John CARMONT + Elizabeth CAVEN - Dumfries Scotland to Wellington NZ
John CARMONT was born in 1794 in New Abbey. Dunfries & Galloway, South West Scotland
John CARMONT, substanstial farmer married Elizabeth CAVEN in 1826 and had 9 (known) children
They emigrated to New Zealand to be with their daughter, Agnes, who at age 24, had emmigrated to Wellington in October 1850 on the "Phoebe Dunbar" as a steerage passenger as a companion to accompany Marianne Clifford (nee HERCY, daughter of John Hercy, of Crichfield House, Berkshire), the young wife of Mr Charles Clifford (later Sir Charles Clifford) to New Zealand for a period of 3 years, where, at the time, Clifford with two of his cousins held large areas of land in the Waiarapa and Malborough districts.
It appears that John & ELizabeth Carmont arrived into Wellington, via Sydney on the "Marchioness" in September 1857
the children of John CARMON & Elizabeth CAVERN were:
1829 - 1906 Agnes Carmont
- born in Castle Douglas, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
- brought up by her uncle Dr McCARTNEY in Glasgow, had been engaged as a ladies` companion by a Mr & Mrs CLIFFORD who farmed the huge Flaxbourne estate in Marlborough
- she married Hector McDONALD in Wellington in 1854 as his 2nd wife and they had 10 children as well as bringing up Hector's son Hugh from his 1st wife Te Kopi, who had died giving birth. She was a niece of Te RAUPARAHA,
- Hector was a son of Roderick McDONALD & Ann MacLEAN of Scotland
- the 11 children of Agnes & Hector McDonald
1831 - ? Mary Ann Carmont
- nothing is known of Mary Ann
- she was born in Dumfires Scotlnd. Did she too emigrate ??
1832 - 1895 Jane Caven Carmont
1834 - 1916 John McCartney Carmont
1835 - ? Margaret Carmont
- it is reported that Margaret & William had 12 children
- can you help on who they were ?
1841 - 1867 Alexander Carmont
1842 - 1922 Allan John Carmont
1847 - ? Catherine Dubious Carmont