HENRY WILLIAM AULT, A STAUNCH METHODIST, VIC., AUST.
Extract from Dromana,Rosebud and Miles Around on Trove.
THE AULTS AND THE METHODIST CHURCH. Henry William Ault seems to have been a lay preacher in the Methodist Church. He was listed in Wise’s Dromana trades directory of 1895 as a carpenter. He had lived for many years in Lakes Entrance when he died on 14-11-1934, having remained a stalwart of the church. (Gippsland Times 19-11-1934 page 1.) Harry Ault of Sale had an important task as an engineer in W.W.2. H.J. Ault moved to Mile End in South Australia and named his house “Dromana”.
Henry William Ault was, by 1875, leasing Joseph Pitcher’s grant, 72B, Balnarring, of 140 acres 1 rood and 37 perches, at Red Hill. By 1887 he appears to have purchased the block, fronting the east side of Mornington-Flinders Rd (Melway 190 E-F5) and now occupied by Mock Orchards. The end of Pardalote Rise indicates its south east corner. (Balnarring parish map, Flinders and Kangerong Shire rates.)
The Dromana Methodist church was built by “Brother Ault” in May and June 1878 and Henry was an original trustee, along with Rev. Lindsay, John Coles, Edward Barker, Alexander Shand, C.D.Gunson and William McIlroy. (A Dreamtime of Dromana page 124.) Shands, McIlroy and Barkers Rds indicate where three of these trustees lived, and Coles was probably from “Minto” near Westernport. Brother Crichton had been on the building committee; he probably lived at Glen Lee (Melway 252 K1) but also had bush paddocks nearer to Main Ridge. Nelson Rudduck of Dromana, who was soon to become a stalwart of the church, and J.S.Rudduck (his wife) received a grant of 100 acres (170 J9-10)between Kinwendy Rd and Duells Rd in 1888.
The Rev. Watford pointed out that many of the people in the mountains earned a living by splitting timber but could not get their produce to Dromana because of impassable roads. In view of the Shands, Barkers, McIlroys, Crichtons, Rudducks and Aults living south of this impassable barrier,and other families such as the Hopcrafts (Melway 190 D7 and F9) so opposed to drink that they must have been Methodists*, a church was probably also built at Main Ridge. The Flinders Heritage Study discusses a former Methodist manse being built in Palmerston Ave by Nelson Rudduck for the Main Ridge minister, it is likely that its occupant conducted services at Dromana too.
*Robert Adams’ wife, a Hopcraft, refused to live at Hopetoun House at Adams’ Corner (Wattle Place) because of Captain Adams’ drinking.
on 2013-07-25 02:13:23
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.