alycat has been a Family Tree Circles member since Aug 2011. is researching the following names: PARRISH, SCHELLHORN.
Was the name changed when they came from overseas?
I have German ancestors that had their last names changed. I believe it happened because it was due to their German accent and they wrote down what they heard. A "J" beginning sounded like a "Y".
Here are a few suggestions.
1. Ask your relatives if they heard any stories passed down.See if the library has your family in the local history book.
2. Look at internet genealogy sites that have your current spelling, and you could look at rootsweb family trees and see who is researching your spelling of the name.
3. Check census records from the time period your ancestors arrived/
also look at city directories.
4. Ellis Island ----google this for the record
5. Research the name meaning of the name...........maybe it was shortened.
all the above was suggested when you google name change.
If the name change was more current.....than call the government offices to hear what they have to say about that situation.
Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.
Join over 170,000 others who are connecting with their cousins and common researchers!
FamilyTreeCircles is easy and free.