KARORI, Wellington - 1842
the following from NZETC was written about 1928
... Karori devious is approached by tram from Government Buildings, via. Molesworth Street, past the Botanical Gardens to Karori Road, and from Allington and Makara Roads, etc. Wakefield, in his Adventure in New Zealand, refers to Karori in 1842, thus:
In the upland Valley of the Karore, several people had begun to clear. The road had not yet reached this, having to cross a steep part of the Kaiwharawhara Valley, but the clearers used to find their way by an old Maori path and live in the bush for days together.
This valley is situated at the elevation of about 800 feet above sea level, about 2m. S.W. of Wellington by the present road. This tract boasts of the very finest totara and other timber.
The population in 1845 was 215, (over 14,000 in 2006) consisting of 57 males and 49 females (adults), and 49 males and 60 females, under 14. There were 32 couples with families, and 4 without; 17 bachelors, 12 spinsters, 4 widowers, and 1 widow.
In 1845 there were 132 acres cleared. The New Zealand Journal of the 10th March, 1849, states: The present Chief Justice, H. S. CHAPMAN, Esq., of the Southern Province, lives here, and has done much by his good example to encourage the activity and industry of his neighbours. The Karori Stockade was erected on Mr. Chapman's land in the forties, as a rallying place and refuge for the surrounding settlers. It was erected under the supervision of Mr. A. C. STRODE, on the high ground south of the Main Road, and about opposite the English Church. It was apparently never used as a refuge (Best's Old Redoubts, p. 18, N.Z. Inst., vol. 53). The site of 5 acres was given by Mr. Chapman for the English Church and Cemetery.
In 1846 the dwellings of some of the labouring settlers were clustered so as to have the appearance of a village near Mr. Chapman's house. A building had been erected to serve the united purpose of chapel and school, and a shop had been opened. At a fete in 1847, on the opening of the Chapel, it was remarked that out of the whole population of over 200 souls, no death had occurred within a twelvemonth.
The anniversary of the settlement was celebrated on Wednesday, March 4th, 1851, as on former years, by a tea meeting. The attendance was numerous, comprising the bulk of the Karori population, with friends from Wellington. Addresses were delivered by Revs. J. WATKIN, INGLIS, GREEN and WOODWARD.
Mr. HURST's garden is well worth visiting, states the A. and N.Z. Gazette, 14/6/1851.
In 1852, church services were held, the first being in Mr. Stephen LANCASTER's house, called later Chesney Wold. The house is still (1929) standing.
A small hall was built on land given by Mr. HAIRE. This stood on the site of the present Council Chambers. Church services were held here, and a few of the old residents are buried in the vicinity, under the Council Chambers.
The writer was informed by Mr. J. EAGLE, of Parkvale Road, that three people, to his knowledge, named COLLINS, BRODIE, and KELT, were interred there, and that the friends and relatives successfully protested against dances being held in the Council Chambers.
The original Mental Hospital was established at Karori in the early fifties, accommodating a few patients. The first person to be admitted entered the institution in 1854, and it was four years before a second patient was presented. These two were alive in 1897 when the establishment was removed about 1875 to Mount View (Encyclopedia New Zealand, vol. 1, p. 357).
The English Church was built in 1865, the Rev. Thos. FANCOURT being the first preacher. The rev. gentleman preached the sermon at the Jubilee Service (13/8/1916), eleven days before the present church was opened.
The residents living in Karori in 1866 were:
* Mr. and Mrs. H. Allington (schoolmaster);
* W. Barnes,
* W. Bell,
* T. Benton,
* E. Baker (interpreter),
* J. D. Brass,
* J. Brown,
* J. Campbell,
* G. M. Clark,
* J. C. Cole,
* J. Cornford,
* Mrs. Cole,
* R. Donald (tea gardens),
* R. Eagle,
* E. Eagle,
* T. Ellis,
* W. Fawcett,
* D. Fisher,
* G. Grader,
* J. Griffin,
* C. Harris,
* Mrs. W. Holder,
* S. Lancaster,
* J. Lessington,
* P. and N. Monaghan,
* J. Phelps,
* E. Reading (post office),
* S. D. Parnell,
* Mrs. Pimble,
* J. Pimble,
* J. B. Reading,
* R. Richmond,
* W. Sedcole,
* Mrs. S. Sewell,
* Messrs. Smith,
* J. C. A. and J. F. Spiers,
* W. Sutherland,
* R. Taylor,
* J. A. Thompson,
Karori was created a borough in 1891, the first Mayor being Mr. A. LANCASTER.
