Last of NH and MA town histories with 1 canada town
Salisbury, Massachusetts was founded in 1638 as a "plantation". In the spring of 1639, the records show that the grantors agreed that each settler should have two pieces of meadowland and a certain amount of planting land, according to wealth of the grantees—four acres to every one hundred pounds.
A strip of territory extended from the Merrimac river north a distance of almost ten miles, including also within its scope what is now the town of Seabrook, a portion of Hampton and Kingston, all three in New Hampshire, the Powwow River on its western border, which separated it from Amesbury and its eastern boundary the Atlantic Ocean.
The first settlement was very near the ocean, where the original land grants were made, and later become known as the East Parish. At first this collection of settlers named their community Colchester, but the General Court in 1640 changed the name to Seabury, by which name it was first incorporated as a town. A goodly number of the immigrants in this town came from Seabury, England.
Of the families first settling Salisbury, Massachusetts the Curriers built ships, saw-mills and laid the first brick for a woolen-mill, the Morrill's, “Ensign Morrill and his two sons” operated the first machinery, the Browns were merchants and mechanics of note, the Rowell's operated brick yards and saw-mills and built the first brick building in 1628 the “Franklin Hawk” building where the first public meeting on slavery was held.
Salisbury, New Hampshire was founded in 1768.
South Hampton, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1742. This town was one of the first granted by Governor Benning Wentworth. When the New Hampshire-Massachusetts border was established in 1741, territory that was in Amesbury and Salisbury, Massachusetts, became part of New Hampshire. South Hampton was chartered in 1742 from that territory.
Much of the area was already settled when the boundary line was changed, and some residents petitioned to become part of a town closer to them. The east end was annexed to Hampton Falls in 1742 and the west side was separated to form Newton in 1748. At one time, the town was home to over twelve different religious sects.
Stanstead County, Canada is situated in the southern part of that portion of Lower Canada, which is called the Eastern Townships. It is bounded on the north by the counties of
Shefford and Sherbrooke, east by Sherbrook County, south by the State of Vermont, USA and west by Miesico and Shefford counties. It is about thirty-eight miles long from east to west and twenty miles wide from north to south and contains about six hundred and thirty square miles.
Wilmington, Massachusetts was first settled in 1665 and was officially incorporated in 1730, from parts of Woburn, Reading and Billerica. Minutemen from Wilmington responded to the alarm on April 19,1775 and fought at Merriam's Corner in Concord. Wilmington men also fought at Bunker Hill. The Middlesex Canal passes through Wilmington.Chartered in 1792 and opened in 1803. It provided freight and passenger transport between the Merrimack River and Boston.