JAMES BOOTH 1836-1931
James BOOTH the son of William James BOOTH 1808-1875 and Mary STRETTON 1805-1877, was born on the 12 June 1836 at Edensor,Derbyshire,and died at the age of 95 in Barraba, New South Wales on the 8 July 1931. He arrived in Australia in 1856 as an assisted immigrant aboard the ship 'Conway' he settled at Camperdown in Sydney where he worked as a clerk. There, he met and married Mary Ann COLLINS,b:1837 in Donegal, Ireland. Mary Ann arrived as an assisted immigrant on the 'Bee' on 6 June 1856. James and Mary Ann were married in 1862 at Camperdown. the children of this marriage were:-
1.Alfred Booth 1862 1885, North Sydney
2. William James Booth b:28 Oct.1864 d:9 April 1948, Lidcombe,married Ann CUTMORE 1871-1958 daughter of William CUTMORE 1829-1909 and Ann BASHAM 1833-1914 at Barraba in 1889 -7 Children
3. John A. Booth 1866 1869, Sydney
4. Rose Booth 1867 1869, Sydney
5. Mary Emily Booth 1869 1949, Ryde NM
6. Elizabeth Booth b:25 Feb 1870 d:11 October 1949, Sydney Married Frederick RABE at Barraba 11 June 1895 - 3 children
7. Catherine Booth b:27 June 1872 Newtown d:5 December 1951, Werris Creek. married Arthur Charles BARTIER b:1869 - d:28 July 1955 at Werris Creek. on 27 June 1897 at Barraba, NSW
8. Rose Booth b: 19 Dec.1873 Newtown d: 19 March 1944, Barraba
9. James Henry Booth b: 17 July 1875 Newtown d:2 August 1949, Sydney
10. Frederick Charles Booth b:16 May 1877 Barraba 1945, Queensland, Australia
James and Mary moved to Barraba around 1878 and James opened a general store.
Mary BOOTH, nee COLLINS died on the 6 February 1880, at Barraba,after an illness of two days, leaving James and 8 children. Buried at Barraba General Cemetery.The headstone is broken and laying on the ground but the date of death is clear, and newspaper obituaries clearly give 6th as d.o.d.
In 1881 at Warialda, NSW James BOOTH married Sarah Jane CUTMORE b:25 November 1858 at Wilberforce,NSW d:11 April 1938 Barraba, NSW. The children of this marriage were:-
George James Booth 1881 1947, Rockdale, Sydney
Arthur William Booth 1883 1958, Katoomba
Albert Booth 1885 1951, Burwood, Sydney
Walter Booth 1887 1949, Concord, Sydney
Thirza Jessie Booth 1889 1968, Barraba
Stanley Roy Booth 1891 1946, Barraba
Percy Cecil Booth 1893 1953, Kempsey
Stella May Booth 1898 1964, Barraba
James died on the 8 July 1931 at Barraba and his second wife Sarah Jane followed on the 11 April 1938 at Barraba. Both, are buried at the Barraba General Cemetery, West St, Barraba in the old CofE section.