HISTORY DISAPPEARS TODAY IN ROSEBUD, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA. :: FamilyTreeCircles.com Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

HISTORY DISAPPEARS TODAY IN ROSEBUD, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA.

Journal by itellya

Today, Thursday, 1-12-2011, the huge pine trees were cut down at 858 Pt Nepean Rd, Rosebud. Who planted them is unclear, but it was possibly George Fountain, who at one time owned number 858 and 854. The pines were planted on both blocks and George, a plumber who was the last Mayor of the Borough of North Melbourne before it merged with the City of Melbourne, called his holiday residence "The Pines".
The house at number 858, possibly built by William John Ferrier (subject of another journal), the nationally famous hero of the La Bella tragedy at Warrnambool in 1905, was probably occupied by George until a newer house was built on number 854. Ferrier's block was then sold to the Archers, who were keen recreational fishermen.
I took a mobile phone photo of the two pines, from which most of the branches had been lopped. Hopefully MUZZA OF McCRAE took a photo of these two very old trees with their clothes on and will be able to post it with his other great photos of historical interest.

Surnames: ARCHER FERRIER FOUNTAIN
Viewed: 862 times
by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-12-01 00:31:33

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

by itellya on 2016-01-23 09:56:25

The present house on 858 Pt Nepean Rd was not occupied by William John Ferrier and family. The block was bought by George Fountain when the Ferriers moved to Queenscliff circa 1916. George demolished the original fishermans' cottage (traced back to Antonio Bosina's first occupancy there in 1894)and built a new house around the original chimney on the far (west) side.(Laura Fountain's memoirs.)
The pines on crown allotment 6 (Nos. 854 and 856) were planted by the grantee, Jack Jones, and were fully grown by the time the Fountains moved into the house assembled from dismantled materials from two North Melbourne houses brought down on the Eivion. George planted the two pines on No.858 before selling that block to the Archers. (Ethel Fountain's memoirs.)

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.