John + Annie Hislop BOLES - Thames, Coromandel :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

John + Annie Hislop BOLES - Thames, Coromandel

Journal by ngairedith

John BOLES (1847-1922)
married 1 April 1881 in County Monaghan, Ireland to:
Annie Heslip/Hislop ?? (1853-1920) (see comments below)

they then emigrated to New Zealand, settled in Thames and had 9 children:

... 1
1882 - 1933 Joseph Samuel Hislop 'Joe' Boles
- born 15 January 1882 in Thames
- In 1892 Joseph was in Standard IV a the Tararu School
- Joe served in WWI as Sergeant Major 2252 with the New Zealand Rifle Brigade, 7th Reinforcements 4th Battalion, H Company. He embarked from Wellington 20 Aug 1916 for Devonport, England, listing his father at Thames as next of kin
JOE married Jane Lethbridge NEWSHAM (1890-1948) in 1920
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was in Te Aroha
JOSEPH died on 31 July 1933 aged 51 in Morrinsville
JANE died 19 October 1948 aged 58
- they are buried Block V, Plot 9, in the Old Cemetery, Thames St Morrinsville

... 2
1883 - 1946 Thomas Henry 'Dawson' Boles
Otago Witness, 28 October 1903 A young man named Dawson Boles, accidentally fell down a pass 40ft in depth last week whilst at work in the Komata Reefs mine, Auckland, Fortunately, he dropped on his feet, and escaped with slight injuries to one of his ankles and kneecap. He was brought into the hospital where his injuries were attended to
DAWSON married Hazel Inglis DUNSTAN (1895-1962) in 1916
Ohinemuri Gazette, 22 April 1916 A very pretty wedding was solemnised in the Waihi Presbyterian Church on Wednesday afternoon, the Rev G. Lochore officiating. The contracting parties were Miss Hazel Inglis Dunstan, fourth daughter of Mr W. Dunstan of Waihi, and Mr Thomas Henry Dawson Boles, of the Thames
they had a son:
1917 - 1995 Mervyn Dawson Boles (lived Matamata, ashes interred North Shore)
- in July 1917 Dawson was in Waihi when his name was drawn in the Hauraki Recruiting District
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was in Bruntwood, Waikato
Auckland Star, 5 June 1943 BOLES-TAYLOR - On April 17, 1943, at St Pauls Methodist Church, Northcote, by the Rev A. J. Johnston, Elsie Marsden, only daughter of Mr and Mrs H. Taylor, Northcote, to Mervyn Dawson, only son of Mr and Mrs Dawson Boles, Birkenhead
THOMAS HENRY DASWON Boles died 3 September 1946 aged 63
HAZEL INGLIS Boles died 10 October 1962 aged 67
- they are buried Old Portion, Public Block 4, Plots 7&8 Birkenhead/Glenfield Cemetery

... 3
1885 - 1934 John James 'Crawford' Boles
- in 1894 Crawford was in Standard IV at Tararu School
CRAWFORD married Stella Melville WEST (1876-1957) in 1908
- Stella was born in Newtown, NSW, 1 of at least 7 children of Benjamin WEST & Margaret SPEARS
Auckland Star, 11 May 1908 BOLES-WEST - On April 19th, at Thames, New Zealand, by Rev J. Milne, M.A., J. J. Crawford Boles, of Te Kuiti, son of John Boles, of Thames, to Stella Melville, daughter of Benjamin West, of Redfern, N.S.W.
- they had a daughter:
1908 - 2009 Gwenneth Muriel Aroha Boles
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was a draper in Te Kuiti
Auckland Star, 10 February 1934 TE KUITI this day
... Mr Crawford Boles, a prominent local business man, died suddenly at his residence this morning. He was for many years a prominent Rugby footballer and bowler, being well known at Thames and in the Waikato. He leaves a wife and adult daughter
... A well-known business man of Te Kuiti, Mr Crawford Boles, died suddenly on February 10. He was born at Thames, educated at the High School there, and 28 years ago went to Te Kuiti, to the firm of Green and Colebrook, where he managed the drapery department. When that firm gave up business Mr Boles started on his own account. At one time he played for the Te Kuiti Football Club. Mr Boles was a past master of Lodge Plunket, Free Masons. He leaves a wife and one daughter

