* KELBURN, Wellington - 1860
the following from NZETC was written about 1928
... Kelburn Approached by cable car which leaves Kelburn Avenue, off Lambton Quay, at short intervals, or by The Terrace to Salamanca Road, Upland Road, etc., is named after Viscount KELBURNE, the eldest son of the Earl of Glasgow, Governor of New Zealand, 1892–1897.
The name was at first correctly spelt, but the “e” was dropped to avoid confusion with “Kilbirnie.” Or else that it was put right on a suggestion of Lord Kelburn, and that it was named after a seat of Lord Glasgow, as Fairlie Terrace was named after another seat of the family.
About 1860, Mr. William MOXHAM, who arrived by the “Montmorency” in 1858, leased a few acres of the Educational Reserve, now the Botanical Gardens, and acquired the Upland Farm, of 113 acres.
Coleridge's plan, 1880, and Tronson's, 1888, shows the farm, bounded by the Botanical Gardens, Native Reserve XVb, and The Terrace district below Mitchelltown. The farm was sold in 1896. An undated plan shows sections 1 to 64, sold by Mr. J. B. HARCOURT. A copy of this is lodged in the Harbour Board Office as No. 37/33. KNIGHT's Farm, was auctioned by Bethune and Co. on 15th December, 1905 (W.H.B., 36/33).
The writer has in front of him a view of Kelburn taken from a photo and reproduced in the “New Zealand Mail,” August 1904. The Kelburn car power house is in the foreground, a cable car, some large pines, and a few houses on the hills, complete the picture.
Mr. A. YOUNG's house was one of the first to appear on the scene. The same view, taken on the 12th June, 1907, adds the Tea Kiosk and a few more houses, and gives a general idea of improvement. The visitor to Wellington, with a few moments to spare, will, by entering the cable car, which takes one to the top of the hill, and descending, for a few yards to the right, the path to the Observatory, obtain one of the finest views to be seen anywhere.
Mr. Frank BULLEN, when he visited New Zealand on his lecturing tour, looked down on Wellington from Kelburn top, and wrote:
“It is not often given to the citizens of an important city to be able to get from their offices in a few minutes to homes that occupy exquisitely beautiful points of vantage as regards scenery, and at the same time command an area of immense extent of the sea and harbour of their city. This is essentially the case in Wellington. It is an advantage that is fully appreciated, judging from the extraordinary development that, has taken place during the last few years. Here are to be seen splendid avenues of traffic bounded on both sides by grand buildings, where a generation ago the sullen sea beat incessantly upon long. barren, shallow beaches.”