The councillors for 1896 were:
* H. Dryden,
* C. Dasent,
* F. W. Lewar,
* J. F. Spiers,
* E. Platt.
Mr. W. F. ENGLAND was borough clerk and Mr. BRADNOCK ranger, etc.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, vol. 1, describes Karori as a suburban borough, about 3 miles from town, and best known by its pleasure gardens, kept by Mr. W. H. YOUNG.
Mr. Henry JACKSON, in the same volume, mentions that after the survey of the town was completed, the survey party was engaged in cutting lines on the Karori Road. The Devil's Bridge was named by him.
Mr. BREES reported, on the 2nd March, 1843, that the Karori road had nearly reached the stream. In his Pictorial New Zealand he states: Karori is the only rural district in immediate connection with Thorndon. He shows a table of distances from Wellington to the bridge over the Karori stream (18/8/1844) in his Pictorial New Zealand, and mentions that the present road to Karori commenced at a valley at the back of Thorndon (Hawkestone Street and Tinakori Road).
The Almanac for 1863 contains the following advertisement:DIXON's Karori Hotel, City of Wellington, 3 minutes walk from Government Buildings. (This was later GILLESPIE's.)
The residents on the Karori Road in 1866 were:
* G. Baker,
* N. Benge,
* G. T. Bell,
* J. D. Benge,
* J. Bowler,
* J. D. Calway,
* D. Duck,
* S. Gawith,
* K. Irons,
* J. Leighton,
* Mrs. S. Mason,
* Mr. Martin (schoolmaster),
* W. O'Neill,
* J. Peers,
* C. Simmonds,
* J. Smith,
* E. Thorby,
* J. Booth,
* J. Brown,
* W. Brown,
* Mrs. G. Collier,
* T. Dunn,
* A. Lewer senr. and junr.,
* H. Page,
* A. J. Reading,
* R. Tuckwell.
The N.Z. Mirror, dated 1st March, 1929, has an illustration on page 18, of Mr. and Mrs. Walter HEWITT's house on the Karori Road.
Number 370 (ALDERHOLT) was built sixty years ago, and was occupied by the BEAUCHAMP, and it was here that Miss Beauchamp, under the name of KATHERINE MANSFIELD, wrote many of the books which made her famous.
The cemetery in St. Mary's churchyard contains many plots of the identities, including:
* E. Standen 1869, - Edward age not recorded
* E. Allington 1870,
* J. Cornford 1874, - Joseph age not recorded
* J. P. Jones 1879, - John Pillen aged 47
* J. Aplin 1878, - John aged 36
* R. T. Gaskin 1878, - Richard Thomas aged 31
* M. Hudson 1884,
* P. Kingdon 1887,
* M. Egan 1887, - Myles aged about 59
* Mr. Lancaster 1886,
* Mr. Cole 1889,
* Pratt 1893.
* Miss Amelia Pepper is said to have been the first one buried there.
- Amelia Hall Pepper 1866 age not recorded
Amongst other plots are the
* and Captain Sedcole, whose tall wooden memorial is indecipherable.
The Public Cemetery is approached from Chaytor Street, or old Karori Road, and was opened in 1891.
From information courteously supplied by Mr. E. H. HARLEN, from whom the writer was able to obtain an early photo, the first three burials were:
* F. W. Fish, an infant, 1/8/1891; - Frederick William 4 weeks
* Hessell Dorothy Liviston, 4/2/1892;
* and Henry C. Lake, 6/2/1892.
A memorial cherry tree was planted in the soldiers portion by the officers of the American Navy during their visit to New Zealand in 1925. This tree grows near the memorial Lychgate, on the south side. A kauri tree was planted by Sir James ALLEN as a memorial to the gallant boys buried there. A reproduction of a photo of this incident, taken by the Crown Studio, appeared in an issue of the Dominion 12/11/1926. Illustrations of the Reservoir were shown in the New Zealand Mail, 12/6/1907, and the Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 222, 467 and 797, show the pleasure gardens, etc.,
in 1896. The Karori stream meanders through the Karori Park, and flows into the sea near Tongue Point.