... 4
1886 - 1950 Robert George Herbert 'Bert' Boles
- In 1892 Robert was in the Primers a the Tararu School
- Bert served in WWI twice.
* The first time he had the rank of Corporal 23/366, embarking from Wellington 9 Oct 1915 with the 1st Battalion, New Zealand Rifle Brigade, B Company and serving on the Western Front.
* The second as Second Lieutenant 23/336, embarking from Wellington 9 May 1918 with the NZEF, 37th Reinforcements A Company and served in Somme, France. He was awarded the DCM (Distinguished Conduct Medal) for gallantry when a Sergeant Major. He was promoted to First Lieutenant and then to Captain and was decorated by King George V (see his letter home below)
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was in Thames (late of Te Kuiti)
- in 1920 he moved to Taihape and took over McLauglan Brothers
BERT married Ida Susan MORTLAND (1900-?) in 1925
- Ida was a daughter of John MORTLAND & Amelia Elizabeth PEARCE
- they had 2 daughters, Ngaire & Maureen Ailsa Boles
- in June 1926 he was a storekeeper in Manurewa, Auckland
- in August 1946 he was the Manager of the New Taihape Hotel
King Country Chronicle, 13 December 1916
... After twenty-three days in the trenches I will attempt to answer your last very welcome letter, which came to hand in due time. No doubt you expect a little news from me as regards how I got on. Well, on Sunday night of September 10th, 1916, we went into the front line and relieved a regiment of Tommies who had just captured one of the Hun trenches. We got a bit of a doing going up, losing a few men, as the enemy were shelling the sap, getting the range to a nicety. It was a fairly moonlight night, and when we got there we found that we had to finish a trench that the Tommies had started just a little in advance of the old Bosche line, which was blown to pieces by our artillery prior to the advance. Our bouys worked like Trojans all night, and by daylight had established a fairly good line.
... Daylight revealed a sight that is seen only after a big advance. The old trench behind us was full of dead Germans, and, needless to say, a lot of the Tommies mixed up together. That day our trench was shelled for five hours, but our casualties were remarkably small considering the stuff Fritz put over. By Jove, our chaps are the gamest one would wish to meet. As soon as there was a bit of a lull in the firing, they got over the parapet and out into No Man's Land souvenir hunting, and then the Huns would get into us again, and all hands would scamper back to cover.
... That night a terrible bombardment took place on the part of both sides. High explosives, H.E. shrapnel, machine gun and rifle fire went at top for about half-an-hour. We though Fritz was going to counter-attack but he could never have lived through the barrages our artillery put up. The place was as bright as day, star shells from our trench as well as the Germans made a very picturesque scene. The Germans have some splendid 'Very' lights and plenty of variety, green, white and red being his principle ones.
... Things quietened down at about 1 a.m. and we went out to dig a communication trench between ours and another company, to connect up. I thought during the bombardment I heard a machine gun out a bit from our trench, but one of the men said it was one of ours, but I still had a bit of suspicion that it was a Fritz. However, I took a trip out where I thought it was, and soon dropped across it. One dead Hun was alongside of it, and next day we got a couple of wounded close by. I brought the gun in and when daylight came some of our gunners had a look at it and found it to be in perfect order.
... We were relieved that night by the 2nd Brigade of New Zealand, after a strenuous 8 hours in the front line. We went in again on the night of the 14th, and next day the New Zealanders made their great advance. Only two brigades went forward, the one I just mentioned to the first line and outs took the last three. Out battalion had the farthest to go, having the last line to take. We got over the parapet at 6.30 a.m. and we advanced till 10.50 a.m. It was a great sight to see the steadiness of the men under a terrific fire put up by the enemy, and although their mates fell at every step they never faltered, but went on with the utmost confidence.
... At last we reached the trench we were to reorganise before attacking the final objective. Our company was comparatively weakened by this time, but the remainder went forward and got into the trench only to be driven out again after holding it for about half-an-hour. The Tommies on our right flank failed to get up, and wer were left well advanced with no connection in either flank. There were only two companies of our battalion, - A and B - or rather half company left in that line, and we came under concentrated fire from the enemy as well as a few of our own shell dropping short. We had by this time lost all our officers, which left me in charge, being the senior N.C.O. - Sergt. Major, by the way, being promoted a couple of weeks before we went over. We had to retire back a few hundred yards and dig in under very heavy fire. We expected a counter-attack that night, but it did not eventuate.
We did another 48 hours in the front line and were relieved by the First Brigade, who came up fresh and captured the trench we were driven out of. We were very fortunate in getting back without a casualty, as it is during the change over that we get a lot of shelling.
... Things continued to go on as hot as ever and I can assure you I had quite enough of it when we finished our 23 days. We are at present in the trenches again, but this is a real home compared to our last place, and would be quite satisfied to remain in for the duration. I have a decent little dug-out. and every convenience, and as comfortable as it is possible to be under the circumstances.
... I am expecting to go on furlough very shortly. The leave to England is ten days, so I could have a fairly good time. A lot of our wounded chaps are in hospital in England. Mick Kaveney is over there with a wound in his left arm. I had a note from him the other day. I am in for a commission and expect to get it very shortly.
... The days are getting very short now, and the nights are fairly chilly. The reinforcements are going to England before coming over here, so will probably see Joe by the time my leave comes. I think this winter will see pretty near the end of this war, as the Germans are getting fairly hot time of it. I suppose you read all about the 'tanks' during the advance. They are great. I'll tell you something about them and their working next letter. Poor old Fritz was frightened to death at the sight of them.
... I went right through the stand, and am feeling splendid. Wet feet and ploughing through mud knee deep in places has had no effect on me at all. I could have eaten a horse after getting back to the cookers, so you can guess I haven't lost my appetite
BERT died 15 June 1950 aged 63 in Taihape (see photo)
- he is buried Plot 28, Section Lawn, Block 2, Row 55 at Taihape Cemetery

