislative Council, Mr. Charles
Cooper being Premier. At the time
of his death the Honorable George
Henry Cox was the sole surviving
member of the first representative
Parliament of Australia. Through the
long period in which he was a mem-
ber of the Council, he was a zealous
custodian of its privileges, and,
fully realized the high responsibilities
of the position. He was never at any
time a strong party man, but was a
consistent freetrader. One of the
first votes he gave was in favor of the
abolition of the law of entail, and he
was a strong supporter of the system
of State Education, being a member
of the Public School League. He
also voted for the discontinuance of
state aid to religion. Up to a few
weeks before his death the deceased
was a regular attendant in his place
in the Council, his rising always being
the signal for that respectful attention
which is accorded to men who never
speak unless they have something to say
worth listening to. The last speech de-
ceased delivered in the Council, was on
Friday, 24th Octobor, just five weeks
prior to his decease. The subject was
the proposed erection by the State of
some suitable monument to honor the
memory of Sir Joseph Banks, who
played a very important, but little
acknowledged part in the foundation
of the first settlement in Australia.
The subject was one peculiarly suited
to the honorable gentleman, who was
a master of Australian history, and
who held that honor should be done
to those to whom honor is due. Even
as the venerable legislator addressed
the House, of which he was the
oldest member, he knew that the irresis-
tible coming of the Angel of Death
would not be much longer delayed, for in
forwarding a proof of his speech to us
asking for its publication in the
"Guardian," he wrote, "It is the
last speech I shall deliver in the
council or elsewhere." The sharp,
clear writing betrayed no sign of
physical weakness, but the words were
true, and the implied prophesy ful-
filled all too soon. At the first elec-
tion for the Federal Parliament held
last March, the Hon. George Henry
Cox was a candidate for the Senate,
but failed to secure a seat. Local
affairs occupied a large portion of Mr.
Cox's time, and he was the first Mayor
of the municipality of Cudgegong,
established in 1868. The Agricultural
Society also was greatly indebted to the
honorable gentleman who was its presi-
dent for many years. For upwards of
40 years Mr. Cox was a trustee
of St. John the Baptist's Church,
Mudgee, to the funds of which he was
ever a liberal donor. A warm ad-
herent of the church of England, he
was a member of the Diocesan Coun-
cils of Bathurst and Sydney, and took
a leading part in the last sitting of the
synod of the first named diocese.
His last active work in this capacity
was as a member of the synodal com-.
mittee appointed in connection with
the All Saints difficulty. The Sydney
Meat Preserving Company always
had a very warm champion in Mr.
Cox, who was one of the directors, and
who was also a director for some years
of the Pastoral Finance Association.
Of late Mr. Cox had given a great
deal of time and energy to the affairs
of the Farmers and Settlers Associa-
tion, and was a prominent figure at
the conference of that body.
To write a personal appreciation of
the life and character of the subject of
this memoir one ought to have known
him intimately. It would, of course,
be mere deceit to say we agreed with
all his public acts and endorsed all his
opinions. We do, however, fully
recognise his honesty of purpose and
his keen appreciation of the great re-
sponsibilities of his position. He was
a man whose word was his bond, and
who was best appreciated by those who
knew him most intimately. His
numerous tenant farmers on the Bur-
rundulla estate unanimously speak of
him as being a good landlord in every
sense of the term. In many respects
his was a strange character, for while
on some quotations he adopted an atti-
tude of unbending conservatism, on
others he was a liberal, even to the
point of radicalism. This was well
illustrated by his struggle to bring
about co-operation among the farmers.
He believed in the principle, believed
in it with the absolute faith, with
which he believed in the teachings of
his church. He was the enemy of
commercialism. If he had had his
way he would have burst up the
Sussex-street commission agents, and
would have stopped all the profit going
into the storekeepers' pockets. He
went from end to end of the State
proclaiming the gospel of co-operation,
and while he could not be spared to
see the full results of his un-
selfish labors, it was doubtless a
consolation to him to know that the
success of the movement so far has
been most encouraging. He died
among his own people, in his beaufi-
ful home, amid the splendid sur-
roundings of the family estate. He
died respected and honored by the
public, aud affectionately esteemed
by those who knew him intimately.
To his family we offer our sincere
sympathy in an irreparable loss, the
the burden of which we hope will be
lightened by the memory of his splen-
did life, and the fact that he was per-
fectly resigned to the end, which
came with the close of last Thursday.
