<< Previous - Next >>

GHUZNEE Street, Te Aro Wellington - 1840

Journal by ngairedith

this article from NZETC was written about 1926

... Ghuznee Street, Te Aro, extends from The Terrace to Taranaki Street, and is approached from Willis and Cuba Streets by tram.

Named in 1840 in memory of the storming and fall of Fort Ghuznee, an Afghan stronghold, by the British in 1839.

* St. Peter's School was conducted by Mr. W. H. Holmes in 1854, and in 1863 the names appearing in the Almanac for that year comprised the following:

On the north side were Messrs -
* J. Sedcole,
* Mrs. Askin,
* P. Branigan,
* W. Corner, and
* Carter's brick yard (Willis Street intersects).
* St. Peter's Church and School,
* A. E. Burden,
* S. Furness,
* S. S. Jacka,
* J. Inglis,
* E. N. Baker (Maori interpreter),
* J. Pattinson,
* Mrs. Ferras,
* Mrs. Murphy,
* J. Phillips,
* W. Payne,
* Valentine's Foresters' Arms Hotel.
* Mrs. Leek;

on the south side were
* Major Bell,
* T. W. McKenzie,
* Mrs. Rudman,
* Mrs. Dougherty,
* R. Weatherhead,
* J. and D. Wilson,
* J. Muir,
* T. J. Mountain,
* Messana.
* J. Linklater,
* J. Martin,
* H. Douglas,
* McLean, boat builder, and
* J. Davis.

The public places are:
* St. Peter's Church (Sec. 169) and
* Te Aro P. and T. Office (Sec. 181).

by ngairedith Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-07-11 07:56:31

PECK of TAITA

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.