GOLDFINCH - but not the lacemakers
Looking for contact with anyone descended from Henry GOLDFINCH born 25 Sep 1820 Deptford, ENG and baptised 29 Oct 1820 also at Deptford, son of John & Sarah Goldfinch.
This family ARE NOT related to the many GOLDFINCH families who came to South Australia from Calais and the Channell Islands who were lace makers. This is an entirely different family of GOLDFINCH.
Henry was born in Deptford and bapatised there. He arrived in South Australia aboard the ship Recovery on 19 Sept 1839 from Plymouth. I believe he was travelling alone.
On 4 Dec 1845 he married Jane HILLMAN sister of John & Leonard Hillman who were farmers of Nairne and surrounding areas. Jane was born in 1816 at Launceston, CON and arrived in SA aboard Katherine Stewart Forbes with her brothers in 1837.
After the marriage Henry & Jane GOLDFINCH moved to a property near Milang, where they lived out their lives and raise their 7 children. Jane died at Strathalbyn on 13 Feb 1895 and Henry died on 22 Jul 1911 at Milang. Both are buried at Milang.
Their children were:-
1) Margaret Olive GOLDFINCH b. 14 Sep 1846 Mt Barker, SA; m. 23 Apr 1870 Milang to Jabez WILLIAMS . They had 4 children, with the birth of the youngest taking Margaret's life. Jabez then married again in 1878 to Olive Brady and had another nine children. The first four children were raised with these.
2) Elizabeth Mary Ann GOLDFINCH b. 22 Nov 1848 Mt Barker, SA; m. 7 May 1878 Milang, SA to Alfred Alexander PARNELL. Like her sister, Elizabeth died from complications of childbirth. They had 6 children between 1878 and 1891, and Elizabeth died within a few days of the birth of the youngest in 1891. Aldred remarried to Agnes Haddow Findlater only a couple of years after Elizabeth died (I don't know of any children to the second marriage).
3) Henry GOLDFINCH b. 20 Feb 1850 Strathalbyn, SA; m. 22 Nov 1872 Milang, SA to Margaret COAD. They had two children - Elizathe Jennett 1873-1936 and Henry 1879-1967.
4) Jane GOLDFINCH b. 18 Feb 1852 Strathalbyn, SA; m. 15 Apr 1880 Milang, SA to Arthur Inkster MURRAY. They had 7 children between 1880 and 1891 but only two or three lived to adulthood.
5) Leonard GOLDFINCH b. 3 Dec 1853 Strathalbyn, SA; m. 2 May 1899 Goolwas, SA to Mary Bourne and had 3 children between 1900 and 1906.
6) Frederic GOLDFINCH b. 20 Feb 1856 Strathalbyn. I have not yet established any further details of this man's life.
7) Thomas GOLDFINCH b. 5 Dec 1858 Strathalbyn, SA; m. 27 Aug 1893 to Johanna Agnes LALOR and had 4 children. Thomas died in Jun 1941 at Magill and his wife shortly thereafter.