... 5
1888 - 1926 Stopford Leslie 'Les' Boles
LES married Jane Eva JOHNSON (1892-1968) in 1915
- Jane was 1 of at least 11 children of John Benjamin & Jane JOHNSON
NOTE JOHN BENJAMIN JOHNSON, (written in 1902) Plumber, Tinsmith, Ironmonger, etc., Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. The business was established in 1882 by the firm of Bedford and Johnson, but Mr. Johnson afterwards became sole proprietor. Mr. Johnson was born at Capetown in 1864. When he was two years old his parents came to New Zealand, and he was brought up to the trade of a plumber at the Thames, where he worked till settling at Te Aroha. He has served on the Te Aroha Licensing Bench, school committee, Town Board, and Hot Springs Domain Board, and was one time sergeant of the Te Aroha rifle corps.
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was a draper in Te Aroha
Auckland Star, 1 October 1926 Mr Stopford Leslie Boles, who died on Tuesday at his residence, Ruakaka, was well known in the business life of Te Aroha. He took an active part in public affairs, and at the by-election made necessary by the death of Mr John Frear, he was elected to the Te Aroha Borough Council by a substantial majority. Just prior to his election to the council he was elected to a seat on the committee of the Te Aroha Jockey Club. Only ten days ago Mr Boles had a chill after working in his garden, and on the following day he was obliged to seek his bed. Pneumonic Influenza quickly developed, and all efforts to assist him over the crisis failed. Mr Boles was born at Thames, but had resided in Te Aroha practically all his life. He leaves a young widow and one daughter. The interment took place on Wednesday afternoon, when his remains were followed by representatives of the following bodies: Te Aroha Borough Council, Te Aroha Jockey Club, Te Aroha Trotting Club, Te Aroha Bowling Club, Te Aroha Golf Club, Te Aroha Chamber of Commerce.
By the time the cortege reached the Te Aroha cemetery over 100 cars were following. A beautiful array of wreaths were forwarded from all the sporting bodies in the district

