HOBSON Street, Te Aro, Wellington - 1840
the following from NZETC was written about 1927
... Hobson Street, Thorndon, named after Governor Hobson, is off Tinakori Road, Moturoa and Davis Streets, via. Thorndon Quay.
A suspension bridge spans a deep gully that was at one time a dumping ground for an assortment of rubbish, but is now densely clothed in greenery. Mr. J. Tomlin, emigration agent, appears to have been one of the earliest residents. His name is on the Burgess Roll for 1843.
Carkeek's map, dated 1861, bears the following names, as under:—
* Sec. 595, W. Hickson and W. M. Smith
- (old No. 596 Govt. Reserve);
* 599. C. Clifford; 607, Makarita Davis, Arahia Davis and Ven. Archdeacon Williams (608a);
* 596, A de B. Brandon; 610, Rob Hart, A. Ingram-Johnston
- (right of way between);
* 612, C. Chippendale;
* 614, W. M. Bannatyne;
* 616, T. D. McManaway and Sir C. Clifford.
The hospital reserves were at the corner of Pipitea and Hobson Streets (594) and Tinakori Road, and a grant of land for a college, with four buildings on it, at Moles-worth Street corner and Hobson Street.
The records for 1865–66 show the names of Messrs. T. C. Williams and J. Futter.