The burial took place on Saturday
afternoon, his Lordship Dr. Camdge,
Bishop of Bathurst, arriving in Mud-
gee by the mail train. The
remains left Burrundulla House at
2.30 p.m., there being an immense
attendance, among whom we noticed :
Messrs. Allan M. Cox, Vincent Cox,
F. Cox, J.P. (Menah), R. W.
Cox, J.P. (Bristowe), A. I. Cox (Oak-
field), E. D. Cox (Gunnagawah), O. D.
Cox (Wallinga), F. D. Cox, Norman
Cox, Bartle F. Cox, G. Stewart, R.
Rouse (Biraganbil), R. Rouse (Gunta-
wang), G. Cadell, C. D. Meares,
Edward Clarke, C. Barker ("A.M.P."),
Arthur Lowe (Wilbetree), A. F. Came-
ron (Mayor of Mudgee), C. J. Crocker,
Alderman H. Hall, James Loneragan,
E. Loneragan, II. A. Lowe, J. W.
Dnesbury, W. W. Millett, J. M. Cox,
C. H. Tuckerman, A. S. Tuckerman,
Harold Hardwick, A.I.A., T. H. Wil-
kinson, P.M., M. R. Lowe, W. Smith
(Carleon), B. Stacy (Commercial Bank),
C. J. Baker (Bank N.S.W.), —
Heath (A.J.S. Bank), G. Davidson,
W. Latimer, J.P., G. Rouse, W. H.
Green, Thomas Randell, J.P. Mr.
J. D. Cox and Mr. A. T. Cox,
brothers of the deceased were not pre-
sent, having been called away to the
bed side of their sister Mrs. Stephen,
who lay sick unto death at Katoomba.
On the cortege reaching St. John's
Church, the remains were received by
the Bishop of the Diocese, Archdeacon
Campbell, and the Rev. E. P. Lowe.
The coffin was borne into the church
by Messrs. J. Tarrant, A. Brown, W.
Mursh, jun., J. Mason. The service
was choral, Mr. F. Knight presid-
ing at the organ. The pulpit was
draped with black and white. After
the reading of the special lesson,
the Bishop entered the pulpit and re-
ferred to the very solemn and sorrow-
ful occasion which had gathered them
together. He could hardly realise
that it was only a month ago that his
dear form was present in that church.
He was weak and ill at the time, but
so great was his love and affection for
the church that he was determined to
come in spite of their efforts to per-
suade him otherwise, and he (the
preacher) would never forget the rapt
attention with which he followed the
service. The passing away of such a
one was a distinct loss to the whole
community, and they had only to
think of the deep interest he took in
public affairs to realise the loss to the
country. His hearers were people of
the town to whom the deceased had
endeared himself by many acts of
kindness. The Church of England
would feel his loss deeply, for there
was no layman more willing to sacri-
fice himself. He would never forget
how he raised himself from a bed of
sickness to help to bring to an end
a difficulty they all regretted. He was
always ready to help in the councils
of the churchmen, and in fact he felt
he mourned the loss of one who was
emphatically the right hand of the
Bishop. He had known him for 14
years, and from him he had always
received the greatest kindness. Those
who were near and dear to him had
suffered a terrible loss, but could take
consolation in the knowledge that his
belief in Christ was the guiding fea-
ture of his life. He was not dead,
only just the body lay in the church,
for in reality he lived as he had never
lived before, for he had passed from
a world of shadow and darkness into
the presence of the Eternal King, and
so while they felt great grief yet their
sorrow was not without hope. The
hymn, "Thy Will be Done," which
was one of the favorite hymns
of the deceased was then sung,
and as the body was carried from
the church the solemn tones of the
"Dead March" pealed from the
organ. It was an unpleasant after-
noon, a heavy wind-driven storm fall-
ing, as the long line of vehicles trailed
across Bombira Hill. The cermony
at the grave was brief, and standing
bareheaded in the scudding rain, the
people of Mudgee silently offered their
respectful tribute to the remains of a
remarkable man.
At both services at St. John the
Baptist's Church on Sunday, his Lord-
ship made special and eloquent refe-
rences to the worth of the deceased.

Surnames: COX
Viewed: 356 times
by janilye Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2018-06-18 19:12:19

janilye - 7th generation, Convict stock. Born in New South Wales now living in Victoria, carrying, with pride 'The Birthstain'.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.