<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by johnkb


My Gunn ancestors came from Caithness Scotland, dating back to Charles Gunn and Margaret Cormack in early 1700's. Later generations lived around Bilbster, Watten & Stemster areas. My great x 2 grandparents, Alexander Gunn born 1811 and Barbara Nicolson born 1816 both came from Stemster. They married in 1838 and emigrated to Tasmnaia Australia, arriving in 1839. They lived in Launceston and had 11 children, one daugher Mary Ann, is my great grandmother born 1849. She married William Craw in 1869.

Looking to find anyone researching Gunn and Craw families. The Craw family came from Edinburgh.



Viewed: 2335 times
by johnkb Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2009-10-08 01:11:29

johnkb , from Melbourne Australia, has been a Family Tree Circles member since Oct 2009. is researching the following names: HALLAM, BIRD, CRAW and 12 other(s).

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by roxywaffle on 2011-05-17 00:20:42

Hi John
I have been researching the Keith family of Latheron Wheel, Caithness. Ann keith (b abt 1844) married a Gunn, there were at least 3 children (I think) - Georgina, Ann and Donald - any link to your tree?

by johnkb on 2011-05-17 04:33:18

Hi Rachel.

Thanks for your message. My Gunn/Keith relationship is through Donald Gunn bn 31/7/721 at Haster Parish of Wick and Margaret Keith bn 6/4/1729 at Bilpster Parrish of Watten. I do not have any Ann or Georgina Gunn's in my family tree. Margaret's parents were John Keith and Mary Malcolme. If I come across any likely links I will let you know.



by BrendaW on 2014-07-15 06:58:35

My great grandmother was a Sarah Gunn & she came from Tasmania, she married William Buck & they somehow ended up in Tower Hill Victoria, near Warrnambool. Maybe a link?

by janilye on 2014-07-15 23:06:48

The Obituary of John Gunn who died on the 6 March 1897, transcribed from a copy of the Launceston Examiner dated 17 March 1897.
It is our painful duty to record the death, at the comparatively early age of 56, of one of Launceston's most sterling and useful citizens in the person of Mr. John Gunn, the senior partner in the widely-known building firm of Messrs. J. and T. Gunn, who expired yesterday afternoon, at his late residence, Elphin road, after an illness extending over three weeks. The cause of death was a pulmonary affection, which developed such serious proportions as to necessitate an operation being performed by Drs. Maddox, Clemons, and Hogg, which, however, was of no avail.
A fortnight back, Mr. Gunn, with a view of endeavouring to shake off the illness which threatened him, visited George Town, but the change not having the desired effect he returned to the city, where he ultimnately sank, the news of his decease being, received by all Lauceston with unfeigned expressions of the deepest sorrow. Though deceased never entered public life, he was one of the best known, and, it may be added, most respected, men in the colony, his business connection extending all through the island. Mr. Gunn was the son of Mr. Alexander Gunn, who came to Launceston from Adelaide when his son John was but a month old, so that deceased cannot exactly be called a native of Tasmania, though he received his education here, and the greater portion of his subsequent career was passed in this island. His first essay in the direction of learning a trade, after leaving school at the early age of eleven, was made in the grocery establishment of Mr.Donald McQueen, situated where the Central Hotel now stands, but this not being altogether to his liking he became apprenticed as a bricklayer to Mr. John French, a contractor, who carried on business where Ratten's Bazaar now is.
On the completion of his apprenticeship there Mr. Gunn entered the service of Mr. Rhodes, another contractor, who, however, soon after went to Auckland, New Zealand, and a little later on induced Mr. Gunn to follow him.
During their stay in Maoriland, Messrs. Rhodes and Gunn were very successful with their contracts, their operations extending' over six or seven years and including the erection of substantial premises for the Bank of New Zealand in Auckland.
Mr. Gunn's next sphere of operations was Sydney, where he remained a year or two. In the New South Wales metropolis, however, he was unfortunate enough to meet with an accident, the result of which was an injury to his ankle, and this, in a measure, contributed to his early return to Launceston, for which city he left Sydney so soon as he had completed the contract on which he was engaged.
On his arrival in Launceston he took up a position for a time in the Gold Mine grocery establishment of Mr. R. H. Price, on what is now generally known as the Exchange corner, but in 1872 entered into partnership with his brother Thomas as contractors under the style of J. and T. Gunn - a firm which for the last 25 years has steadily grown until it has assumed proportions which entitle it to be considered one of the principil establishments in the colony.
When Mr. John Gunn returned to Launceston his brother was in partnership with Mr. John Dean, and they were the contractors, it may be mentioned, for the erection of Struan House, one of the finest residences in the city. On Mr. Dean dropping out, of the partnership, Messrs. John and Thomas Gunn commneced operations as timber merchants and contractors, their yards then being where Kimberley's stalls now are, and where Mr. John Barret, and a timber yard before them.
Later on as the business grew the necessity for extra accommodation and new plant led to the erection of steam saw and moulding mills in Brisbane-street, next to the Club Hotel, which were subsequently extended to double their original proportions. A substantial and ornate edifice was erected nearly opposite as offices and show-rooms and below Straun House a large sawing plant was located, and now forms the centre of industry for a large number of men. Messrs. Gunn were also responsible for the introduction of steam brick-making machinery at Glen Dhu, and in various other parts of the city is to be found ample evidence of the extensive character of their business in the shape of timber stacks and other necessaries of their trade.
To catalogue the buildings which the firm have erected during the last quarter of a century, both in Launceston and out of it, will be but to necessarily amplify what has been already sufficiently emphasised, and all that need be said here is that whatever they undertook to carry out was invariably accomplished in a most thorough manner and characterised by most honest workmanship.
In short the record of the firm is of an absolutely unblemished character.
In his private capacity Mr. Gunn was widely esteemed. He was one of the most genial and sympathetic of men albeit of a most unobtrusive disposition. From his boyhood he was an ardent student, being practically selftaught and in later life lent considerable encouragement to the next generation to do likewise, the Launceston Technical School receiving substantial assistance, not only by generous donations from time to time, but also by the advice which, in his position as a member of the committee he was so well qualified to give. Time after time Mr. Gunn was asked to enter public life, but he invariably declined, and contented himself in making quiet, but close, observance of all that concerned the colony at large, and especially the city in which his largest interests were centred.
Deceased, however, was closely associated with the National Bank of Tasmania, and at the time of his death occupied the responsible position of chairman of directors. He was also the director of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Tasmania. Deceased was gazetted as a Justice of the Peace in 1892. In his early days, Mr. Gunn was connected with the Margaret-street Wesleyan Church, at the Sunday school of which he was a regular attendant, and where later on he officiated as a teacher. Subsequently however, the deceased joined the congregation of St. John's, where for a period, he acted as churchwarden.
He married Miss Sarah Morris, his brother and partner marrying a sister, and leaves his widow and a son and daughter to mourn their loss. Three of deceased's sisters reside in Launceston, viz., Mesdames Frank Bushby, Wm. Craw, and John Gee, and a younger brother, Mr. David Gunn, is at present in New Zealand.
Rather less than two years ago Mr. John Gunn visited England and America, and during his stay in those countries made a number of enquiries into the timber trade, bringing back with him a quantity of valuable information. It is to be regretted, however, that the trip had not a more lasting benefit upon his health. The funeral will leave deceased's late residence, 13 Elphin-road, at 9.30 a.m. to-morrow for Charles-street cemetery.

TROVE we need volunteers

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.