HILL Street, Thorndon, Wellington - 1841
the following from NZETC was written about 1928
... Hill Street, Thorndon, off Molesworth Street and Tinakori Road, is named after General Rowland Hill, second in command at Waterloo, under the Duke of Wellington, and later the Commander-in-chief of the British Army.
The original purchasers of the Town acres in this street, with frontages also to Glenbervie Road, were:
Clement TABOR, sec. 522;
J. ELLIOT, sec. 523, sold to J. VINEY Jnr
- (Parliament Street was taken out of sec. 523);
Henrietta RINTOUL, sec. 524;
J. HEATH's section, 525, extended,
- as did 526 to 530, to Sydney Street.
Dr. Thomas ARNOLD, of Rugby, bought sections 526 and 527.
S. FARRAR, sec. 528;
H. A. AGLIONBY, sec. 529;
H. MOREING, sec. 530
- (corner of Molesworth Street), sold to Sir William FOX
Sections 526 to 530 were merged in the Provincial Buildings site, now Parliamentary Grounds.
The purchasers of the north side acres were:
James SMITH, sec. 456
- (corner of Tinakore Road), sold to Louis NATHAN
George S. EVANS, sec. 547,
- sold to James FIELD
Edward DANIELL sec. 548;
His Grace the Duke of Sutherland, sec. 550,
- sold to R. BARTON, B. GORDON, J. C. and D. BROWN
Edmund HALSWELL, sec. 552;
George Dalrymple MONTEITH, sec. 554,
- sold to B. GORDON, R. JENKINS, W. ALLEN and E. PRINCE
Henry MOREING, sec. 556,
- sold to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Wellington;
George S. EVANS, sections 558, 560 and 562.
- Section 558 was sold to E. C. STRODE
Golders Hill was formed out of sections 560 and 562.
Sir William MOLESWORTH bought section 564 (corner of Molesworth Street
This was cut up and sold to
C. and H. BUICK
R. H. CARPENTER
the Bishop of New Zealand
Dr. EVANS' house is shown on Golders Hill, in the Thorndon Quay portion of Heaphy's Panoramic Sketch, 1841.