<< Previous - Next >>

Hi. My name is Kayla Barnes... i need help finding out who my ancesters are and i really want to knw...if you could please help a 13 year old wanting to know about her heritage

Question by barneskayla

Viewed: 709 times
by barneskayla Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2010-06-17 21:18:48

barneskayla has been a Family Tree Circles member since Jun 2010. is researching the following names: BARNES.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by allycat on 2010-06-17 21:31:32

If your grandparents are still living, they are the ones to ask. See if you can obtain copies of baptismal, birth, death and marriage certificates of your relatives who have passed on. Maybe someone in your family already knows about your ancestors?

Basically when researching your family tree, you start with yourself and work backwards, researching both the maternal (mum's side) and paternal (father's side) of the family. You find out the names of all the brothers and sisters in each generation. It's interesting to see if there are any old photographs, how your ancestor worked for a living, where they were born, how they died, etc.

Ask your parents if they are interested in beginning a family tree online at Geni (free) with the option to upgrade later on (more features).

For some more tips, read all about getting started with your family history online at FamilySearch.

Best wishes.

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.