... 6
1890 - 1952 'Cecil' Augustus Boles
King Country Chronicle, 2 November 1912 After having spent five years with Messrs Green and Colebrook, Mr Cecil Boles has decided to start business on his own account. A very central position has been chosen next to Mr Lissman's shop, and alterations are to be made to suit the requirements of cash grocer. it is Mr Boles' intention to conduct his business on purely cash lines, no booking being encouraged. With low prices and a quick turn over system, Mr Boles asks for a fair share of public support and patronage
King Country Chronicle, 24 December 1913 Cecil Boles has, during the year been compelled to secure larger premises owing to increased business requirements. The business has been built up to its present high standard within the past sixteen months. The business is conducted directly under the control of Mr Boles, and his staff of eight assistants are prepared at all times to meet the wishes of customers
CECIL married Ethel Florence CARR (1892-1962) in 1914
- Ethel was 1 of at least 9 children of John Richard CARR & Ethel STEVENS
Thames Star, 4 May 1914 The marriage took place at Cambridge last week of Mr Cecil Boles, of Te Kuiti, formerly of Thames, to Miss Ethel Carr
New Zealand Herald, 30 August 1916 BOLES - On August 26, to Mr and Mrs Cecil Boles, Ward Street, Te Kuiti, a daughter
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was a grocer in Te Kuiti
Evening Post, 6 December 1933 Mr Cecil Boles, owner of Rereatu and Rerepai, who both won at Takapuna last Saturday, is the Mayor of Taumarunui. His horses were named for him by his Deputy Mayor, the Rev Egerton Ward, Rereatu meaning 'Fly Away' and Rerepai 'Go Quickly'
Evening Post, 7 August 1935 AWAPUNI RACING YEAR - The Taumarunui owner, Mr Cecil Boles, who had Rerepai and Rereatu prepared by R. E. Hatch at Awapuni, heads the winning owners' list
- Cecil was involved with the Te Kuiti Bowling & Football Clubs
CECIL died 11 Jan 1952 aged 61
ETHEL died 29 July 1962 aged 70
- they are buried Block J Row 16 Plot 56 at Purewa, Auckland

... 7
1894 - 1962 'Horace' Randolph Boles
Thames Star, 22 September 1917 MILITARY SERVICE BOARD - from our Te Aroha correspondent:- Horace Boles, draper, was exempted sine die
Thames Star, 13 October 1920 THAMES - At the Police Court this morning before Mr H. A. Young, S.M., Horace Boles, charged with riding a bicycle on the footpath at Tararu, was fined 15s and costs 7s
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was a draper in Hamilton
- no wife yet found
HORACE died 19 Oct 1963
- his ashes are interred Block Z Row 15 Plot 28, Purewa Auckland

... 8
1896 - Annette Victoria Morrin 'Nettie' Boles
- in 1902 Nettie in the First Class Primers at Tararu School
- in 1906 she was in Standard IV and won a silver thimble for sewing and a prize for good attendance
- in 1918 she was working on a stall at the Paddy's Market held in Pollen St, Thames, to raise funds for the Red Cross
- in 1920 (death of her mother Annie) she was a teacher at the Central School, Thames
Thames Star, 30 March 1920 WAITAKARURU NEWS
... A social and dance was held in the Waitakaruru Hall on Friday last for the purpose of giving Miss Boles, who has been three and a half years sole charge teacher of the Waitakaruru school, a send-off and a presentation. The evening went off very well under the control of Messrs F. Stretton and G. Coxhead, M.C., with the help of Mr A. Otter, secretary, and the ladies of the district ... more
Auckland Star, 3 June 1935 Miss Nettie Boles, of Thames, motored to Auckland for the racing carnival
Auckland Star, 4 January 1937 Miss Nettie Boles, of Thames, is spending the holidays at Russell
Auckland Star, 6 June 1938 RACEGOERS APPEAR IN SMART WINTER MODELS at Ellerslie to-day. Tailored suits and coats were the order of the day and their smartness was undoubted. Many of the coats were fur-trimmed which gave them comfort as well as chicness. The hats were outstanding in their smartness and featured the high, folded and tucked lines of the mode. The most appealing accessories matched and many novelties were to be seen. Shoes in many cases were in tomes to exactly match the ensemble.
Among those present were:
... & Miss Nettie Boles (Thames), leaf brown suit, Breton felt hat ...
Auckland Star, 8 March 1939 Miss Boles, of Thames, has gone to Paeroa after a holiday at Auckland as the guest of Mrs Dawson Boles, of Hauraki Street, Birkenhead
Auckland Star, 14 April 1941 Miss Nettie Boles, of Thames, returns to-morrow, after spending Easter in Auckland

