<< Previous - Next >>

George Hudson DAVIES - DONGARA & CARNAMAH West Australia

Journal by ngairedith

GEORGE HUDSON DAVIES

Born 1899 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England

Son of John Hudson DAVIES and Martha Louisa Jane PARRY

In 1901 was living with his parents and two brothers Frank and Denis at Bicton Heath in Bicton, Shropshire, England

Departed London, England with his parents and brother Frank on the Otway on 25 May 1911 for Fremantle, Western Australia

His brother Denis had died at the age of three in 1904, and his elder brother Frank was Killed in Action in Gallipoli in 1915

Resided with his parents in Perth 1912-1913, the Perth suburb of Maylands 1914-1915, and in Mogumber 1916-1922

Donated 2/- to the appeal for William B. HAMMOND and family of Wannamal who lost their house in a fire in 1919

Hotel Assistant in Mogumber in 1921

Motor Expert and Hotel Assistant in Dongara 1922-1924

Resided with his parents at the Dongara Hotel and Refreshment Rooms "The Hotel" in Dongara 1922-1924

Resided at "Hotel Carnamah" at 22 Macpherson Street in Carnamah in 1924-1928

His mother, in partnership with Robert MACKIE and Mrs Lillian E. MCNAMARA, had the hotel built in 1923

Initially his mother was the proprietress and one of the joint freehold owners of "Hotel Carnamah"

Licensee of "Hotel Carnamah" at 22 Macpherson Street in Carnamah in 1926 and 1927 [4:7-Aug-1926]

During his time as licensee the hotel was claimed to be the "Most Modern Hospital in the Country"

In 1927 the hotel boasted hot and cold water baths as well as an up-to-date lock-up motor garage

Manager of the hotel while he was licensee was "Harry" Henry E. MCNAMARA

Robert MACKIE sold out his share in the hotel to his mother and Mrs Lillian E. MCNAMARA in 1927

Following his mother's death later in 1927 he is said to have inherited her interest in the hotel

Himself and the MCNAMARA family traded as the "Carnamah Hotel Company"
They conducted the "Publican's Booth" at the Carnamah District Agricultural Society's Annual Show in 1927

They donated a ten gallon keg of ale to the Carnamah R.S.L. for their January 1928 smoke social

The hotel was lighted by an on-site Delco electric light plant

In August 1925 successfully applied with the Land Board to take up the 998 acre Victoria Location 3775 in Winchester

In 1926 and 1927 was listed in Legislative Council electoral rolls as a Farmer and the freehold owner of Victoria Location 3775

His 998 acre block along with the 1,140 acre Victoria Location 6828 constituted Lakeside Farm in Winchester
The ownership of the property appears to have been tied up with the MCNAMARA family who he owned the hotel with

At this time 150 acres of the farm were cleared and it contained a small four-roomed house with a front verandah

The only fence on the property was one that went through the middle of it to help keep out wild horses

It was reported in 1928 that the farm previously owned by the Carnamah Hotel Company had been sold

The farm ended up being forfeited, so the sale may not have proceeded, and the Land Board offered it for re-selection

In February 1929 their former Lakeside Farm in Winchester was taken up by James ARMSTRONG of Winchester

Foundation Committee Member of the Carnamah Rifle Club in 1925

Vice President of the Picnic Race Meeting held in Three Springs on Saint Patrick's Day Tuesday 17 March 1925

In July 1925 donated a trophy to the recently formed Carnamah Rifle Club for the first shoot

Helped collect donations for the improvement of the road over the sandplain between Carnamah and Watheroo in 1925

In April 1925 wrote to the Carnamah District Road Board requesting their assistance in improving the sandplain road

The Road Board were unable to assist as their priorities were taken up with improving roads over which farmers delivered wheat

Member of the Carnamah Race Club - was Vice President in 1927

On behalf of the Carnamah Hotel Company he put Hotel Carnamah up for sale with a Perth hotel and business broker

In late December 1927 the hotel was withdrawn from sale as it had been sold to Charles J. L. BREWER for 20,000

At the time the sale price was record-breaking for a country hotel, although Carnamah was "a very prosperous district" [

The price was reputedly justified as shred financiers saw "hotels in wheat centres as very sound investments"

An application to transfer the hotel license from his name to Charles J. L. BREWER was made on 20 January 1928

The freehold and license of the hotel probably changed over when BREWER arrived in Carnamah in February 1928

Married Mary Gwenllian PRICE in Perth in 1928

Licensee and Owner of the Dumbleyung Hotel in Dumbleyung for twelve months over 1928 and 1929

He purchased the freehold of the Dumbleyung Hotel in Dumbleyung from Mrs TUNNEY of Perth in August 1928

The Dumbleyung Hotel was a large two-storey stone building

Conducted the hotel until selling it for between 18,000 and 19,000 to Mrs S. MISKAVIZY in July 1929

The hotel may have returned to him as in 1933 "G. H. Davies" was listed as having the Dumbleyung Hotel

Resided at 36 Prowse Avenue in the Perth suburb of Nedlands and worked as a Dealer [50] 1930-1932

Along with his wife and Richard S. SAMPSON visited Carnamah during the second week of September 1932
]
In October 1932 sold a shop and land belonging to him at 13 Macpherson Street in Carnamah

The shop had been occupied by Carnamah newsagent and hairdresser Frank BADRICK 1927-1932

Sold the shop and land, which was a portion of Lot 69 of Victoria Location 1936, to Richard S. SAMPSON

Its new owner altered and added to the shop to accommodate The Carnamah-Three Springs Times newspaper

Visited Moora and then Carnamah on 14 November 1932

Resided at 36 Dalkeith Road in the Perth suburb of Nedlands 1932-1936

In December 1932 he purchased a Buick car with registration 24094 from a J. G. ARMSTRONG

Visited Carnamah during the second week of January 1933, travelling in his new Buick sedan car

In December 1933 he had two blocks of land for sale on the corner of Tyrell Street and Stirling Highway in Nedlands

At a cost of 900 he had a five-roomed house built on Stanley Street in the Perth suburb of Nedlands in 1935

Licensee of the Woodley Distilleries at Manford's Buildings on Bazaar Terrace in Perth in 1937

Pending licensing approval he applied to transfer to the license for the distillery to Herbert K. HASLETT in August 1937

Resided at 19 Rene Road then in the Perth suburb of Nedlands and now in the Perth suburb of Dalkeith 1939-1949

In 1941 he was working as a Business Manager on Beaufort Street in Perth

He was working as a Manager and living at 12 Ellen Street in the Perth suburb of Subiaco in 1949

In 1954 he was working as a Manager and living at 15 Colin Street in the Perth suburb of West Perth

Resided of late in West Perth

Died 21 April 1955; ashes scattered over the rose garden at the Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth WA

by ngairedith Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-08-02 11:39:11

PECK of TAITA

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

by ngairedith on 2011-08-07 00:40:40

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.