17 April 1880
Those who have often partaken at public banquets of the menu provided by Compagnoni, will learn with regret that the excellent caterer's estate was placed in the Insolvency Court this morning.
5 August 1880
ONE of the largest, and best appointed cafes in the Australian colonies is that known as Compagnoni's situated in Pitt Street, Sydney, which has been wholly
reconstructed and furnished in a most comfortable and elegant manner, reminding the visitor of the more famous establishments which line the Parisian Boulevards, and form one of the leading attractions of the French capital. At the inaugural dinner, there were present a large number of mercantile gentlemen and several members of Parliament and city aldermen. The members of the board of directors-namely, Mr. John Woods (in the chair), Messrs. Gorman, R. Nott, W. Carey, and W. Clarke, also attended. The business, which was formerly carried on by Mr. Compagnoni, is under the immediate direction of Mr. Samuel Packham, as manager. Those familiar with the old establishment will not easily be enabled to recognise it in its new guise, in consequence of the extensive alterations which have been made in the premises, including the extension and fitting up of a gentlemen's dining hall, and a handsomely decorated ladies' dining hall, the erection of a new kitchen, fitting up of lavatories, &c. The kitchen contains the latest and most approved steam cooking apparatus, and will be under the management of M. Marriette, as chef de cuisine, in which capacity he had extensive experience at the Union Club, Melbourne, and at Ballarat. Judging from the opinions expressed by visitors, we should say the new caf? has a bright and prosperous future before it. The specialist of the establishment is oysters, served up in every style.
1 October 1883
By the improvements made in Compagnoni's restaurant, Pitt-street, a decided want has been supplied to the public of this city, which has been behind some of the large towns of the sister colonies in respect to
accommodation such as Compagnoni's is intended to supply. The old restaurant was well known, but the alterations that have been made are so extensive that the appearance of the place has been entirely changed, and the accommodation for the public is more than doubled. Beginning with the refreshment rooms, it may be stated that these apartments have not only been very much enlarged by throwing back the dividing wall's a considerable distance at the rear of the building, but they have been completely transformed. As yon enter, the ladies' luncheon room is on the right hand and the gentlemen's on the left ? there being communication between the two rooms by means of spacious doorways, so that with, other means of ven tilation the place will be pleasantly cool in the summer months. The roofs are arched and con structed so as to admit a flood of light, the general effect being pleasant and cheerful. The furniture is all that could be desired, and the lavatories in connection with these rooms are fitted up with the utmost care for cleanliness and comfort, there being a servant constantly in attendance in the lady's dressing-room. The culinary apparatus is most complete, and everything is kept wonderfully clean, notwithstanding the large amount of cooking and kitchen work generally in connection, with s0 large an establishment. At the rear of the premises is the bakery, where all the confectionery is turned out, and above this a store room, in which is kept the catering part, which is very extensive, as the company does a large catering trade. Also in this direction is a dry store. certain out-buildings and a poultry yard. Indeed it would scarcely be imagined from a front view of the restaurant in Pitt-street how extensive these premises really are. Returning to the main building by a passage at the side, we enter the luncheon bar, passing by the wine and dry goods stores on the way. The luncheon bar is not quite finished, but is being fitted up with every attention to comfort and convenience. It will not be a luncheon bar in the proper sense of the term, but more of a lounge. It may be stated that Mr. James, the manager, contemplates the excellent idea of establishing a grill or chop room in connection with this part of the restaurant, and there can be no doubt that if it were esta blished such an institution would be largely patron ised. In fact, it is a matter for wonder that a city like Sydney has not properly regulated chop rooms for the use of people engaged is the city. They are common in London and other large cities, and were successfully introduced in Auckland, N.Z., years ago. If Mr. James succeeds in carrying out his idea at Compagnoni's, there can be little doubt that it would meet with success. Upstairs there are the club rooms and other apartments : and, generally speaking, the institution as altered and improved is a credit to the city.
19 November 1884
Mr. Tollemache, the enterprising manager of the Compagnoni Catering Company in Pitt-street, has further provided for the comfort and pleasure of the public by adding music to the various other attractions of the popular catering establishment under his charge. Orchestral matinees will be held three times a week from three to five in the afternoon.
Selections from the latest and most popular comic operas, and all the newest and latest waltzes will be performed by a first-class, band, under the direction of Herr Gustav Kuster. There will not be any charge for admission. Ladies or gentlemen can sit and enjoy a cup of tea or an ice, and at the same time hear some good music. A preliminary performance took place yesterday afternoon in the presence of several gentlemen, who all expressed their appre ciation of the good music which was performed. The programme for each performance will be pub lished in the daily papers. The first matinee will be held on Friday afternoon next, from 3 to 5. A large number of ladies and gentlemen will no doubt take the opportunity of apending an enjoyable afternoon in one of the coolest cafes which can be found in the colony.
2 December 1885
Ernest Tollemache to Angelo Viney, Compagnoni Cafe
4 August 1886
from Angelo Viney, of Compagnoni's Hotel, Pitt-street, to Henry Adams
Thomas Compagnoni who started it all shot himself in his backyard
at Rosa St., Oatley on the 27 January 1911.