... 9
1896 - 1966 Malcolm 'Victor' Boles
- in 1903 he was in the Primer class at Tararu School
New Zealand Herald, 22 February 1917
... Malcolm Boles, telegraphist, Morrinsville, asked for an extension of time. The military representative said that two brothers of appellant were on active service, and one had recently been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Two other had enlisted. The chairman said it was a gallant family, and the appellant was entitled to almost any time he desired. Extension was granted to may 29
- Victor served in WWI as Private 56411 with the NZEF, 29th Reinforcements Specialists Company, Signal Section. He embarked from Wellington for Glasgow on 13 Aug 1917, listing his father of Tararu Rd., Thames as next of kin
- in 1920 (death of his mother Annie) he was with Post & Telegraph in Thames
victor married Olive DODD (1902-1994) in 1925
- daughter of Arthur Earle Elliers DODD & Mary Augusta Gray LAWLOR
MALCOLM died 7 April 1966 aged 69
OLIVE died 1 April 1994 aged 92
- their ashes are interred Block Z Row 5 Plot 71 at Purewa, Auckland
NOTE a son, Malcolm Earle Lawlor Boles (1928-2010) is also interred at Purewa

ANNIE HESLOP BOLES died 22 Dec 1920 aged 67
Thames Star, 22 December 1920
... BOLES - On December 22nd, at her late residence, Tararu Road, Thames, after a long illness, Annie H., dearly loved wife of John Boles, aged 67 years
... Another of the old residents of Thames passed away this morning in the person of Mrs A. H. Boles, at her residence, Tararu, aged 67 years. Mrs Boles was married on April 1, 1881, in County Monaghan, Ireland, later coming to New Zealand and settling at Thames.
Mrs Boles, who was a very well known and highly respected resident of Tararu, had been in failing health for some time, and leaves a husband, Mr J. Boles, and a family of 8 sons and one daughter:
Cecil Boles, grocer at Te Kuiti
Crawford Boles, draper at Te Kuiti
Dawson Boles of Bruntwood, Waikato
Les Boles, draper, Te Aroha
Joe Boles, Te Aroha
Bert Boles, late of Te Kuiti and at present at Thames
Horace Boles, draper, Hamilton
Victor Boles, of the Post and Telegraph, Thames
Miss:- Nettie Boles is teacher at the Central School
... The funeral of the late Mrs Boles will leave her late residence, Tararu Road, at 2 p.m. on Thursday, for Tararu Cemetery.
Friends are requested to accept this intimation

JOHN BOLES died 6 August 1922 aged 78
New Zealand Herald, 7 August 1922 BOLES - On August 6, at his late residence, Tararu Road, Thames, John, beloved husband of the late Annie Boles, in his 78th year - At rest. Private interment to-morrow (Tuesday) at 2.30 p.m.
... John & Annie are buried PUBL-PLOT-271&272A at Tararu Cemetery

Can you help with the maiden name of Annie Heslop Boles ?
please leave a comment below

Plot 28, Section Lawn, Block 2, Row 55 at Taihape Cemetery

Robert George Herbert 'Bert' Boles

by ngairedith Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2010-11-04 07:56:51

ngairedith has been a Family Tree Circles member since Feb 2008.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by ridleysue83 on 2013-11-16 04:45:17


by ngairedith on 2013-11-16 13:08:49

updated to add info for ridleysue83 on her granddad and his family

by JanMc on 2013-12-30 20:38:13

I am a descendant of Thomas Henry Dawson Boles who was my grandfather. He died before I was born. I knew his wife Hazel as a young child and spent many holidays with her in Matamata.
I would love to hear from any family related to John & Annie Boles. My husband & I took photos of their graves in Thames.

by JanMc on 2013-12-31 22:19:52

Annie's maiden name was Heslip which is stated on Thomas Henry & Hazel Inglis Boles' marriage certificate which I have in my possession.

by ridleysue83 on 2014-02-05 23:10:29

I have the original marriage certificate for my grandmother Ida Susan to Robert George Herbert Boles, & it says very clearly....HISLOP.
What a nuisance.People's handwriting can look different too. The real clue is one of the son's carry's the name Hislop.

by ngairedith on 2014-02-06 03:39:17

thank you very much for that edit ridleysue

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.