GOLDERS HILL, Thorndon, Wellington - 1866
the following from NZETC was written aout 1926
... Golders Hill, off Hill Street, Thorndon.
This hill, with Dr. Evans' residence on it, is shown on the extreme left of the panoramic map of Wellington appearing in Brees' Pictorial New Zealand, 1847.
In its origin the name emanated from Dr. EVANS, who named it after his old English home, Golders Hill, Hampstead. Dr. Evans occupied the house in 1840 and until his departure for London.
* Mr. J. COUTTS Crawford then tenanted it until 1852.
A reference to Golders Hill appears in the Independent of the 21st January, 1857, viz.: To Be Let, immediately, Golders Hill that house and ground on Golders Hill, lately occupied by Mr. Justice STEPHEN, with stable attached. For terms apply, R. R. Strang.
When Dr. Evans returned to Wellington in 1864 he again lived on Golders Hill until his death (September 23, 1868). Major Chas. HEAPHY, V.C., then occupied the house, and a later occupant was
* Henry BUNNY Esq., M.H.R. for Wairarapa.
The house, which stood about where Dr. MORICE's garden is laid out, was demolished many years ago.
Other residents about 1866 were Messrs.
* W. W. Martin,
* J. Wright,
* C. Duncan and
* Mrs. H. Lewis.
* Sir Frederick R. Chapman now (1929) resides near the site of Dr. Evans' house on Golders Hill.