<< Previous - Next >>

Henry Stiggants 1823-1905

Journal by janilye

Name: Henry STIGGANTS
Birth: 19 August 1823 - Boarhunt, Hampshire, England
Death: 22 April 1905 at Andersons Creek Victoria, Australia
Marriage: 17 October 1848 - Fareham/Southwick, Hampshire, England
FATHER: Thomas John Stiggants, 1792-1861
MOTHER: Elizabeth WIELD 1799-1880.

Spouse: Miriam HOUGHTON b:1830 Hampshire, England. d: 26 September 1914 Anderson's Creek, Victoria. Miriam was the daughter of Uriah HOUGHTON 1791-1878 and Sarah SNELL 1797-1865

Immigration:Arrived 7.08.1849 - aboard The Indian was appointed Mess Captain during the voyage.

As a young man Henry served in the British Navy under Sir John Henry Erskins before emigrating to Australia.
Henry Stiggants was a Shire Councillor and Justice of the Peace in Andersons Creek-Warrandyte district.

The children Of Henry and Miriam were:-
1.Henry Stiggants b:29 December1852 Port Adelaide. d:3 Nov.1929 Box Hill, Victoria m.Amelia Maria WILSON 1857-1939 in Melbourne Victoria in 1875 they had 7 children;
Adelaide Amelia Stiggants 1876 1879
Annie Grace Stiggants 1879 1922
Henry Ernest Albert Stiggants 1881 1947
Gertrude Ruth Stiggants 1882 1949
John Harold Stiggants 1884 1949
George Edwin Stiggants 1886 1960
Clarisse Elizabeth Stiggants 1888 1889

2. George Stiggants b:1855 Richmond Victoria. d: 1857 Richmond Victoria

3. Sarah Jane Stiggants b:1858 Collingwood, Victoria. d: 1933 Moonee Ponds Victoria. m. (1)George HOLLOWAY in 1875 at Heidelberg,three children; Elizabeth Jane 1876, Evelyn Mary 1878 and Eugene Ernest George 1880.
then in 1895 Sarah married ? MCGILL.

Elizabeth Stiggants 1861 in Collingwood. m. George Standish HARTRICK 1858-1934 in Ballarat in 1881. The children of Elizabeth and George were; Victor Standish 1882, Percival George 1883, Daisy Miriam Ruth 1886,
Rosina Adelaide 1887 and Jasper Henry Cecil 1889.

Ruth Stiggants b:1865 Anderson's Creek, Victoria d: 1944. m. William John CROOKS in Broadford in 1886 and had 2 children Mabel Miriam 1887-1954 and Sylvia Stiggants CROOKS 18881976.

Ernest Stiggants b:1871 Anderson's Creek. died 1879 Anderson's Creek

Timeline for Andersons Creek-Warrandyte 1839-1909

before 1839 Aboriginal people of the Wurundjeri clan lived in the area
1839 First selection of land by white settler, James Anderson
1851 Feb - serious bushfires on Black Thursday
1851 Gold found in Andersons Creek - first miners arrive at Andersons Creek - first gold licences in Victoria issued at Warrandyte
1855 Two stores started
1855 Warrandyte Cricket Club started
1856 Andersons Creek School opened, run by Church of England

1856 First coffer dam over Yarra built behind old PO stakes still visible at low water
1856 Punt across Yarra built
1856 Union hotel built, became Warrandyte Hotel burned down 1925 site of present Mechanics Institute
1857 First Post Office opened in a store
1857 First mail service to Melbourne began
1859 Geraghty's Mine started
1859 Mining started in Whipstick Gully area closed 1923
1861 First bridge over Yarra opened (was at back of old PO)
1863 Big Floods washed away first bridge
1866 Cemetery established
1868 First steam-powered crushing battery behind old PO started - Grants
1870 Anderson Creek Hotel built, became Grand Hotel 1895
1870 Holloways Hotel built, closed 1900
1870 Marble Hall Hotel built closed 1894
1870 Mullins Orchard opened in Black Flat area - near site by future Caledonia Mine) (closed 1917)
1870 Pound Bend Tunnel built ceased operations in 1872
1874 Warrandytes largest nugget found, 100 oz
1875 New wooden bridge built
1875 The original building which existed at 111 Yarra St became the PO in 1889

1875 Stone building of State School No 12 opened (remains to present)
1878 Discovery of Diorite Dykes in Black Flat area - Elliot Freehold Company formed stamping crusher built
1879 Crown Company mine started to exploit Diorite Dykes roof subsequently collapsed area now used as a rubbish dump
1883 Warrandyte Railway station on Lilydale line renamed Croydon
1889 Huge Yarra floods washed away much of low-lying Warrandyte
1889 Box Hill to Doncaster electric tramway opened - closed 1896
1889 Vast Wonga Park grazing property opened up for sub-division
1890 Proposal for railway from Kew to Warrandyte via Doncaster, with extension to Templestowe
1890 Jan/Feb - thousands of hectares burnt north of Warrandyte, Kinglake-Christmas Hills
1891 Heidelberg School Artists Trail opened, now passes through Warrandyte along River Walk
1893 PO opened at 111 Yarra St closed 1972
1895 Grand Hotel opened, replaced former Andersons Creek Hotel
1895 Primary School opened in Warrandyte East name changed to Wonga Park School in 1898
1896 Victory Mine started good yields closed 1904
1898 Water-powered privately owned battery owned by William Lewis - east of bridge - opened on south bank originally driven by waterwheel 2m wide 5m diameter then by portable steam engine - closed 1925 waterwheel left standing for several years
1900 Holloways Hotel closed
1900 Warrandyte Wine Hall hotel built closed 1924 became Folk Art Shop - 232 Yarra St
1902 Eight Hours Pioneer Settlement Post Office opened in Wonga Park renamed Wonga Park PO in 1907
1904 Caledonia Mine started, off Tills Rd (now private property) steam-powered and winch closed 1909
1904 Victory Mine closed

1906 Warrandyte Football Club started (played at site next to Caledonia Mine, Black Flat area)
1908 Warrandyte Football Club moved to the new Anderson's Creek Recreation Reserve, where it resides today
1908 Warrandyte Tennis Club started

1909 Andersons Creek officially renamed Warrandyte
1909 Caledonia mine closed
1909 Warrandyte Battery trust formed took over operation of Lewis battery



Below is Andersons Creek - Warrandyte 1898

Surnames: CROOKS HARTRICK HOLLOWAY HOUGHTON MCGILL SNELL STIGGANTS WIELD
Viewed: 1031 times
by janilye Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2012-01-09 02:43:23

janilye - 7th generation, Convict stock. Born in New South Wales now living in Victoria, carrying, with pride 'The Birthstain'.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

by janilye on 2012-01-09 03:57:22

No I didn't know but here is the answer to what Diorite Dykes were doing in Black Flat in 1878.

by ngairedith on 2012-01-09 04:02:13

thanks for that janily,
glad I went to read that ... invaluable information to be sure

by janilye on 2012-01-09 04:05:36

and not a motor bike in sight!

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.