KAITAWA, Pahiatua New Zealand
KAITAWA is a small farming district situated 8km south east of Pahiatua along Kaitawa and Tiraumea Roads
Pahiatua is usually regarded as being in the Wairarapa, but for local government purposes it is in the Tararua District, which encompasses Eketahuna, Pahiatua, Woodville and Dannevirke.
The areas of Pahiatua, Kaitawa and surrounding areas were not initiated by the government, but rather their origins were in land speculation.
Several subdivisions were established by private landholders including W. W. McCardle, H. Manns, A. W. and Henry Sedcole, and W. Wakeman.
It is claimed that the first settlers were John Hall who arrived on 28 February 1882, followed by John Hughes the next day.
These men, plus the brothers of Hughes and their families, comprised Pahiatua's population the first summer.
The first school was opened in Kaitawa about 1890 with Mrs Swan (a widow from Tipperary) and 23 children. The mail arrived every Tuesday, Thursay and Saturdays at 3.45pm from Wellington
The Kaitawa Butter Factory was erected and fitted up in November 1894 under the direction of the manager and engineer Mr. Olson
There are about 19-20 settlers and descendants buried in the Kaitawa Cemetery
- Eva 1894-1903
- Charlotte Helen 1866-1929
- George Thomas 1854-1923
- Martha 1832-1916
- Murray Geddis Harrod 1922-1923
- Thomas George ?-1892
- Thomas Tyvie 1914-1914
- May 1879-1892
- Arthur Robert 1874-1943
- Sarah Ann 1839-1891
- Susan 1876-1901
- Anna (nee Haddas/Hadack) 1833-1892
- Johann "John" 1829-1900
- unnkown infant
- Ernest Albert 1878-1906
- Florence Eveline 1880-1904
- Hugh Cecil 1895-1896
- John 1905-1905
- Ethel Eleatha/Elithia 1902-1902