John William Eather 1845-1915
The Division of "Henriendi"
John William was the only son of Thomas Eather (1824-1909) and Eliza Eather nee Crowley (1823-1907) to reach manhood.
By 1897 'Henriendi' had shrunk to a fraction of it's former extent and in 1900 it was resumed by the government and subdivided into 600-acre allotments, which were put up for ballot under a closer settlement scheme. Over the years many members of the Eather family had been involved in partnerships on 'Henriendi' and the subdivision had the effect of bringing some later branches back in control of small portions of the old squattage. Among those who thus became small proprietors on 'Henriendi' were two grand-daughters of James Eather ( 1811-1899 ), Mrs. Leo Guest (Julia Eather) and Mrs. Jim Nelson (Edith Eather) and their brother, Thomas Charles Eather.
The family at Bulga retained interest in the old station after 1900, for John William Eather's six sons by his marriage to Harriet Clark (1849-1928) (daughter of James Swales Clark of Bulga), in 1872, were keen to be able to maintain the links between Bulga and the Namoi. Some of the brothers ballotted unsuccessfully for the Henriendi allotments, but in 1905 they finally persuaded the farmer who had drawn the homestead block, to sell out to them. The old house with the small area of land surrounding it reverted to the ownership of Eathers.
When Reginald Victor Eather, eldest son of John William and Harriet married in November 1910 he took his bride to Henriendi.
The property was passed on to their daughter, Mrs. Charles Cochran, whose son, Malcolm represented the fifth generation of family to live there.
Henriendi could no longer support partnerships on the old scale and Reginald's eldest brother, Arthur Alexander, moved to the Scone district after marrying Jean Pankhurst of Singleton; there, on the upper Hunter, the partnership of Eather Brothers at first leased the homestead area of old Milgarra station at Bunnan and later in 1926 purchased it outright. The families of Arthur Alexander became well established in the district- James Allan and David Arthur at Milgarra, and Archibald Maxwell at Belford, Scone.